1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Foundation Of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Oct 28, 2015.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been said on here many times that John Calvin coined the acronym T. U. L. I. P and that is true but the points of TULIP are biblical doctrine... So I asked myself what separates those of the Calvinist brethren from the Freewill brethren?... Those of the Calvinist brethren were not always of the Calvinist mindset, they were also of the Freewill brethren and I'm sure if you asked them they would tell you so... Where is the dividing point that separates the two?... You know with the Freewill brethren because their name tells their doctrine... Freewill/Free choice!
    So then what is the foundation of Calvinism?... The foundation of Calvinism is Total Depravity... Without this biblical doctrine all the other points of doctrine fall like dominoes... There is no Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace or Preservation of Saints... In your Total Depravity Jesus Christ saved you Ephesians 2:5 says so: Saved by Grace!
    2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

To further emphasis the point of your Total Depravity, Ephesians 2:8 states once again:
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It was not your Faith that saved you but the Faith of the Son Of God who loved you and gave himself for you... The gift of God... Hebrews 12:2 He was the author and finisher of our Faith... And brethren according to our Total Depravity he tread the winepress alone... Once the dead alien sinner is face to face with his condition, only then does he see the full sovereign grace of God... As the following indicates... Your comments are highly appreciated... Brother Glen

Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved

2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you are mistaken. Cleland Boyd McAfee, a Presbyterian minister, first articulated the acrostic in 1905.

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for clearing that up but that doesn't change the intent of the post... Brother Glen

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, well, actually, no. Dr. Cleland Boyd McAfee, who was on the faculty of McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago, first used the acronym in an article written in 1913.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. In a spoken message. The first printed reference I can find is an article he wrote in 1913. :)

PS, I should have read the entire thread before popping off. You pretty much had it covered. :D

7. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you learn something everyday because I surely thought it was Loraine Boettner in his book "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination" but that was written in 1932. Thanks for the nugget.

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only took about 1800 years to come up with Calvinism/TULIP. Interesting...what would we poor souls have done without this new twist of explaining the Gospel...believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved...no wait...that is be saved and you will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

9. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your facts are all twisted up. The Church is barely 2000 years old and Calvinism originated with the Canons of Dort around 1618 and earlier if you count the Pelagian controversy between Pelagius and Augustine in the 400's.....yeah not quite 1800 years later.

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you may find that it's just a little bit older than that. '.....And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed' (Acts 13:48).

• Like Like x 2
  11. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry brother Martin. Election and Predestination is embraced by both Cal and non-Cal born-again congregations. I could post any scripture as an answer against Calvinism just the same. We are speaking of what man has created to indoctrinate his view upon the subject....Calvinism/TULIP. In fact, non-Cals use sola scripture to preach the Gospel. We have no ism and no acronym for indoctrination. That alone should speak volumes.

12. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah...this.