1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Founding Fathers - and our current "emergency"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding this current situation of the virus, requiring shots, social distance, masks, lockdowns, ect.
    If our founding fathers (Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, ect) were in Charge since Jan of 2020 - how do you think they would have handled this situation? - Both at the State/Commonwealth and Federal level???

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can’t say what they would do, but I’m sure it’s not the way that it’s currently being handled!!!:mad::eek::Devilish

3. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Life was so hard and the life expectancy so short that I don't think anyone would have noticed Covid. In cases of a disease you did notice like small pox, on the frontier they would help you as much as they could and then burn your cabin to the ground so it wouldn't spread. They would even burn down parts of a fort. As a side note, Jonathan Edwards was an advocate of the new smallpox vaccine and he got one and died of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read the OP! - it stated what the founding fathers would have done since 2020
    I specifically worded it that way for the very reasons you mentioned above.

So, lets try it again!

If the founding fathers were in charge since 2020 - what would they have done in regards to the virus.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Washington would have said, “I cannot tell a lie” and then given the truth about infections rates, who was most at risk and what really works to lessen the loss of life.

Adams would have mobilized the response and care for those infected at federal and state level.

Jefferson would have galvanized our response against China and built alliances overseas.

Franklin would have had a drink, found a nice lady and worked on finding a cure.

None would have even thought of using this pandemic to advance a political agenda.

peace to you

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty. Didn't mean any offence. I've studied enough history to know that you can't get anything meaningful from such conjecture because we are all products of our time. I think the founding fathers, if they thought a vaccine would help would have mandated it in a heartbeat. The non Federalists for sure would have left it up to the states or colonies. The founding fathers did not have the views a lot of us think. For instance most of the states had a state sponsored church and financed it with tax dollars. They would take a look around and say the experiment didn't work.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No state had state sponsored churches good grief.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Revmitchell what gave you that idea?
    Massachusettes didn't disestablish the Congregational Church until the 1830s.

10. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Religion in the Original 13 Colonies - Under God - ProCon.org

If you read the article you will find that many of the quotes in my opinion gave a measure of individual freedom that was radical IN THOSE DAYS. The only point I was trying to make is that it is a lot harder than you think to try to make it seem like our founding fathers would approve of our modern politicians.

11. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They knew about pandemics. They had seen them or at least read the history of them. They valued liberty. They put such a strong emphasis on a weak Central govt that there is no way their central govt would have become involved in anything other than advisory role. They would have left it to the states. No way the states would have dared to trample liberty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to say for sure. Perhaps fired, tried, and executed Fauci for traitorous collusion with the enemy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    there wouldn't have been a Fauci.

this is a great topic of discussion ... to highlight how far we have fallen from our Founding.

Patrick Henry ... give me liberty or give me death.

pretty sure he didnt' care if death was by king george or coronavirus. if you catch my meaning.

they certainly wouldn't have affirmatively worked against proper treatment options as our government has done.

#13 Two Wings, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Washington suspected the only available recourse was inoculation, yet contagion risks aside, he knew that a mass inoculation put the entire army in a precarious position should the British hear of his plans. Moreover, Historians estimate that less than a quarter of the Continental Army had ever had the virus; inoculating the remaining three quarters and every new recruit must have seemed daunting. Yet the high prevalence of disease among the army regulars was a significant deterrent to desperately needed recruits, and a dramatic reform was needed to allay their fears.

Weighing the risks, on February 5th of 1777, Washington finally committed to the unpopular policy of mass inoculation by writing to inform Congress of his plan. Throughout February, Washington, with no precedent for the operation he was about to undertake, covertly communicated to his commanding officers orders to oversee mass inoculations of their troops in the model of Morristown and Philadelphia (Dr. Shippen's Hospital). At least eleven hospitals had been constructed by the year's end. ...

Yet the isolated infections that sprung up among Continental regulars during the southern campaign failed to incapacitate a single regiment. With few surgeons, fewer medical supplies, and no experience, Washington conducted the first mass inoculation of an army at the height of a war that immeasurably transformed the international system."

George Washington and the First Mass Military Inoculation (John W. Kluge Center, Library of Congress) (loc.gov)

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. Two Wings

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moses struck the rock the second time, too.

Nobody is perfect.

Pretty sure those shots weren't experimental .. .while not "FDA approved" the Continental Army wasn't the first to be injected.

The military still mandates vaccinations for mobility status ... this cv jab is different, has been documentedly so innumerable times ... and the mass inoculation wasn't for the civilian population.

It's only confirmation bias which influences any kind of equivocation of what we have now to what Washington did then.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty asked what would the Founding Fathers have done. I provided an example from George Washington. Don't read anything more into it than that concerning my views, in case you are. Thank you.

#16 KenH, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Two Wings

Faith:
    Baptist
    you're right. sorry.

Washington did order mass inoculation of the Continental Army. I'm not sure that means he'd have supported what we have been doing ... but yes, factually, you're correct. Again my apologies for failing to remain "on topic."

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How Washington dealt with a pandemic — in the 18th century

How Washington dealt with a pandemic — in the 18th century

As biologist Joshua S. Loomis explains in his book "Epidemics: The Impact of Germs and Their Power Over Humanity," Washington and other founding fathers like John Adams were concerned that because most soldiers in the Continental Army had not been exposed to smallpox as children, they would be susceptible to an outbreak once everyone was living in close quarters. As John Adams argued, "the smallpox is ten times more terrible than Britons, Canadians, and Indians together."

These Founding Fathers' fears were confirmed when an epidemic hit Boston (then controlled by the British) and refugees began to pour in behind American lines. Washington responded by imposing strict quarantine on any soldier showing signs of the disease or who had recently received variolation, an early form of inoculation in which people were infected with substances from the pustules of mildly infected patients.

Just as Biden did with today's military, Washington eventually decided that he needed to require every soldier to receive an inoculation (albeit through variolation), a policy that he secretly implemented during the winters of 1777 and 1778. His plan worked; today many historians argue that it was essential to America's success in the Revolutionary War, as Washington otherwise would have had to waste time fighting outbreaks and possibly lose too many of his troops in the process.

19. Two Wings

Faith:
    Baptist
    BWAHAHAHA!

ludicrous to compare the jab mandate today with Washington's effort to mitigate small pox impact to the fighting force in the Revolutionary War.

But ... ludicrous is what I've come to expect.

No way would any of the FF, even Alex Hamilton, abided in what our government has done in this plandemic.

20. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Washington mandated vaccination such as it existed then. What's the difference?