1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Fourth Commandment

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dr. Walter, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    And of course the Doctor could not resist the temptation--

GE:
    Dear Dr Walter, Does it say ‘Jesus rose early the First Day of the week’? Is it what you wanted to say?

2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Psalm 26:4

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Ps26:4, "I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go with dissemblers."

Dr Walter, Why not verse 5 as well, "I have hated the congregation of evildoers and will not sit with the wicked"?

Afraid? Because it is ME you are referring to?

Or afraid to answer my question, 'Dear Dr Walter, Does it say ‘Jesus rose early the First Day of the week’? Is it what you wanted to say?' IS IT WHAT YOU ARE AFRAID TO ANSWER, Dr Walter?

You remind me of the 'translation'-committees and -commissions of the Afrikaans Bible in South Africa.

4. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
    2 And very early in the morning[proii] the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
    3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
    4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
    5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
    6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.
    7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.
    8 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.
    9 ¶ Now when Jesus was risen early [proii] the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

"Risen" does not refer to rising up from a nap or from a night's sleep in verse nine. Verse 9 uses the same language as verse 2 for the same event - his resurrection. It is his resurrection in verse nine because it identifies the first person he appeared unto - Mary. To suggest that he arose from the grave the previous evening but then took a nap and rose up from the nap Sunday morning is ludicrous. Not only ludicrous, but pure blindness to the language used in verse 2 and verse 9. Mark uses the same term Jesus used in Mark 13 or the technical term of the fourth watch (3am to 6 am) on the first day of the week pin pointing the resurrection of Christ from the grave before sunrise.

Sorry, my mistake I meant Prov. 26:4

#104 Dr. Walter, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:
    Alright then, let’s see—
    This of course is Mk16:1…… verse ONE. Not verse 9.

The time of day given:
    1: “when the sabbath was past”. i.e., after sunset ‘evening’, ‘Saturday’ night.
    9: “early on the First Day”, i.e., after sunrise, on ‘Sunday’ morning.

The Verb of the sentence:
    1: “had bought”.
    9: “appeared”.

The Subject:
    1: “Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome”.
    9: “He (Jesus)”.

Place of occurrence:
    1: At the traders.
    9: In the garden.

Present at place:
    1: The three women themselves.
    9: Mary Magdalene and Jesus.

Witnesses (angels):
    1: None.
    9: “He appeared to Mary (alone) first” while two angels were inside tomb, Jn20:11-17.

Semblance between verses 1 and 9: None.

Dr Walter’s comment: “¶ And when the sabbath was past, …… 9 ¶ Now when Jesus was risen early [proii] the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene……

Note Dr Walter’s use of the bullet-sign, supposed to indicate the same time for supposedly the same event.
    Conclusion: A misleading indicator.

Let’s look at verse 2:
    The time of day given:
    2: “very early in the morning”. i.e., BEFORE just “early[proii]. i.e., EARLIER than “early”-‘proii’-AFTER-sunrise. Therefore, “VERY early”-‘lian proh-i’, BEFORE sunrise ‘Sunday’ “morning”.
    9: “early on the First Day”, i.e., after sunrise, “early[proii] ‘Sunday’ morning because Mary thought Jesus was the gardener who would start work, sunrise.
    Conclusion: It makes good sense, because according to Mk16:2 Jesus had not appeared yet.

The Verb(s) of the sentence:
    2: “come / arrive”; “said”; “behold”; “saw”.
    9: “appeared”.

The Subject:
    2: “they (women)”.
    9: “he (Jesus)”.

Place and purpose of occurrence:
    2: “unto the sepulcher”--- “specifically”-‘EPI to mnehma’, TO MAKE SURE.
    9: In the garden, outside and some distance away from the tomb, TO FIND OUT.

Present at place:
    2: women not specified.
    9: only Mary Magdalene and Jesus.

Witnesses (angels):
    2: one angel “sitting on the right side” inside tomb.
    9: “He appeared to Mary (alone) first” while two angels were inside tomb away from Jesus appearing to Mary.

#105 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 22, 2010
  6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Semblance between verses 2 and 9: None.

Dr Walter commented: “[proii]”: “…very early in the morning[proii] the first day”; “Verse 9 uses the same language as verse 2 for the same event - his resurrection”.

Note that Dr Walter does not give the whole time-phrase --- “lian proh-i anateilantos tou hehliou”, “VERY early daybreak / sunrising” --- only what suits his agenda, so as to make it appear the same event and the same time of event, falsely insinuating it was the Resurrection that occurred “very early in the morning[proii] the first day”, falsely suggesting Appearance and Resurrection occurred simultaneously.

Conclusion: The event of verse two was much earlier than the event of the first Appearance according to verse 9, and certainly not the already past Resurrection!

Now, let’s look Dr Walter’s further comments:

My question remains for Dr Walter to answer,
    Does “Now when Jesus was risen early [Gr. proee] the first day……” mean Jesus was raised “early [Gr. proee] the first day”? Put in other words, Does “"Risen" in verse ninerefer to Jesus ‘rising up’ from the dead early [Gr. proee] the first day”?

So here we find Dr Walter’s answer to my above question, “It is his resurrection in verse nine because it identifies the first person he appeared unto - Mary.

Conclusion One:
    Superior logic! “It is his RESURRECTION in verse nine because it identifies the first person he APPEARED unto - Mary”!

Conclusion Two:
    Superior Grammar Skills: A Participle is not a Participle but a Verb; and a Subject of a sentence is not the Subject but the Object.

GE;
    I suppose it is! But who, suggested it? No other than Dr Walter who supposed these suppositions.

GE:
    Absolutely! That’s why Dr Walter could make such suppositions, “pure blindness to the language used in verse 2 and verse 9”!

#106 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 22, 2010
  7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Dr Walter, are you speaking about verse 1 or verse 2 or verse 9 now? According to the above analysis, you speak about the time-phrases in all three verses as if they were one and ‘the same’. Nevertheless --- even had all three verses used “the same (technical) term of the fourth watch (3am to 6 am) on the first day” --- kindly ‘pin point’ the words or concepts that say or indicate “the resurrection of Christ from the grave before sunrise on the first day of the week”? Please do not answer, “It is his RESURRECTION in verse nine because it identifies the first person he APPEARED unto - Mary”!” Appearance is only possible after Resurrection and Resurrection only before Appearance, and Mark in 16:9 speaks of Jesus who “As The Risen early on the First Day of the week APPEARED to Mary Magdalene first.”

Dr Walter, before you attempt to find those words or indicators; they are not there; they are non-existent; they are not even hinted at or suggested or imagined --- anywhere in Scripture. It’s all your own surmising they are in the Text. They are not in the verses we have been looking at, and they are in NO Scripture at all in any manner whatsoever.

Because the ONLY Scripture that (by implication) supplies information IN SO MANY WORDS about the day and time of day of Jesus’ resurrection, is Matthew 28:1, and it, places the circumstances of the Resurrection --- QUOTING: “Fully on the Sabbath Day mid-afternoon as daylight began to incline towards the First Day of the week.

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

IF the women got there Saturday evening, Our SDA friend will have to explain how is it the women began while it was yet "dark" and yet got there at the "rising of the Sun" "morning" and "dawn"? When it gets dark on Saturday night it STAYS DARK till Sunday morning. But these women started when it was already dark and then the terms "morning" "rising of the sun" "dawn" "early" are used to describe their arrival time at the seplechure. This only makes sense if they began in the dark sometime between 3am to 6am at the fourth watch (proii) and arrived when the sunlight was just beginning to dawn or in the twilight of morning

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
    2 And very early in the morning [Gr. proii] the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising [Gr. anatello "rising UP"] of the sun.

Lu 24:1 ¶ Now upon the first day of the week, very early [Gr. proii] in the morning, [Gr orthos day break] they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Joh 20:1 ¶ The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Now when Jesus was risen early [Gr. proii] the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. - Mk. 16:9

Mt 28:1 ¶ In the end of [Gr. opse - after] the sabbath, as it began to dawn [Gr. epiphosko - get brighter] toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

You don't need Greek or grammar, but just common sense and the ability to read English to tell that these women did not come Saturday evening after 6 p.m but came Sunday morning between 3am to 6am at sunrise.

1. Every text above gives the day they came - the first day of the week

And very early in the morning the first day of the week - Mk 16:2

Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, - Lk. 24:1

The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early - Jn. 20:1

Mt 28:1 ¶ In the end of [Gr. opse - "after"] the sabbath, as it began to dawn [epiphosko - to get brighter] toward (eis - into) the first day of the week,

2. Every text above gives the time they came to the tomb was at sunrise

a. "sunrise" (not sunset)
    b. "morning" (not evening)
    c. "early" proii - 3am to 6pm or 4th watch
    d. "dawn" - epiphosko - to get brighter (not darker)

3. They started while it was yet "dark" between 3 a.m to 6am

4. They arrived at sunrise not sunset

5. The rest of the women went back but Mary stayed.

6. Jesus rose between 3 am. to 6 a.m and then appeared to Mary.

Thus the clear chronological order is as follows:

1. Began their journey while it was yet dark between 3 am to 6pm Sunday Morning.
    2. They came "early" on the first day of the week
    3. They arrived at the selphchre at SUNRISE Sunday morning.
    4. They got their at Sunrise while it was twilight, saw it was empty and all the women but Mary Magnalene ran back to tell the apostles.
    5. Jesus appeared to Mary - Mk 16:9.

It is just that simple and that clear.

There was a "watch" at the tomb (Mt. 28:11)and the precise watch is designated by the repeated Greek term "proii" or the fourth watch between 3am to 6am.

Our SDA friend will have to make change the common technical meaning of "proii" mean something else

Our SDA friend will have to make "sunrise" mean sunset

Our SDA friend will have to change "morning" to evening

IF the women got there Saturday evening, Our SDA friend will have to explain how is it the women began while it was yet "dark" and yet got there at the "rising of the Sun" "morning" and "dawn"? When it gets dark on Saturday night it STAYS DARK till Sunday morning. But these women started when it was already dark and then the terms "morning" "rising of the sun" "dawn" "early" are used to describe their arrival time at the seplechure. This only makes sense if they began in the dark sometime between 3am to 6am at the fourth watch (proii) and arrived when the sunlight was just beginning to dawn or in the twilight of morning

#108 Dr. Walter, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Absolutely! All you need is eyes to see what you say yourself, dear Dr Walter. But you seem to be blind to what you say yourself..... that's the problem, not only with you, but with just about every 'traditional Christian'. You NEED AN EYE-OPENER!

And I am, God willing, going to give it to you, were it my last day alive.

#109 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 23, 2010
  10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First off.....

GE:
    I am NO Seventh-day Adventist OR COG Arian! I am --- I thank God I may and can believe and confess with my heart and mouth and pen and life (though ever sinful) --- a Reformed Protestant Christian according to the Apostolic Confession and Confession of Athanasius, and the Formulae of Unity the Netherlands Confession of Faith, the Heidelberg Catechism and the Canons of Dordrecht with two reservations about the Sunday and water-baptism. For which latter two reasons I am excommunicated, banned, and persecuted— ever more cruelly for its sophisticated ways and methods, but that I accordingly find greater comfort, peace and joy in the Lord Jesus my Lord and Saviour for the sake of His Honour. Sola Gratia! Solus Christus!

#110 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 23, 2010
  11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Next….

GE:
    Unfortunately you do need Greek grammar, especially since the twentieth century and the appearance of so many new ‘Versions’ and ‘Translations’ and ‘Bibles’ that go out of their way and completely off The Way of Christ and Truth in order to entrench ‘Tradition’ --- “the traditions of men” and of antichrist Rome.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Therefore….

GE:
    Re:

IF the women got there …..
    The basic premise of your argument, contra- or pro-, is, A single arrival and presence of all the women together and at once at the grave, WHILE, the Resurrection occurred. That, is the crux of your premise. There are multiple interrelated reasons why that cannot have been the case, and the Gospel is one; it NEVER contradicts itself.

Re:
    “…. how is it the women began while it was yet "dark"….”
    “….the women began….” “Began” to do what? Began to go to the tomb. Where do we read about that? In any texts thus far ‘looked at’ in this discussion? Mark? Luke? John? You will not find in any of these Gospels that the women ‘began’, ‘to get there’, i.e., at the tomb.

In John, “Mary had had stood after next to the grave”; In Mk16:2 the women “come” or “arrive”, “upon the tomb”. In Luke, “they came unto” but in Greek the same as in Mark, “upon”-‘epi’ the tomb. In all three Gospels we find the women at the grave having HAD arrived there and the rest of what immediately AFTERWARDS happened; in neither what happened BEFORE or how or when they “started” to get there!

In other words, Each Gospel records an ACCOMPLISHED VISIT AT the tomb.

Now to ‘interpret’ this fact for the same and only visit to, or, at, the tomb, is in no way guaranteed by it; the fact each Gospel records an accomplished visit at the tomb DOES NOT MEAN IT IS THE ONLY OR THE SAME visit. Each Gospel can and in fact does record ITS OWN SEPARATE AND ACCOMPLISHED VISIT AT the tomb.

This is the alternative to solving every of the assumed ‘discrepancies’ about the Gospels’ ‘stories’ which I have proposed now for over 40 years which no one would even look at but couldn’t counter with a better solution OR, could substantiate a single flaw from!

Therefore: It is not simply a matter of “When it gets dark on Saturday night it STAYS DARK till Sunday morning”. The night has its own twelve hours and each ‘part’ or ‘watch’ of night (4x) MUST be distinguished by the degree or stage or ‘hours’ of night of its occurrence.

It is most significant that the individual events and time-indications in the four Gospels historically, logically and chronologically, PERFECTLY SYNCHRONISE. So there is no such ‘problem’ as
    No; Every Gospel uses
    1) different words for
    2) really different TIMES; of
    3) different events of VISITS— of or by
    4) different PERSONS under
    5) different CIRCUMSTANCES at
    6) different PLACES—
    EVERYTHING is different but for the similarity every Gospel records A, VISIT, AT, the tomb.

13. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Walter,

re: "It would not..."

What "would not"?

re: "...IF you count what John identifies in verse 19 as "the SAME day" as the first day in this number of eight."

But why do you HAVE to do that? Why not just take the "after eight days" comment to mean exactly what it says. What is there in scripture that makes it necessary for you to try to find a way to make "after eight days" wind up on the first day of the week?

And I ask again; If John had said in verse 26 that "after one day, His disciples were again inside..." to what day would John be referring?

#113 rstrats, Jun 23, 2010
  14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Granted - but to suggest that people were fasting "twice each Sabbath" instead of "twice a week" is also ludicrous.

And the fact that the term "Sabbath" in Acts 13, Acts 17, Acts 15 is "still" the designated name given to the creation memorial 7th day refutes the obtuse "Sabbath means Sunday" speculation.

in Christ,

Bob

15. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Not if there are TWO Sabbaths, a high sabbath and a regular sabbath.

16. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Correct Luke not me, because I am just following how he counted the prophesy of three days. He started his counting with the first day as day one. I will follow an inspired man and you can follow whoever you like.

17. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Don't put words in my mouth that I never said. I said the resurrection occurred during the fourth watch which the term "proii" is a technical designation of the fourth watch just as Jesus used it in the same book for the fourth watch (Mk 13:35; 16:2,9). That spans a period between 3am to 6am. Jesus arose BEFORE the women got there not "while" the resurrection occurred as you falsely represent me. I NEVER said that anywhere. So your first STRAW MAN argument perishes.

18. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Every single account uses the SAME day of arrival to the tomb:

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
    2 And very early in the morning [Gr. proii] the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising [Gr. anatello "rising UP"] of the sun.

Lu 24:1 ¶ Now upon the first day of the week, very early [Gr. proii] in the morning, [Gr orthos day break] they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Joh 20:1 ¶ The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Now when Jesus was risen early [Gr. proii] the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils. - Mk. 16:9

Mt 28:1 ¶ In the end of [Gr. opse - after] the sabbath, as it began to dawn [Gr. epiphosko - get brighter] toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

All the texts use expressions that are either identical or synonymous for the same time of arrival by all the women on the same day.

1. Mark 16:2 uses "proii" "early in the morning" with "at rising of the sun" on the first day of the week.

2. Mark 16:9 uses "proii" "early in the morning" on the first day of the week.

3. Luke 24:1 uses "proii" or "very early in the morning" on the first day of the week

4. John 20:1 uses "proii" or "early" when it was yet "dark" on the first day of the week.

5. Matthew 28:1 uses the term "dawn" which represents a Greek word that means to "GET BRIGHTER" not darker, therefore the exact time as in the other three gospels (morning, rising of the sun). This was "opse" or "AFTER" the Sabbath and "toward" (eis) or INTO the first day of the week.

Numbers 1-4 above are IDENTICAL as to the day and as to the time of the day with the identical women "they" and they are named in Mark 16:1 and Mary Magdalene is named in all four accounts because she is specifically the one that Jesus appeared to that same morning. So there can be no debate that 1-4 happen on the same day - the first day of the week at the same time in that day - proii - early morning - rising of the sun - dawn (getting brighter) or "early".

19. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

This is pure imagination gone wild. Every text identifies it as the SAME DAY - the first day of the week. Every text identifies it as the same time on the same day "proii" "early" "early in the morning" "at the rising of the sun" "dawn".

Every text includes all the women with Mary Magdalene - "they" doing the SAME THING come to prepare the body.

John gives no mention of any women but Mary Magdalene but resistrict it to the same day, same time in the day and it perfectly harmonizes with the same events recorded by the other gospel writers on the same day at the same time of that day.

20. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

the Gospel of John excludes all the women but Mary Magdelene but includes everything that the other gospels declare that Mary Magdelene did with all the other women. Going to tell the disciples and their responses. It pinpoints it at the very same time on the very same day with all the rest of the women. In each of the gospel accounts the emphasis is upon Mary Magdelene and no wonder John simply zeros in on her at the exclusion of all the rest even though they were present with her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.