1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Freedom of the Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God rested from creation on the Seventh Day. All who live now were created in Adam, and when Adam was corrupted, all were corrupted.

3. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Yes... well.. Exceptions perhaps? :D:D

I honestly haven't settled on this issue yet. I doubt I ever will. But I know that I Can make a good case for Calvinism if I proof text enough and I can make a great case for Arminianism if I proof text enough...:smilewinkgrin:

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While it's true God is not the author of confusion. We should set out to see who is confused me or you. So answer this oh great Biblicist. If you are indeed elect and not a Jew show me with scripture that you are in fact particularity elect. Show me with scripture just where it says man is totally depraved. Prove any part of the tulip with scripture. Admit it you can't and you loose and you are confused.
    Of course I've read it many times. But you don't study scripture you analyze it to suit your own purposes and you do it with out dependence on God for a thing. Other wise we would think alike

Your wrong I am willing just not able to do God's work with out God. I've been willing ever since I was saved. Unlike you I wasn't forced to serve God.
    2Co_8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
    Because you don't have the will does not mean God makes me willing. You need to depend on God my friend and you need to be willing your self. God does not make anyone do anything with out there willingness to comply.
    MB

5. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

The funny thing is is that Calvinism hold that God causes them to persevere to the end and yet no Calvinist would ever admit that they have never backslidden. But of Calvinists applied their view of "ordained" consistently, then according to Eph 2:10 they would never backslide. They repeatedly affirm that man has nothing to do with salvation, that God determines your salvation, but yet God doesn't determine your works? God makes you get saved but doesn't make you obey Him? That is pretty odd considering that the Calvinists salvation depends upon their perseverance, which means that perseverance is part of the salvation process, yet if it is part of the salvation process then common sense would tell you that not only would God irresistibly save you , He would irresistibly force you to be in constant total perfection.

This is why a Calvinist has to explain that dichotomy in terms of "never saved in the first place". Thus there can never be any real assurance of salvation with a Calvinist. A Calvinist can not say he is saved today, and then tomorrow do something that proves he was never saved in the first place.

Hogwash.

6. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You definitely hear this come out in the mainstream preaching community which is basically all Calvinist. I understand the idea of bending towards the conservative right to keep straight. However sometimes it can be ground shattering to listen to these guys for too long and just tear into because you don't live up to all 10/10 of the commandments as a regenerated creature therefore you probably arnt saved.

GULP.

7. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

What is also shows is that even though they claim that God is who causes them to persevere (based on a fundamental misunderstanding of verses like Phil 2:12-13) in their works, it is still SALVATION BY WORKS no matter WHO does the persevering. God does not hold the believer in His hand THROUGH PERSEVERANCE OF WORKS, He holds us in His hand by a judicial declaration of not guilty based on the finished work of Christ (Col 2:13-14, Rom 3:24-25). Thus the Calvinist theology denies the finished work of Christ and relies on perseverance of works toward salvation, and works as assurance of salvation.

"Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt." Rom 4:4
    "Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" Gal 3:3

#87 DrJamesAch, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this is true it is news to me.

9. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Most people don't notice that about the "P" in TULIP. It is PERSEVERANCE not PRESERVATION. The "P" in TULIP is NOT the same as eternal security. I can show citation after citation of early Calvinist theologians that demonstrate their salvation is brought about by God causing them to PERSEVERE to the end. Only recently have the Reformers attempted to blend eternal security with Perseverance of the Saints, but it must be understood that eternal security is NOT a Calvinist doctrine. The OSAS of the pre-Reformation Baptists is not the same doctrine as the traditional Perseverance of the Saints taught by Calvinism. This is why fundamental Baptists reject ALL 5 POINTS.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I said Aaron:thumbs:

11. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dr.JamesAch this post made me think of this for you.

[​IMG]

:D haha

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You are exactly right. I have been trying to explain this to folks on here for years.

Contra-causal free will is a myth- far less possible than winged Pegasus.

You choose to do what you want to do but you want what you want because of your nature.

You will is not free from the laws of logic.

There are reasons people choose what they choose. Those reasons command the will to choose what it chooses.

The will is not free.

13. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

LOL, that is AWESOME!!

14. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I believe both sides have no clue what the will is and the more they educate themselves by wrong teachings the further in miss understanding they go. Our will that is contrary to the word of God is not the will of God for our lives. Our prayer is that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven. This is done by casting out the wicked will out of our life and taking on the will of God found in His word. We before was doing our own will not His. It is His word that is Spirit and is life that is changing us into the new creation chosen before foundation of the world the old creation is made for destruction. We who are born again can see it decaying before our eyes but what we don't see the inside changing be renewed by His word but we see the results.

We by our free agency can say not my will but your will be done.

When God places life and death before us we can be like Paul and follow where Jesus is leading us to or be like the young rich ruler and walk away believing what you have is more important and walk away blind.

#94 psalms109:31, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  15. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. I can't prove anything to anyone who has already made up their mind that it cannot be proven to them. Only God can change a person like that. I leave you to his hands.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd rather be in His hands than in your ideas. You have shown that you are confused because you cannot give a proper answer. The same is true with most Calvinist yet blindly they stand there ground defying God's truth.
    MB