1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Fuel Of The Future

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Sep 6, 2005.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I ran across this while looking into alcohol as a fuel for lightweight backpacking stoves and found it interesting.

<snip>

SOURCE

It would appear that that oil industry has worked very hard to get us and keep us addicted to their product and against the use of a promising easily renewable fuel from very early on. Not to mention the use of the media for propaganda campaigns to turn public opinion their way starting in the 1930's. HMMMMMM.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Come on Ponch. You don't think the wonderful, sweet, public serving oil industry would ever act in their own self interest to keep us totally dependent on their product so they can bleed us for every penny they can get, do you?

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Well, now that I've had a couple hours to sleep on it. No. Your probably right.

Guess I must have lost my head again, whatsa matter with me acting so un American and questioning authority like that? Please don't tell anyone else about this okay C4K? I wouldn't want any of my Republican friends to find out about this. Oh the shame of it all. If you could only see the hang dog look on my face right now. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ September 06, 2005, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: poncho ]

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Ponch, I will forgive you and won't tell anyone. But remember in the future it is unpatriotic and unchristian to ever question or be critical of any powers that be.

Please be more like the puppy in the future, tied to that little rope.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

BoW WoW! And thanks a million brother. How can I ever repay you? [​IMG] I am one happy dog now! I'm even wearing my UN blue bowtie to show my patriotism!

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

On a more serious (perhaps) note. I have known the Ford story for years. Over and over again there has been an attempt to convert to alcohol based fuels. Even if we introduced ethanol or other alcohol based fuels into gasoline at a 75 gasoline, 25 ethanol ration we would our dependence on Big Brother Oil by 25%!

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I just happened on this Ford story. I have been looking into the idea of building a backyard still to make alcohol for fuel. It doesn't seem to me to be to far fetched of an idea that through some kind of community type co op that we could by pass the big companies strangle hold on our energy sources.

I don't know about Ireland but in Canisteo we have corn growing everywhere. Up on the hill we have a cider press my friend's family has run for years. He could make the squeezins and ferment the mash and run it to a community distillery set up in one of the vacant buildings of Marion Rohrs in Hornell.

Marion Rohrs was a textile plant that went under two or three years ago. I dunno, maybe it's too much to ask. There I go using my noodle to think for myself again. I tell ya, I'm hopeless.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Not corn (maize) here but safflower. HUge fields of it, and potatoes by the bushel.

The fuel is out there.

A guy here also goes fish and chip shops, gets paid to haul off their used cooking oils (WVO), filters it, then burns it in place of deisel fuel!

And Ponch, please remember, no thinking allowed.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Oh boy we got some huge tater fields around here too in Wayland NY. I gotta believe the exhaust fumes from a car run on used grease from a fish and chips joint would make me hungry.

Thinking is bad I know I've gotta break that ugly habit somehow. Maybe I could watch the Fox news channel 24 hours a day or something.

Well, I gotta go get ready to use some more denatured alcohol at work to prime aluminum frames for caulking like I've been doing for over a decade and a half now.

This stuff is poison and will kill ya by just touching it did you know that? I just heard about it. And stay away from that Sterno stuff too Whoa!

Talk with ya later. ;)

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ethanol has just been introduced at a 10% mix into Australia as a result of the actions of the Farmers Co-operative, maybe U.S farmers should get together and take the oil companies on?

- Introducing SAFF's newest renewable fuel... 'Bio Petrol'

Bio Unleaded 95 and Bio Premium Unleaded 98 are the environmentally friendly fuels for petrol vehicles.  Both Bio Petrols meet all requirements for Australian Standard Petrol.

SAFF Bio Unleaded 95 and Bio Premium Unleaded 98 is a cleaner burning premium quality petrol containing 10% Bioethanol to provide a higher octane rating and the proprietary Bi-Tron Gasoline conditioner, which improves performance and fuel economy.  The Bi-Tron component also acts as a lead replacement additive, ensuring SAFF Bio Petrols are fully compatible with engines designed to run on Super, Unleaded or Premium Unleaded petrol.

What is Bioethanol?

Bioethanol is a fully renewable fuel alcohol made from Australian grown agricultural products including wheat and sugarcane.  Simply put, it is the same alcohol that is in beer, wine and spirits, which is purified and dehydrated for use in petrol fuels.  Bioethanol is also called Ethanol and has been used successfully as a fuel improvement additive in eastern Australia, USA, Brazil and Europe for several years.

Bioethanol, as a renewable fuel, reduces the Greenhouse Gas emissions from SAFF Bio Petrols by up to 10% when compared with regular petrol fuels.  Its improved combustion properties also reduce harmful exhaust emissions, including a reduction in carbon monoxide by up to 30%.

http://www.farmersfuel.com.au/Bio%20Unleaded%20Petrol.htm

11. billwald

billwald New Member

Personal experience indicates that gasohol reduces MPG by at least 10%.

An acre of potatos is NOT going to produce enough alky to run a farm's worth of machinery for years. That might have been true when a farm consisted of 20 acres.

Further, the decaying vegetation produces natural fertilizer and food for the bugs and worms. If every thing is scrounged for alcohol it will be self defeating. Potatos are better used for vodka.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

SOURCE

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes:

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist