1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Fullness of Time - The Coming of Christ - The End of the World

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JD731, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:56 AM.

1. JD731

JD731 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ga 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

This is not a thread on the subject of eschatology. It is a thread on understanding Bible terms and believing what you read. The above statement is clear and precise and means what it says. What does it say? It says 4 things.

1) God's Son came in the fullness of time
    2) The Fullness of time began when he was born of the virgin
    3) He was born and ministered under the divine principle of the law of Moses
    4) God sent him.

These are simple statements but if one does not believe that Jesus Christ is ministering at the end of a particular time then there is no chance to understand most of the NT. None, Nada, Zilch. The person who does not understand this stands with the congregation that cannot wait to be deceived by religious charlatans, and by even a few who means well.

Actually, we learn from reading our Bibles that the fullness of time, meaning the completion of time, is brought about by the beginning of something else. Here it is stated by Mark;

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

You can read it for yourself but Mark sets the beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ at the announcement to Israel by John the Baptist that the Lord is come. So, there can be no doubt that the beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ is in the fullness of time, that is if one believes the words he reads in the record that God has given us.

Let me just point out a very important point before I move on from Ga 4:4. The word "time" is singular. Don't miss that because we will find later that God wants us to see this time apart from other "times" that he makes.For instance, we have a similar phrase in Eph 1. It says this;

Eph 1:10 10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

You will notice that times is a plural word here and it is also designated by the writer as a dispensation.Now, whatever the reader believes about dispensations, and that subject is not what this thread is about, the fact is that the writer says some things are going to happen in what he calls "the dispensation of the fullness of times." This would suggest to any honest reader that there must be other "times" is this is a fullness of all of them, or at least, more than one of them.

The Ephesian fullness and the Galatians fullness is noted by the same man. He wrote Galatians in AD 49 and Ephesians in AD 60. In Galatians he wrote about a "time" that had already passed when he wrote it and in Ephesians he writes about a future time. I know that because of what he says will happen in that time, or dispensation, if you will. Those things have not happened yet. You can read the text for yourself and learn what those things are.

Now, I can and will present many things that are relevant to the fullness of time that Paul mentions in Galatians. They will include many things in the gospel accounts since that is when Jesus ministered on earth. One would expect to find them there in the context of a fullness and what should happen and what actually did happen that has effected the times following it including our time in which we are living today.The language of the ministry of Jesus Christ suggests a completion and I will show it to you.

Following is the only point I will make concerning this fullness of time in this op. In Hebrews 1:1 we read these words;

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

The writer is writing this about the Galatian 4:4 time that has already reached it's fullness and has now passed at the writing. Hebrews was probably written circa AD 66. God spoke to the Hebrews through much of that Galatians 4:4 time by the prophets of Israel but in the last days of it, he spoke to the Hebrews by his Son in person. He wants us to understand that the son who has spoken to him had made all the worlds, ages, of which this age was one. I know that because of many things but here is just one of them.

Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
    26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world (kosmos = physical earth): but now once in the end of the world (aion = age) hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

When did Jesus "appear" to put away sin? Was it in the end of the world? Hardly, because the world has continued for 2000 years since then. It was in the end of the Galatians 4:4 world.

Hebrews has 3 different worlds in view.

1) The one that is past
    2) The present one
    3) The world to come.

We have been speaking of the one past.

The present:

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
    16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
    17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
    18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.

Heb 2:5 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.
    Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come.

The powers are the miracles.

Why does this matter in the context of this forum. It is because Calvinists do not apply the words of God correctly and have built a whole systematic structure on false applications of the words and without regard to the divinely appointed contexts.It is through this thread that I will attempt to correct them with the truth. I will demonstrate that their applications of passages like John 6 is a means to blind sinners eyes, not enlighten them. Reformed people are deceived and the teachers of it are deceiving others. This I can prove.

It is my purpose to magnify and exalt our Lord Jesus Christ with this thread and point others to salvation through him.

2. timtofly

timtofly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Second Coming is the fullness of the church age, and the fullness of Adam's 6000 years of punishment. All in Adam must die, because Adam's sin nature has run it's course. The next Millennium will be under Jesus Christ and the rod of iron. Rebellion will be outright, not because of a sinful nature. It will be like the two sons in Christ. Some will remain faithful to Christ, their "father". Some will remove themselves as far from Jerusalem as they can. Some will return in repentance. Some will gather with Satan at the end of the Millennium.

3. JD731

JD731 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

The declaration made in Galatians 4:4 concerning Jesus Christ coming in the fulness of time and in the end of the world is not going away and everything about his ministry in the gospels unless expressly stated, is in that time period between his birth and his death on the cross. In Matt 5:17 that I have quoted above is about a fulfillment, which takes place at the end of a prophetic strain Fulfill, end, fulness, finish. Now, I would ask the reader to read Matt 5:17 and determine if Jesus really said he came to fulfill the law and the prophets. A word of caution here; it is important to read exactly what Jesus said. He did not say that he came “and” fulfilled the law and the prophets but that he came “to” fulfill.

1) Fullness of time
    2) Fulfill the law and the prophets.

This is end of the world stuff.It is the gospel, the good news, the glad tidings of Jesus Christ that Mark, in his chapter 1, said began when John the Baptist announced his presence in Israel to that people.

Well, to whom was the Law of Moses given and to whom and through whom did the prophets speak? We have this declaration from the apostle Paul.

Rom 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
    4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
    5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.

Read those words above carefully and ask yourself if you believe them. These are the only people that Jesus Christ is dealing with in the fullness of time which is the end of the world, when he was sent by God through the virgin Mary. Now, anyone reading this should realize that Paul is speaking about people who received this law and these promises before the fulness of time and the end of the world but that Jesus Christ said he came to fulfill them.

1) Fulfilling the law and the prophets in the fullness of time. The end of the world. Following is another declaration within the theme of a completion. Read it here;

Romans 15:8
    Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

The term circumcision is a term used to denote Israel and the fathers are those of the former days of Israel. He says what Jesus was, indicating his earthly ministry before the cross. This statement too has a finality to it. Once the promises are confirmed, what next?

This is all I have time for now but I have much to show concerning Israel’s response to Jesus Christ in this time and how Jesus handled it.

4. JD731

JD731 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

The end of the world, the fullness of time, means a harvest. The end of a season is when the land owner gathers his crop. Here, Jesus has come at the end of the world, according to Gal 4:4, but here in this passage he is speaking about how good the harvest is but complains about how few laborers he has. Matthew has 28 chapters. This is chapter 9. Noting this will become very important later when we see the wise way in which our Lord remedies this. But we are not talking about that now. We are talking about the coming of Christ in the end of the world, the fullness of time, the harvest, in Matt 9 of 28 chapters.

But what I want you to see here is that this end of the season when the harvest is ripe is the same time of Galatians end of the world, fullness of time. It is the very last days as is stated in Hebrews 1:1. The harvest time is complete and it is evening when no man can work anymore. All the harvest that can be gathered is gathered

Jn 9:4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. The payroll is next.

I know this because the very next thing that is said is following;

17 And Jesus going up to Jerusalem took the twelve disciples apart in the way, and said unto them,
    18 Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,

LK 17:7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
    8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
    9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
    10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
    11 And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.

Thankfully, our gracious Lord is so kind. He called these workers "servants" and so they were. But later, he moved them up in his evaluation of them and called them "friends." Watch this;

John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

One thing he has not called them in that world is "sons." He will call them sons in the next world after he has ended this world by his death and he will live in them through his Spirit that he will give each of them, and us, who believes in him.

1 Jn 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

I am speaking about a harvest time in the end of the world, the fullness of time, that has nothing to do with gentiles, Baptists, Calvinists, Reformed and to warn modern day religious people that if they go to those passages to prove their status as being part of that harvest, they are at the very best as confused as a termite in a yo-yo.

I will continue to prove this later. Meanwhile, let no person living today think they are chosen of God because of anything that is said in Jn 6.

#4 JD731, Jul 30, 2020 at 9:09 AM
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 9:15 AM
  5. JD731

JD731 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ga 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
    Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days (of the fullness of time) spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world (kosmos): but now once in the end of the world (age) hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
    Matt 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

So, Jesus came in the fulness of time, in the last days of the end of the age, to fulfill the law and the prophets of the OT. According to Paul in Rom 15 he came to confirm the promises made unto the fathers of Israel. Did he come to fulfill the law and the prophets like he said? If a man does not believe he did he should admit it and close the book and do something else with his time.

Given that we now agree that our Lord Jesus Christ came to fullfill the law and the prophets, we can ask to whom he came. What was the scope of his ministry at his first coming in the fulness of that time, in the last days? We are not left to guess about that. He says plainly what the scope of his ministry is and he had scribes to write it down and preserve it so we in 2020 can also know. I am just going to let you read these things without much commentary from me.

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son,

Any honest person could figure out that the antecedent to the pronoun "us" is the Hebrews.The fathers and all the prophets of the OT were Hebrews. That is who Jesus spoke to in the last days. The Hebrews were admonished to heed what he said to them;

Heb 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.

John 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
    11 He came unto his own,

Who was his own?

Matt 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

The above statement leaves no doubt who were his own. However, we are speaking about the "scope" of his earthly ministry.

Matt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

The above is a statement about the scope of his ministry right out of his own mouth and it was spoken to a gentile woman.

Matt 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
    6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
    7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matt 11:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.

Our texts that we are looking at says that Jesus Christ not only came to fulfill the law, but also the prophets. What prophecies was he interested in fulfilling according to the history that is written in the gospel accounts? What was his theme? Well, there are four major themes of the prophets. Here;

1) the two comings of Jesus Christ to the earth, once to suffer and once to reign
    2) the remnant of Israel
    3) the kingdom of Christ
    4) the Day of the Lord

What was the major theme of the preaching of Jesus Christ and his disciples at his first coming. It was the gospel of the kingdom. The gospel just means the good news, the glad tidings. The good news is that it was at hand because the King had come to Israel.It was John the Baptist's job to prepare Israel for the coming of the Messiah and it was Jesus Christ who would prepare them for the kingdom
    This subject is worthy of much ink but that is not our mission in this thread.

Matt 4:12 Now when Jesus had heard that John was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee;
    13 And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast, in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim:
    14 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,
    15 The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles;
    16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.
    17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Neither he nor his apostles preached that he was going to die and rise from the dead. I will show on this thread that none of them had any idea about his death and resurrection before he rose from the dead. They had absolutely no understanding of it. That is not what they preached during his earthly ministry. They preached the gospel of the kingdom.That is what they were commissioned to preach in Matt 10 and in Lk 10. (one should read these two chapters now) However, there were things they must believe about Jesus Christ before that kingdom could be established over Israel. AND, they must believe it because Moses and the prophets had said it about him in their OT books. I can prove what I have said in this paragraph from the gospel accounts in context and without a doubt.

This thread is to prove that Calvinisms proof texts for much of their systematic theology is bogus and is a misrepresentation of the scriptures. It is designed to help them approach the scriptures logically. Truth will shine the light on error. John 6 is in the context of the gospel of the kingdom and is in a former age where no one could be born again.

We will look later at the showdown between Israel and Jesus Christ in Matt 12 and begin to see how we got in on the blessing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. JD731

JD731 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah 8:20
    The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.

Matt 12 is the crucial chapter of the gospel of Matthew as far as the harvest is concerned. It is the chapter where Jesus Christ concluded that he could not establish his kingdom over Israel because of the resistance of the Jewish rulers. He would end his preaching of the gospel of the kingdom is at hand here.The confrontation between the rulers of the Jews and his Messianic claims went all the way back to his messenger, John the Baptist.His M. O. throughout his ministry was to preach a fulness of time message. He was preparing Israel, his people, for the born again experience that would take place after he was crucified and arisen and had sent his Spirit to indwell them at which time they would not only be the fleshly son of God collectively, but they would be the born again son of God collectively. To be the son of God collectively required that every one of them be individually born again.Now, I am going to post some scripture for you to consider without commentary just because I do not have the room or time on this post to explain a lot. Read these verses carefully;

Exodus 4:22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:(physical birth of a nation)
    23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

None of these had been begotten of God. They had all been begotten by Jacob.

To Nicodemus, a Jewish ruler.
    John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

He should have known this, according to our Lord Jesus;

John 3:9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
    10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

How many of Israel was required to be saved for God's to save Israel, his collective son? Read this;

37 Now when they (the men of Israel) heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    39 For the promise (of salvation, the Spirit) is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off (but not at the same time as we see later), even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

The operative phrase that delegates the scope of this command is highlighted in V 38

Had Israel repented the story of Acts would have been written differently. Jesus would have returned to establish his kingdom through his born again son. He will eventually do that but in a future world (age).

He says the following to Israel;

Acts 3:12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
    13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
    14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
    15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
    17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers.

18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
    19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.
    20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
    21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
    23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
    24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.
    25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.
    26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Jesus Christ will not return to this earth and establish his kingdom until every one of his subjects are saved.

Twenty eight years later Paul writes a letter to the Romans and says this about Israel;

Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
    17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.
    19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.
    20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.
    21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

Consider the imagery. They would not come in spite of all God did.

He told them that he had sent his Spirit and they could be his son; Remember, these words are primarily to Israel and living after the flesh is an attempt to keep the law of Moses that could do nothing but condemn them.This dependence on the flesh would keep them from being born again.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
    13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

He gave them his OT figures and types to illustrate his points in chapter 9;

4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
    5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
    6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
    7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
    8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
    9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.
    10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

Compare my two highlights in these verses and you will see the point. The operative issue is who are the children of God. Those who are born of Abraham. No, those who are born of Isaac, who is a type of Jesus Christ. One must be born of the Spirit. It is the second birth, the second man, that is emphasized in this passage.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

This includes you and me. One should examine himself as we are admonished to do by scripture in 2 Cor 13.

I will show in my next post how Jesus cleaned the house of Israel of her demons by Matt 12 and because the Spirit did not come to live in it, seven more demons came back and her end was worse than the first.

7. JD731

JD731 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

A generation has the following scope of years;

Psa 90:9 For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told.
    10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

The time when Jesus Christ would have been 70 years old would have been around the time of the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus when Israel lost her national identity by being dispersed into other lands in AD 70.

This generation is key in Matt 9-12.This is the fullness of time, the end of the world, the last days, the gospel of Jesus Christ. The harvest time. Crunch time.

Matthew 12 is near the end of the 3 1/2 year ministry of Jesus Christ. Luke gives us a parable that sheds light on these harvest days.

Luke 13:7 6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; (see Isa 5) and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
    7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
    8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
    9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

It is time to gather fruit from the fig tree, the fig tree, always a symbol for national Israel. The plea for probation time is the reason it was not cut down immediately.

Some information that is true of "this generation" that is not true about any other generation. This generation is the fullness of time generation of Galatians 4:4, the last days generation, the end of the world generation of Hebrews 1:1-2;9:26. It is harvest time. The fields are ripe.The field did not get harvested because there were not enough laborers. God was greatly offended about that and said several things about this generation.Following is what Matthew recorded that he said;

The discernment of John the Baptist at the beginning
    Matt 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Matt 11:16 But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows, 17 And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented.

Our Lord Jesus Christ said this generation had more responsibility than any other generation of men thus far and would be judged harder;

20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:

So much for the Reformed doctrines of total inability and God creating someone without the capacity to repent!

21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
    23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

There is not a Reformed believer alive today that believes what Jesus said in those verses because one cannot believe Reformed doctrine and believe Jesus words at the same time.

Matt 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Matt 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Matt 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Matt 12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

Just WOW!

This is just some of the things Jesus said of his own generation at harvest time when they would not believe in him and receive him as their Messiah.

In my next post I will show what the devil had to do with it and how this was the end of opportunity for this generation.