1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Gap Theory

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, Jan 14, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

I admire your reasoning in this post, though I don't agree with all of it. I would call your attention to the fact that, on Mt. Sinai, Moses received only the Ten Commandments, not the entire law. God wrote the first tablets, which Moses smashed. God made him write the replacements, probably as punishment for his angry outburst, even though well deserved at first glance. But anger isn't God's way.

I stand by my first response, that Moses would write as he'd been educated to write -- on papyrus. And you're right, good discussion -- for another thread. :laugh:

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a note, Our teacher is having us all read a book on one of 5 Creation Theories:

Evolution, Theistic Evolution, Planted by Aliens(lol), Gap Theory, or young earth creation.

His goal is for us to be able to either 1. Explain and present the theory or 2. Refute the theory.

He wants us to end up either with a gap theory position or young earth position.

I dont really know how dogmatic he is about the gap theory.

3. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

#23 Inspector Javert, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Is this an online class? An institutional class? Is this class an OT survey?

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

I'm referring to stone tablets being the conveyance of the 613 items of the Law, which were given to Moses just before they entered the Promised Land, and he went to the mountaintop to be taken home to his Maker, and those tablets fitting into the Ark of the Covenant. That would not be possible.
    I'm sorry, but there is no basis for that statement. The preposition is used to show direction, location, time, or to introduce an object. For example, "I put my wallet ON the table." Another example, "I went TO the store." When the ancient Hebrews wrote the word "in," it referenced not only location, but the nature of that location. They would never have written "in" but rather "on" if the original writings had been "on" a clay tablet. Instead, they wrote "in The Book of Law" to indicate it was found in the scrolls that made up the Book of Law.
    There is no reason, or evidence, to believe that he returned to the crude Sumerian method of writing on wet clay, or, more ludicrous, to believe he chiseled anything onto hard clay, given he had been educated in the preparation and use of papyrus, the making and application of ink, the proper method of making a stylus, etc.
    On the contrary, the preparation and use of papyrus in that part of the world was quite common. The papyrus plant is a reed that grows in marshy areas around the Nile river. In ancient Egypt, the wild plant was used for a variety of uses, and specially cultivated papyrus, grown on plantations, was used to make the writing material.

The inside of the triangular stalk was cut or peeled into long strips. These strips were then laid out in two layers, one horizontal and one vertical, and pressed and dried to form a papyrus sheet. The inside of the triangular stalk was cut or peeled into long strips. These strips were then laid out in two layers, one horizontal and one vertical, and pressed and dried to form a papyrus sheet. many of these sheets were then joined end-to-end to form a roll. No glue was required; instead, the natural gum of the plant held the sheets together. A roll was usually about one foot in height and could be up to 100 feet in length. It didn't take that long.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would be the most interesting for the assignment to attempt to hypothetically support the Gap Theory. If one considers earth ages (days) and the rebellion of Satan (Eze 28) there are a lot pieces that could fit into such a theory. For instance, how does one explain the angels who existed “before” the foundations of the earth who were shouting for joy, Job 38:7. Years ago I was looking into this and found a lot support but its been so long I’ve forgotten 90% of my where my thoughts were going and my notes are long lost through computer crashes.

Sorry, if I had the time I’d try to refresh and back up some of my thoughts I probably would, but I don’t have the time. IN the end of my studies on the subject I guess I would say I was undecided and there were more important issues to me, but I expect I could have lot of fun messing with the YECs here who would be chomping at the bit to burn me at the stake for the arguments I could come up with in support of the GT. :laugh:

7. Inspector Javert

O.K....Obviously, we are going beyond the scope of topic here, and this possibly merits it's own thread. But, I'll answer some of this:

#27 Inspector Javert, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  8. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Methods of Bible study at a Bible College.

9. Jordan Kurecki

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And please lets focus on the OP.

Enough of this clay tablets argument.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

I agree.

IJ, PM me if you want to continue this, or we should start another thread. No, I'm not making it up. I've studied Hebrew, though not to the extent I've studied Greek, but the "dearth" of reference you infer isn't factual relative to the ancient Hebrew language. Thanks, and God bless.

11. Inspector Javert

You're right about at minimum one thing............

the "Gap Theory" is a load of garbage.

It's (what did you say)
    The only doctrine found only in "white"??? or something"

:laugh:Yes...

I agree with you about 95% of the time. So, I hate disagreeing with you on this one thing. But, it's for anutter day. As far as the O.P....

You're right.
    The Bible teaches nothing whatsoever akin to a "Gap Theory". ONLY really OOOLLLDD people even believe it anymore. There's practically no one under the age of 60 who even dreams of it anymore.

That doctrine will literally "DIE" along with the senile old coots who teach it. They have few to no converts in any Bible-believers under the age of 110. It will cease to even be acknowledged within 50years....thank God!!! :jesus::godisgood:

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

"It is the only 'doctrine' that I know of that is based solely, completely and inexplicably on white space."
    :laugh: Glad you appreciated it.
    Amen, brother. :thumbsup: Carry on!

13. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is all this rhetoric supposed to mean something? LOL

14. quantumfaith

Another poster earlier suggested that you run from such a class. I suggest just the opposite. I think you should read scholarly (theist) authors on a wide range of ideas on this idea and other ideas.

IMO, a professor should not suggest to you where he expects you to land on the issue, rather he should encourage you to study and be informed on a multitude of different positions.

I might suggest the popular level book:

Origins Christian perspective on Creation, Evolution and Intelligent Design

Debra and Loren Haarsma (Reformed in Theology)

15. Inspector Javert

Just wanted to say, that I used the wrong verbiage here....It sounds like I am suggesting you weren't being intellectually honest. I didn't mean it that way. I meant something more like you were perhaps "assuming too much", not "making it up".
    I didn't mean that the way it probably looked.
    Sorry about that B.T.W. :(

God Bless :wavey:

16. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gen 2:1
    Chapter 2
    1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
    2:4
    4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, [in the day]that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens,

Gen 1:1-5
    1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    3 And God said, Let there be light:and there was light.
    4 And God saw the light, that it was good:and God divided the light from the darkness.
    5 And [God called the light Day], and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were [the first day].

Nope, no sign of a gap here.
    The first day, was the first day.
    The first day was the beginning.
    He created both heavens and earth, on the first day.
    He called it "day"
    Day
    Not "Age".
    Not Millenium.
    Day.

17. Archie the Preacher

Mr. Kurecki

Studying both sides of an issue is an excellent way to learn about it. If one doesn't understand the background and information upon which the other 'side' relies, one will never understand what one believes.

Typically, one only reads the information which agrees with one's position - a rather good way to remain totally ignorant of half the issue. However, looking at the other side is scary; perhaps those things one thought aren't true. Then what?

Then what indeed? What can displace God from His position? Nor can one learn anything that will cause God to cease loving. The God we serve does not encourage ignorance.

18. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So where would you fit int he dall of satan, and rebellion in heaven, as he fell before Adam and Eve fell!

20. thisnumbersdisconnected

You sure about that, Yesh? I don't think it's any accident he showed up shortly after the Creation was complete, and Adam and Eve were beginning to acquaint themselves with their home. In fact, I'd say it is quite likely he took the form of the serpent and slithered into the garden less than 15 minutes after he lost the battle for heaven! That's his nature. Lose a battle, start another one.