1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the general term Baptist

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by John3v36, Mar 21, 2006.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

You have a trail of churches by different names come up at different time all with similar beliefs from the time of Apostles to today. To them we give the general term Baptist. Baptists do not believe in Apostolic Succession. The Apostolic office ceased with the death of the Apostles. (You find nowhere in the Bible Apostolic Succession) It is to His churches that He promised a continual existence from the time He organized the first one during His earthly ministry until He comes again. He promised-- "I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (Matt. 16:18) Then, when He gave the great Commission, which tells what His churches are to do, He promised-- "I will be with you alway, even unto the end of the age." (Matt. 28:20) This Commission--this work--was not given to the Apostles as individuals, but to them and the others present in their church capacity. The Apostles and the others who heard Him give this Commission were soon dead--BUT His Church has lived on through the ages, making disciples (getting folks saved), baptizing them, and teaching the truth--the doctrines--He committed to the Jerusalem Church. These faithful churches have been blessed with His presence as they have gone the road of martadom

"MARKS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH"
    1. Its Head and Founder--CHRIST. He is the law-giver; the Church is only the executive. (Matt. 16:18; Col. 1:18)
    2. Its only rule of faith and practice--THE BIBLE. (II Tim. 3:15-17)
    3. Its name--"CHURCH," "CHURCHES." (Matt. 16:18; Rev. 22:16)
    4. Its polity--CONGREGATIONAL--all members equal. (Matt. 20:24-28; Matt. 23:5-12)
    5. Its members--only saved people. (Eph. 2:21; I Peter 2:5)
    6. Its ordinances--BELIEVERS' BAPTISM, FOLLOWED BY THE LORD'S SUPPER. (Matt. 28:19-20)
    7. Its officers--PASTORS AND DEACONS. (I Tim. 3:1-16)
    8. Its work--getting folks saved, baptizing them (with a baptism that meets all the requirements of God's Word), teaching them ("to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you"). (Matt. 28:16-20)
    9. Its financial plan--"Even so (OFFERINGS) hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel," (I Cor. 9:14)
    10. Its weapons of warfare--spiritual, not carnal. (II Cor. 10:4; Eph. 6:10-20)
    11. Its independence--separation of Church and State. (Matt. 22:21)

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh dear. Someone's been drinking the Carroll KoolAid, folks.

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Having a financial plan is the mark of a NT Church?

Boy are you stretching on polity.

I wonder how do you sift out the hypocrits who are clever in disguising their hypocracy?

There are requirements for Baptism? I keep looking but I don't see requirements outside of it being done in name of the Triune God.

I am also having trouble finding the word ordinance in conjunction with the means of grace aka Baptism and Lord's Supper.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

So if a church is of a differing polity it's not a New Testament church? Ridiculous. Bishops and elders are mentioned repeatedly in Paul's letters, and nowhere does it mention everyone in a congregation voting.

Drawing lots, yes. And even that could eb arguably a Presbyterian system of governance by elders.

And Chemnitz, "ordinance" is the way some folks keep from appearing too "Catholic." They'd argue that an ordinance isn't a means of grace; rather it's done 'cause we are told to do it.

Kind of stinks that you can die for doing an ordinance wrong, according to 1 Corinthians, but there ya go.