1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Geocentric Model: What's it hurt? 2nd Ed.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that we all watched the dragon swallow the sun (and poop it out again) . . .

The first time I asked this, I didn't know the motion of the earth was assumed only, and not scientifically proven. Even though Relativity has voided the heliocentric model of any truth value, I'm not disputing it. I'm merely asking what are the advantages of it?

In otherwords, what truly beneficial technological or sociological advancement would have been preempted by assuming a stationary earth?

And my second question is related: What technology or sociology has been unlocked by assuming an earth in motion?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y'all've had time to think. Isn't it really just a philosophical litmus test?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing about cosmology that has been a help. No tech that is used by man, no medicine, and certainly no politics has been advanced by preferring the heliocentric model over the geocentric one.

This morning you will be praying to One who spoke of His Father moving the sun through the sky.

#3 Aaron, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, In my world the sun rises in the east and sets in the west - even the newspaper speaks of sunrise and sunset.

Also:
    https://astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/71/howfast.html#4

What is your point about our "praying" Aaron?

Thanks

HankD

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And will gather the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not making a point about praying. I'm making a point about how cosmology and faith are related.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be relevant if:

1) Anyone really thought the earth had sharp corners,

2) and they could see them.

Everyone sees the sun rise, and until a few hundred years ago, most really thought the earth was motionless.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you ever a Boy Scout? If so, were you taught to "box" a compass? (A box is square, but "boxing" a compass means to go all around the compass calling out the cardinal directions and the directions between the cardinal directions (ordinal directions) and the directions between, intermediate points.

N, NNE, NE, ENE, E, ESE, SE, SSE, S, SSW, SW, WSW, W, WNW, NW, WNW, and back to N.

The cardinal points, N, S, E, and W, have almost universally been referred to "the four corners" of the Earth. :)

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About ten years ago I read a paper explaining that the Earth is flat. The reason it appears spherical is the effect of gravity on light. It is a misunderstanding that things orbit the Earth, but it does appear this way as it circumambulates over the face of the Earth.

When we have people killing themselves so that they can board the spacecraft trailing a comet, we can find someone who believes anything.

• Like Like x 1
  10. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non sequitur. Technology, medicine, or politics being advanced is not the benchmark for whether or not something is true.

No tech that is used by man, no medicine, and certainly no politics has been advanced by preferring Pringles over Stax.
    ...by preferring Ford over Chevy.
    ...by preferring paint brushes over spray painting.
    etc. etc.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not the one bringing up the flat earth.

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone with teenagers knows that they believe in egocentricm, they believe that they the universe circles around them.

It’s possible to believe this and get through life but it makes things difficult for them and others.

You can imagine the earth as the center of the universe but it makes it very hard to calculate meaningful data about the space around us.​

To be able to imagine other perspectives changes the way we think – Einstein was such a person. His early work was founded upon thought experiments – much of his work was only proven decades later.

Even Scotty of Star Trek fame recognized the importance of perspective in understanding the physics of the universe.

Scotty: [to Spock Prime] The notion of transwarp beaming is like trying to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet whilst wearing a blindfold, riding a horse.
    [Spock writes on a paper]
    Scotty: What's that?
    Spock Prime: Your equation for achieving transwarp beaming.
    Scotty: [reads the equation] Imagine that! It never occurred to me to think of SPACE as the thing that was moving! (Star Trek 2009)
    Aaron asked
    The ability to imagine the universe in other ways allowed advances in technology that may never have happened otherwise.

Rob

#12 Deacon, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL.

Your point is essentially that the heliocentric model makes better science fiction. IOW it's more entertaining.

I agree there. So does Darwinism. Without Darwinism, there was no galactic civil war a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Fun to imagine, but is it true?

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I need to think about that

NOT!

HankD

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our belief systems must be true or they are false!

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First called so, by God himself!