1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Gideons and the KJVO crowd.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Jul 4, 2004.

1. brosmith

brosmith Guest

Really? IF the Gideons are a missionary arm of the LOCAL church, then which LOCAL church are they accountable to for their ecumenical activities? There is no such accountability! The Gideons are NOT a legitimate New Testament ministry of ANY local church!

I did not say that it was unscriptural to the distribute the scriptures. I said that the Gideons were an unscriptural para-church organization. I refuse to support the Gideons because they are an ecumenical para-church organization that has no scriptural authority for their existence.

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Wow, brosmith- please tell us what you really think! :cool:

As an IFBer, how do you feel about such para-church ministries as The Sword of the Lord (Shelton Smith), or Creation Science Evangelism (Kent Hovind)? I'm thinking you're probably familiar with at least one or the other, if not both.

Would you be willing to say to either Smith or Hovind that they run "an unscriptural para-church organization that no Bible believer should ever be a part of." After all, neither organization is under the auspices of any local church.

I'm thinking you probably wouldn't be willing to in these cases, since both organizations are highly regarded in most IFB circles.

3. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

Brosmith:
    Answer: All of them! That is all that will give to the ministry we give a report to! Usually annualy! If your church doesn't give then we are not missionary arm of your church.

Our existence is for distributing God's Word. That is why I asked you if distributing God's Word (the scriptures) is unscriptural.

By the way this Baptist Board is para-church, and so is christian radio and TV and magazines, and publishing companies and etc. etc.

I bet you really hate Promise Keepers. [​IMG]

John 13:35 (KJV)
    By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Eaglewing

P.S. Thanks be to God for all who have expressed good things in support of the Gideons on this board!

4. brosmith

brosmith Guest

I am not familiar enough with Kent Hovind's ministry to give an answer to your question. But I am familiar with the Swrord of the Lord and I believe that the Sword of the Lord is an unscriptural para-church organization and that no Bible believer should ever be a part of it.

Para-church organizations lack local church authority and local church accountability. Most (if not all) para-church organizations are either ecumenical or are slowly becoming ecumenical in their focus and structure.

Independent fundamental Baptists have severely compromised any stand against ecumenical para-church ministries such as the Gideons. Once a local church starts supporting ANY para-church ministry then it loses the ability to stand against the ecumenical movement because it has become part of it.

5. LarryN

LarryN New Member

brosmith,

I appreciate your sincere reply. Thanks, and welcome to the BB.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow! I always thought I was a good sound IFB, but is our new brother's world I am a real liberal!

I praise God for the work of the Gideons all around the world. Here in Ireland they are still permitted to pass our New Testament in the Catholic and Church of Ireland schools.

[​IMG] Gideons International [​IMG]

7. Orvie

Orvie New Member

I am not familiar enough with Kent Hovind's ministry to give an answer to your question. But I am familiar with the Swrord of the Lord and I believe that the Sword of the Lord is an unscriptural para-church organization and that no Bible believer should ever be a part of it.

Para-church organizations lack local church authority and local church accountability. Most (if not all) para-church organizations are either ecumenical or are slowly becoming ecumenical in their focus and structure.

Independent fundamental Baptists have severely compromised any stand against ecumenical para-church ministries such as the Gideons. Once a local church starts supporting ANY para-church ministry then it loses the ability to stand against the ecumenical movement because it has become part of it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Twilight Zone Baptist Church :eek:

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet to think about it, isnt the Baptist Board a Para Church Organisation? Does it not foster Ecumenicism between Baptists and other Christians?

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel ecumenical just hanging with some of the BAPTISTS on the BB! [​IMG]

10. atestring

atestring New Member

Really? IF the Gideons are a missionary arm of the LOCAL church, then which LOCAL church are they accountable to for their ecumenical activities? There is no such accountability! The Gideons are NOT a legitimate New Testament ministry of ANY local church!

I did not say that it was unscriptural to the distribute the scriptures. I said that the Gideons were an unscriptural para-church organization. I refuse to support the Gideons because they are an ecumenical para-church organization that has no scriptural authority for their existence.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The Gideons are doing just fine without your help. They certainly will continue to get my help.
    I think they are one of the finest organizations around.
    BTW if you don;t like the way they distribute the scriptures then get the money out of your wallet and put your time, money, and effort into distributing the Word of God.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As a missionary myself, I have to say that there are some sources from which I would rather not have support.

12. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

brosmith said:

It is an ecumenical organization that promotes itself as "a missionary arm of the church." What church are they speaking of? Obviously the falsely so-called "universal church."

If there is no such thing as a "universal church," how can it have a "missionary arm"? (Talk about self-stultifying arguments.)

It is an unscriptural para-church organization that no Bible believer should ever be a part of.

Headline: "Thousands disobey God - by giving away Bibles!"