1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Gideons Bible Society.

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Ben W, Apr 30, 2005.

?
  1. Yes.

100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have been in the past.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Am involved in a similar organisation.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

A poll on this fine organisation.

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

We have several Gideons in our church.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Giving out the Word of God (with the plan of salvation carefully detailed in its pages) is commendable.

Only negative is the money/time commitment of Gideons away from the local church.

4. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd comment from my personal opinion (as a Gideon.)

I wouldn't say it takes anything away from the local church (at least it shouldn't.)

Financially, giving is not a "replacement" of what I would give at Church, but a supplement (above and beyond, like love offerings for church guests, seasonal offerings, and so on.) I especially like giving to the Gideons personally as I know every dollar is used to get God's Word into people's hands.

Time wise, I would say it's comparable to a hobby. It is like time that one could spend in another community club (or less time than one can spend on this bulletin board. :type: ) There is one major exception though, and that is the usage and focus of that time. On any Saturday morning, all around the world at 7AM in local time zones, Gideons meet and pray together for Gideons around the world, that God's Word may be spread and that the seeds may fall on fertile soil. That is a pretty powerful prayer block for a very straightforward purpose.

Then there is the personal satisfaction of seeing someone's face light up when you give them God's Word. Children especially, although I've had adults very appreciative also (I've also had some very interesting refusals.)

I must admit though, I've gotten into the habit of checking every motel room I get to make sure that Bible is there. I am proud to say that every one I've personally checked in California (even the exceptionally liberal Bay Area,) Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, North Carolina, and other points in between, has had that Bible somewhere that it could easily be found. That's a pretty powerful thing, thanks to volunteers and those willing to support the organization. :thumbs:

5. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

School...

I remember when I got a free Bible from them in School.

It was a RSV illustrated with superb pictures, I would like to find a copy as I do not know what happened to mine. I am 42ish now and I was 11 or 12 when I got this my first Bible. Praise God for the Gideon people. Although I do not know much about them. God began a work in me after that gift, I remember Him drawing me, I did not so much resist as just wandered and drifted for the next 8 years or so until after I had basically wrecked my life, called upon His Name and He saved me.

David

6. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

I've been a gideon for nearly 4 years, I thourghly enjoy it. I'm chaplain in my local camp. My wife is in the Auxilary. I encouraged my dad to join he is now president of his local camp. Gidieons are asked not to be absent from their local church more than 6 times a year for speaking in churches. I speaek in churches about 2-3 times a year. My local church is first priority.

I am not much of a club joiner, I'm not in the Rotary Club, the Lions Club, Kianas, Masons or anything else.

I didn't even join a frat in college!

But I love serving the Lord in the Gideons!

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only issue with the Gideons was that they gave us miniature KJV New Testaments that were very poorly printed (some pages were so smeared and/or blurred that they were unreadable) and had numerous typos. Even though I was familiar with the Bible (even the KJV) as a child, and did very well in Bible drills, I found the Bibles unusable. And considering that their stated intent was for everyone to have a Bible that they could read, it seemed foolish for the local group to pass out the KJV. The unchurched kids didn't seemed to get frustrated with them almost immediately.

It seemed to me that they were more interested in the act of handing out the Bibles than actually providing a usable Bible.

But that is likely to be an isolated incident with a local group of Gideons.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Time away from church, serving God, handing out bibles is called missionary Dr. Bob.

9. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I support the work of the Gideons. My wife has a little green NT that she got over 40 years ago in her purse - well, in a zip-loc-bag in her purse. She is constantly pulling it out and reading.

I wish more of the men in my church were Gideons. Individually, they are usually some of the finest Christians I know. The not only talk the talk, they walk the walk.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never seen a "poorly" made Gideon NT. They maybe on the inexpensive side, bu not poorly made. As for using the KJV, let's face it for a non-profit org like the Gideon's the KJV has no copy right or royalty issues.

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good to hear. Unfortunately, I received two of them in elementary school, one with a bright green cover and another with an orange cover.

I doubt I can find them anymore because I could never really use them.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I think its a very noble organization and our church supports the Gideons financially each year. My biggest beef with them is that they send letters and call asking which (not if) Sunday morning they will be coming to preach and collect their love offering. We dont mind them coming and we love to contribute to them, but we dont think Sunday morning is the right time for a parachurch organization to fundraise. But they do great work, and I love seeing Bibles in hospitals and hotels.

13. EaglewingIS4031

We pretty much use the KJV only in the USA. We also use the NKJV, which is what most school children receive. In English speaking countries outside the USA we almost exlusivily use NKJV unless otherwise requested. We Gideons are serving in 180 countries and distribute Bibles in 83 languages, All of wich were translated with conservitive Protastant / Evengelical scholarship.

As a Gideon I shouldn't be discussing this, the Gideons have a lot to loose and little to gain by discussing translation issues.

You Know the ABS is a fine ministry as well, one in which I also support. They distribute English Bibles in many translations including but not limited to the GN/TEV, CEV, HCSB, and the KJV.

You don't have to support Scripture distributuion through the Gideons, but I believe strongly that as a Christian you should support distribution of God's Word wether that would be done by your local church, denomination, the Gideons, the ABS or any other ministry in which God is working. If you can't support financialy suport it with prayer, Please! :Fish:
    Eagle Wing

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something's not right. The poll has one answer, 'Yes,' and it says I have already voted in the poll, which I did not, and I am not a member of the Gideons.

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Maybe someone's trying to tell you something. :)

16. EaglewingIS4031

17. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I've found out more over the last few months about the Gideons than i knew before...and i'm even more impressed by this organization than ever.
    For instance, no one is allowed to join the Gideons without their pastor verifying that they are a member in good standing. And the Gideon reps will visit with pastors to get recommendations for membership.
    It was an honor for me to be able to recommend a couple of our men to become Gideons...and they have done so.

18. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It would seem that polls from the old board did not translate over well to the new system.