1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The God Delusion

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by grahame, Jul 29, 2007.

1. grahame

grahame New Member

Can anyone recommend a good book that specifically counters the book "The God Delusion"? I have searched the forums. But perhaps I've missed something already posted?

2. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Well, it hasn't even been out for a year yet, so that doesn't give much time for a thoughtful response to be published...

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

I would recommend The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Strobel, who is a journalist, was at one point a non-believer. His quest for investigating the evidence of scriptures led him to become a Christian.

His other book, The Case for a Creator, tackles the evidence for Creation and the lies of evolution.

4. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Heh. That's not going to "specifically counter" Dawkins.

5. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes I did realise after I posted that it was probably unlikely that there was a book that specifically counters Dawkins. But those seem like good books nevertheless, especially the one entitled The Case for Christ. This is always useful as I am also witnessing to Muslims.
    However, concerning Dawkins, I haven't yet met an atheist who has been able to give me an original argument. They have always said near enough the same things, although in different ways. Thank you both for your input.

#5 grahame, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  6. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

Glad to help. For the record though, I don't recommend Strobel as anything more than a cursory introduction to which of the authors he interviews you might be interested in reading further, though The Case for Christ is certainly better than The Case for Faith (I have not read The Case for a Creator).

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Deacon beat me to the punch. McGrath is excellent. You can find it at Cumberland Valley as well.

9. grahame

grahame New Member

Thank you one and all. :thumbs:

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I would also suggest actually reading Dawkins' book if you want to discuss it intelligently with someone.

11. grahame

grahame New Member

Yes,that goes without saying. I haven't got very far into the book as yet. But I was just curious as to whether someone has actually attempted to answer it. I have also read an article about it in the Evangelical Times. That was what got me thinking about it in the first place. Some bits of the book are worded aukwardly and put in scientific language though.

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found a humorous (and effective) response to Dawkins book on Berit Olam.

>>>CLINK HERE<<<

Rob

13. grahame

grahame New Member

I've been reading Dawkins' book and quite franky he is just another unbeliever with the same old objections as to why he rejects the gospel. So far I haven't found one original argument in it. All he has done is couch it in intellectual and scientific language. But the bulk of the book is the same old carping about how unjust God is and how violent the Bible is. What really makes me laugh is how he admires our Lord's sermon on the mount as being original and years ahead of Ghandi and Martin Luther King. Yet completely overlooks the fact that it was from The Lord Jesus Christ that they both got their ideas from in the first place.

And how anyone can admire the words of Christ and then to reject the person of Christ, beats me. For that in itself is a contradiction in and of itself. It is like worshipping the creature more than the creator.
    He then goes on to ask why men are good. Well I should think that a more pertinent question would be, "why are we bad?" He then goes on to show that morals existed long before the New Testament and before Jesus himself. Well if only these fellers would read their Bibles before they take it upon themselves to criticise it, they would find most of their idle questions answered for them. One just has to look up Romans 2:14 to see that the word of God is way ahead of the thinking of unbelieving man
    What these atheists don't seem to cotton on to is that whilst they speak about morals and the like and then to go on to judge Christians as being the perpetrators of evil, they seem blind to the fact that if they follow their philosophy through to its logical conclusion, then there is no good or bad, but just that which is the consequence of developing man through the process of evolution.

Dawkins to my mind is just another unbeliever grasping at the same old boring questions. An unbeliever who needs his eyes opening and his heart changing and his sins washed away by the cleansing blood of Christ as do we all of course.
    What is new, is that he is an evangelist of sorts. Not of course in the real sense of the word. But he is out to make converts and unfortunately he will get them. "Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time." (1 Jn2:18)

#13 grahame, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I hope to have time to finish the book this week. I also am trying my best not to read through any preconceived Christian filter, but rather as an impartial observer. I will say he does make coherent and lucid arguments for his side.

I look at it as prepearing for a debate. Sometimes it is an interesting exercise to have to defend a position that you personally disagree with. I think such a project makes one not only examine why they hold their own positions, but also stimulates thinking and the use of solid arguments in other situations.

15. grahame

grahame New Member

Of course I agree that some things he does have a point. For instance he said that he sawit as very strange how a religion that professes great love could come out with such vicious names to call him. And I would also agree that the fact that there has been so much war and hatred amongst Christians, when the message of the gospel is a message of love and hope and of self sacrifice. Strange that such a message that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son could generate such hate. That, I suppose is one of Dawkins' strongest arguments as to why people should forsake religion and it is one that is very difficult to answer.

#15 grahame, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  16. grahame

grahame New Member

I did that when I was an Arminian and became a Calvinist. :smilewinkgrin: