1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The God Man

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Nov 9, 2011.

1. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Here is Spurgeon addressing this very question:
    http://www.biblebb.com/files/spurgeon/0724.htm

The summary version would be that Jesus does function as a father to us, but it still distinct from "The Father". He does talk to "THE Father" after all.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Interesting article. So are you ready to call Jesus Father? My guess is some will see it has heresy

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

that view is the orthodox hristian viewpoint!

Apostle John cafefully wrote the Greek to reflect to us the Word was with God, seperate person from the father, yet same as God in His very essense!

John , inspired by HS, wanted to make it clear that Jesus was very God, but not same as the father, as we do not teach Modualism!

#63 JesusFan, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
  4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

"yetsame as God in His very essense."

Help me out here. Are you saying that Jesus is not literally God, the one and only God, Jehovah of the Old Testament?

5. JesusFan

NO, saying that the Bible states clearly that Jesus IS indeed God, just that he is seperate from the person called/known as the Father!

Abraham had a visitation from preincarnate Christ, while at same time "jehovah" in heaven was raining judgement upon Sodom and Gommorrow!

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Jesus was in one place and Jehovah was in another? So you do not believe Jesus is Jehovah, correct?

7. JesusFan

Normally in the Bible texts, Yahweh was referring to the Father, but Jesus is also God, as is the HS!

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Since the NT calls him the son, we can call him the Son too.

You're missing FAL's point, he's asking why what you call the eternal "son" is called "everlasting Father" in Is. 9, which we read every Christmas.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Yes, I would have not trouble Saying Jesus is my everlasting Father. The bible does say that, after all. He is my father spiritually, as well as physically, in that he created the human race (col 1, Heb. 1).

I would not say that jesus is "God The Father", but is rather distinct from God the Father, based on the many times Jesus prays to his "Father." and the places like the great commission where all three are mentioned.

Jesus is also the "son of God."

Jesus is also called my brother (firstborn among many brethren)

Jesus is also called my Bridegroom (as part of the chuch, I am his bride)

I believe that Jesus is NOT "God the Father" but is God, Jehovah; as is God the Father also.

I also have no trouble saying that God exists eternally as Father, son, and holy spirit, based on Heb. 1, where the "son" is said to have been present at creation, and also 1 Corinthians 15:28 - "When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all." I believe this passage shows the Future eternal sonship of Christ to God the Father.

10. JesusFan

Jesus was NEVER called the father as a title in ANY of the NT books...

OT reference in isaiah was to the Son of God coming to earth in the person of Jesus....

Those OT references were "titles" to One that would come to be born as Jesus...

the "everlasting father" would be an English equivalent of literal hebrew for "Father of Eternity"

NOT saying Jesus is the Father, or even to be called father, but that he would be God being born, as his origin would be from "old/everlasting"...

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Spirit comes to us from God the Father through Jesus the Son putting us into the church, the bride of Christ the Mother of us all who is called Zion, Jerusalem above, Are we yet born from this mother?

Consider.

I will build my church and the gates (death) of Hades (the abode of the dead) shall not prevail (keep her,the church from giving birth) against her. Matt. 16:18

Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the (birth) pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. Acts 2:24 speaking of Christ's resurrection and a birth from death/Hades.

Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a man child. Isa. 66:7 Notice no birth pains reference to the resurrection of Jesus the Christ. The man child delivered in Rev. 12 is with birth pains and is reference to incarnation.
    Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? [or] shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children. Isa. 66:8 Reference to the church Zion the mother of us all giving birth to the kingdom of God by resurrection from the dead, shall the earth bring forth (birth).
    Isa.66:9 Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the LORD: shall I cause to bring forth, and shut [the womb]? saith thy God.

Would this thought be relative to Christ as the everlasting Father?

Isa 53:10 may also be relative.
    Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

#71 percho, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011