1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Gospel of John

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by USN2Pulpit, Apr 9, 2004.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

This movie just came out on DVD, so I rented it. I've decided that I like it much better than "The Passion." While I don't condemn that movie, I think a person gets a better sense of the Message (not the paraphrase) through the movie "The Gospel of John." It's worth a look, even if you don't care for the NLT.

2. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thanks! I'll definitely check that out!!

Kathy
    <><

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

USN2, I think I read it was the Good News Bible and not NLT. Was that info incorrect? Also, did you watch it in one sitting or over 2 nights. I also read, on the board, that it was a very long movie.

(I think my attention span is shot. I don't care much for t.v. movies because they last too long.)

Thanks for your help!
    Diane

4. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

The Gospel of John is 3 hours and, according to their website, it is "adapted for the screen on a word for word basis from the American Bible Society's Good News Bible."

I have it on DVD and love it! In fact, I'm going to watch it again this Easter weekend.

CJ

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

C.J., is it set up that you might pause it halfway through and finish it the next night?

Diane

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Oh my goodness, you had better not talk too loud in here or these anti-passionists will come in and start playing this movie back-wards too, to see if "witchcraft" was used in producing it. :eek: :rolleyes: [​IMG]

7. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Diane, it's on 2 DVD discs...one is about an hour, the other is 2 hours, I think. (I loaned it to my pastor yesterday, or I would go look for sure!) You can stop it at any time and go back later to where you left off.

We're having an Easter Carnival and Egg Hunt tomorrow at church, so I'll get it back then, but I know it has a "menu" for each disc where you can to to the chapter and verse where you left off.

CJ

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh that's neat. I was listening to the Bible on audio at work from the Audio Bible web site and really enjoyed it. I can't watch long t.v. shows tho. I tend to doze off.

Is this something Nick could watch too? He's seen the Jesus video.

Diane

9. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Phillip:

Oh my goodness, you had better not talk too loud in here or these anti-passionists will come in and start playing this movie back-wards too, to see if "witchcraft" was used in producing it.

S&T:

Even though the movie used a weak translation as the word for word script, they did not use divination, and then admit to it PUBLICLY in interviews like Mel Gibson did. Mock all you want Phillip. You have not successfully put up one scripture to show that your position is correct.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

I saw this tonight at Wal Mart, I sure hope the local movie rental has it because it was $44.

11. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I got it at Blockbuster. Also, Diane, it set into neat "Chapter-Verse" packages, so you can go to the part you want for a lesson, as well.

12. mioque

mioque New Member

If The Gospel of John (the movieversion) is using a Good News for Modern Man type translation, it is certainly intended as an evangelisation tool as opposed to The Passion that is aimed at deepening the faith of those who already believe.
    Not making any claims on the effectiveness of either film.

And just for Spirit and Truth I will point out that that Anna Catharina Emmerich is a real prophet and as such is not using divination, but revelation and that is perfectly acceptable. [​IMG]

What?

13. Spirit and Truth

mioque:

And just for Spirit and Truth I will point out that that Anna Catharina Emmerich is a real prophet and as such is not using divination, but revelation and that is perfectly acceptable.

What?

S&T:

Oh yes.....I agree mioque [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ...

And someone could possibly believe that IF THEY DIDN'T USE GOD'S WORD AS A YARDSTICK TO CHECK THE VALIDITY OF PROPHET'S ACCORDING TO HIS STANDARD......

Thanks for the laugh though......

14. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

s7t and mioque. this thread is about the Gospel of John.

15. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

What position? The position that we should "witness" to people who have seen the movie, or the position that we should tell them not to pay attention to the Jesus in the movie because they got it all wrong?

The only scripture you have put up is on "divination" which you seem to have such a hang-up about. There ARE other sins, you know.

16. Spirit and Truth

Phillip:

The only scripture you have put up is on "divination" which you seem to have such a hang-up about.

S&T:

Don't be concerned about my opinion Phillip. According to scripture, God has a bigger "hang up" about it. You might want to work on your response to Him.

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

S&T: Don't worry about my response to God. That is mis-direction of the subject.

Tell me how you would answer this situation.

If a person comes up to you (a non-christian) and they tell you they have seen the movie The Passion and they thought it was interesting. What is your answer to them?

18. mioque

mioque New Member

"s7t and mioque. this thread is about the Gospel of John."
    The book or the film? ;)

Anyhow judging from a purely artistic viewpoint, is the film any good?
    I mean from a theological perspective the Jesus movie
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079368/
    was reasonably o.k.
    But it made for lousy cinema.