1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Grand Design and Philosophy: (William Lane Craig)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by quantumfaith, Dec 5, 2011.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the article.

Why, then, do they pronounce philosophy dead and claim as scientists to be bearing the torch of discovery? Simply because that enables them to cloak their amateurish philosophizing with the mantle of scientific authority and so avoid the hard work of actually arguing for, rather than merely asserting, their philosophical viewpoints.

Quicksand. Some people never see it.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Yep, I "kinda" think that was Dr. Craigs point, that being given the incredible scientific knowledge of Dr. Hawking and his partner and yet they arrived at philosophical conclusions, which they only assumed they understood. I watched the Discovery program and was quite disappointed in the conclusion, not merely that I did not "agree" but it was such an intellectually shallow conclusion.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I find it ridiculous that some would call themselves philosophers while holding to Ontological Pluralism which attempts to argue that composite objects do not exist. “Logic” must be at the roots of philosophy and is concerning whether the reasons presented for a claim, IF those reasons were true, would justify accepting the claim. To say objects can’t be proven to exist is to deny there is any truth to be known about any claim should it concern an object made of more than part. So what’s the point??? I’ll tell you, it amounts to an argument that claims it is true that truth doesn’t exist. :confused: It then simply becomes an empty notion to imply one is a philosopher.

These “scientist” go on to ask, “Why is there something rather than nothing?” and these types of questions are typically a prelude to asking “Why is there God rather than nothing?”. Well, if theology is nothing instead of something then why are they so concerned about making the claim that the truth of God can not be known when such a notion defies their own reasoning, their truth? I’ll tell you, it’s about justifying their unbelief. It’s about an Atheist believing in himself, his truth, that The Truth can not be known. IOW’s the atheist will not accept a higher power, a higher judgment than his own, he thinks of his intellect as superior. He wants to be as God. Ah, in comes my opening to explain this by taking them all the way back to creation and Adam and Eve listening to the Liar, eating the fruit of knowledge and thinking to be their own judge between good and evil; to become a god. (Gen 3:22) Yeah, I enjoy giving the “atheist philosopher” plenty of reasons to value truth as being true from the beginning of them trying to justify a claim through logic of the nonexistence of truth. ...Know what I mean? :laugh:

Okay, it’s out of my system now; back to studying for finals. I like Craig; he is one of my favorite apologists

#4 Benjamin, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Apostle Paul "vain philsophies /traditions of men"

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Science is a wonderful discipline for observable events.

When it speaks of cosmology it immediately ceases being scientific objectivism and moves directly into philosophical speculation.

6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw an article yesterday on Yahoo.com where the scientific community has just located a planet and it has been determined that it will support human life. Apparently through the Hubble they noticed a sign making reference to a 15 percent "Landing Tax" for all out of their world visitors.

Now I just couldn't help but wonder how these folks looking their their telescopes have decided that this distant planet will support human life? Yes, science is an honorable discipline but come on now.... Perhaps these folks would be better referred to as Speculative Scientists.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Kepler-22b is another example of fraudulent science and non-critical media hyperbole.

First of all the planet is 600 light years away, or 3,521,828,160,000,000 miles away. If we left today, using existing technology, it would take...wait for it...2 million years.

Secondly, there is absolutely no way to positively confirm any of the rampant speculation that NASA is involved in right now. It is simply theory upon theory upon theory to attempt to give a "proof" of their findings.

Finally, given that the planet is so far away it is likely that it has already under gone seismic change and likely might not even be around anymore.

Just bunk science and we should call it that!

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...600 light years away, or 3,521,828,160,000,000 miles away. If we left today, using existing technology, it would take...wait for it...2 million years.

What a universe our Lord has created. What an amazing universe! All the while some folks here on earth have fully convinced themselves they have figured out all of God's mysteries.

...go figure.