1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE GREAT CLICHE

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by eloidalmanutha, Dec 6, 2005.

1. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

I thought I would share this commentary [with permission]:

THE GREAT CLICHE

“Christmas” has become the *reason for the season*. That “song” rings out everywhere. Streaming from the radio, distantly pervasive in every store, tantalizing every sense through TV, assaulting the eyes in written medium. I wonder as I wander though this season what this has to do with Jesus, as the pull on one’s feelings and emotions plays on the mind like an abrasive melody that will not leave you alone.

As winter winds blow puffs of snow up around my window, the season is ushered in with welcoming arms that grasp and tug with a strangle hold that demands immediate action. Energy expended at a fanatical pace. Rushing, driving incessantly to accomplish mission impossible: the perfect gift for every person on the mother of all lists. Mobs trampling others in their frenzy for bargains. Drops of momentary pity on the poor and homeless to ease the conscience - all for the *reason for the season*.

The money flows in an increasing demand to fulfill the senses and sentiments at a time of year when depression, anxiety, and stress fight for kingship. Denial and ignorance of truth run rampant - desperately striving to reach the optimum of an emotional feeding of the “spiritual” soul – while the masses in every walk of life wrestle with christmases past, hoping against hope that this year will be different.

Is there a day, a time of the year when mankind is swept up into a more encompassing season than this? Altruism, good will, glad tidings, the *reason for the season*, a longing for traditions, for family - covertly injected by the drugs of greed, guilt, loss, and envy, to hide the lie and longing for what does not exist – the heart of man deceived that the *reason for the season* is a warm fuzzy in the shape of a savior.

Long ago, in the little town of Bethlehem, The Messiah, Jesus Christ, was born. His birth heralded by angels proclaiming peace to the hearts and souls of men – to the ones who would believe on Him as the Propitiation for sin, the Son of God made flesh. A few brief verses described that night, an obscure event told only to a few shepherds who walked in darkness to kneel before the Light of the World; the quiet dedication and introspective joy of a prophet and a prophetess speaking the Word of the Lord; the beckoning of wise men who followed the star for almost two years traveling a great distance, to bow down before the King of kings. The offering of gifts in worship, and the ensuing rush as Mary, Joseph, and Jesus escaped to Egypt as hundreds of babies were brutally murdered by the edict of a jealous and power hungry king.

No further mention is made of this startling and life changing event. Yet man has seen fit to manipulate it into the *reason for the season*. It has no Scriptural invective. There is no comparison to the gift of God’s Son by way of brightly wrapped presents under a tree in the pages of God’s Word. There are no “christmas” traditions listed in God’s Word. No trees, stockings, lights, decorations, gifts, parties, musicals, live nativities, nothing. This is how Jesus asked us to remember Him: “And he took bread, and gave thanks, He brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is My body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of Me”.

For far too many, christmas is the tearing of the heart into spasms of pain, rejection, betrayal, loneliness, depression, suicidal mania, bitterness, jealousy, hatred, anger, and suffering - longing for what really never was - reminders of gatherings full of fake smiles, false greetings of peace, and disguised dislike - all displayed on a cold hard platter of the *reason for the season*.

To my brothers and sisters behind bars, to my friends and family who are in prisons of another kind, it is my hope and prayer that you do not remain hopeless and helpless, but that the true meaning of life finds His way into your heart, mind, and soul. Jesus was not born so that we could dance to the tune of christmas, but that His death and resurrection will bring everlasting freedom to the sinner, peace to the soul of His child every day of the year, an abundant life full of God’s boundless love and grace, and an eternity of joy that cannot be described or explained by those who truly know what it means to be made free.

"And she shall bring forth a Son, and you shall call His Hame JESUS, for He shall save His people from their sins. Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His Name EmmanuEL, which being interpreted means, God with us."

Matt 1:21-23

shalom, baraqemet