1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Great Commission

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Sep 17, 2010.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mat 28:18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
    Mat 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
    Mat 28:20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (NASB)

The above passage is known, best, as The Great Commission. On January the first of 1990, Jesus, through the Holy Spirit of God gave birth to a 44 year and 11 month old future Bible teacher that believes every word written in the Bible to be the inspired Word of God.

That statement deserves explanation before I go on. Some, it should be all, will notice that I have quoted the NASB, a modern day translation. Every Bible Student in the world knows that the scriptures are written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Koine Greek, not English. So, do I, having spoken foreign languages in the past believe that the NASB, Word for Word translation is perfectly accurate even though I know for a fact that no language can be translated word for word, one hundred percent of the time?

Yes, I do. You might ask, “How can he possibly believe that know the things he knows?” I will tell you that it is easy because I believe God! Take God's promise, found in several places, not just the end of The Revelation, to protect His Word and to keep it pure and then look at the opposition that is raised up by Men of God to the Book of Mormon and the New World Translation of the Witness' and it is clear that God is serious. At the same time, God continues to raise up men, former sinners, to teach the Word, confounding the educated and others that are educated both to teach the Word and to translate the Word from the original texts to the languages in use today. I even know of a former Wican Witch that is an Oxford Scholar, involved with the translation of the scriptures into the African Dialects for the tribes in the interior. You'll notice that I said to translate, not to interpret.

So, what about the Great Commission? As a Bible teacher, these past eighteen, plus, years, God also gave me the love for the lost. I very firmly believe that this love is present in every Born Again man and woman. It comes out of them in various forms but it is always there.

Recently I did something I'm going to caution you not to do unless you are so well grounded in the faith that you are homesick, even though you have never been to Heaven. I signed into an atheist forum to answer questions and to, in a friendly manor, present the Gospel, don't do this! There is a snake in S.E. Asia, the Bamboo Viper, that is nick-named the Two-Step Snake that is more friendly.

So what do we do about The Great Commission given to us by Jesus? We do the same thing that some web sites I frequent do, we make ourselves available to those that seek us out. Now, this involves preparation and monitors. In the case of a web site it involves a dedicated crew, 24 hour monitoring, to moderate this sub-forum. In the case of a Christian, it requires Absolute Faith and constant Bible Study. You should have a minimum of five years of constant Bible study and not a day less.

In the case of our Church we must remember that we are a Church Family and we must learn to obey our Elders. I am not speaking of some elected persons serving as the Elders on staff, that is a popularity contest, not a qualification. The Elders I speak of are found in every Church Family, they are the men spoken of in the scriptures that are to live their lives as an example for the young men to follow. They might be elected Elders of the Church or they might even be, properly, ordained Elders or Deacons, God still has a hand full of those men in His service today, but most of all they must be strong in the Faith and they must love the lost.