1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The great sin of evangelicals

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From time to time when I am preaching- I will purposely misread a verse of Scripture, pause for a moment - than say - wait is that what the Bible says - then I will continue and state - "Oh, sorry, I was reading out the Salty Authorized Version"

Yes, I want folks to read along with me as I read Scripture! and not just take my word for it. Rather it is His Word!

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Yes, that will keep them on their toes!

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes that is what it should be like. Digging into God's word, not just more and more books written by fallible man about God's word.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Padre - You are doing exactly what we are called to do. Thank you for your ministry of mercy and love!

Evan - Let me ask you this: How many Jonahs did God send to Nineveh?

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all have the call to do the work of the evangelist. The where and how are dictated by our gifts and the opportunities given us. Pastors have unique opportunities to reach folks with the Gospel. So do ditch diggers and homemakers. We all evangelize where and when we have a voice. A person working in a factory has a circle of influence outside the reach of a cashier at Wally World. A truck driver from the east coast can have a coffee at a truck stop in Kansas with a small family from the west coast.

It is naive to think evangelism is only defined as street preaching using another man's methodology. It is forecast to be -15 this Saturday. Believe it or not there won't be an awful lot of folks on the streets. Then there is the little problem of not having a downtown. There was one until the great Urban Renewal project in the early 1970s.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:) I do that often in my mathematics lectures.....hoping to find is attention is being paid.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

My youngest brother taught High School Math for several years before working for the Defense Dept. After retiring he substituted some in a High School near DC where his wife taught. He told me if you took their calculators away they were lost.

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Unfortunately for a large portion of population that I teach the same is true. I honestly believe that calculators are put in the hands of students way too early. I am "dreading" the proliferation of applications like the following:

https://photomath.net/

9. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I've heard you admit that you've never seen a single convert from this method. Yet you claim it works?

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I appreciate your posts padre --very much.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's ironic that Evan would say this because Jonah's method was not to convert Nineveh to Judaism, it was to get them to turn from their evil, violent ways in order to avert destruction by a holy God. So he is misapplying and warping Jonah's warning message into an evangelical message. Nobody got converted from Jonah's method.

#51 InTheLight, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will again ask: How many Jonahs did God send to Nineveh?

13. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So what exactly is the "Great Sin"? Not preacing repentance on street corners? Not writing letters? Not confronting false teachers? Not listening to Way of the Master?

14. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

Funny, I don't see Paul using WotM...

"And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and proving that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ."" Acts 17:2-3 ESV

"So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there[/B]. Some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers also conversed with him. And some said, "What does this babbler wish to say?" Others said, "He seems to be a preacher of foreign divinities"--because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection." Acts 17:17-18 ESV

"And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks. When Silas and Timothy arrived from Macedonia, Paul was occupied with the word, testifying to the Jews that the Christ was Jesus." Acts 18:4-5 ESV

And I didn't see Jude tell them to write letters to heretical churches, rather he told them to build up each other in the holy faith and pray.

"But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who cause divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh." Jude 17-23 ESV

But what I see no where is them walking around proclaiming that God was getting ready to destroy them.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact that the apostle Paul usually went into the synagogues and preached and didn't stand around on a street corner has been pointed out to Evan many, many times. Doesn't matter to him, though.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation from bodily death, not salvation from eternal death.

17. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arminian multiply like rabbits!!!!

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Cal vs. Arminian have to do with this?

Look at the text. Jonah was not an evangelist, he was a prophet. He didn't convert people, he warned them.

Please address the issue instead of ducking out of the conversation with your rabbit schtick.

Answer the questions we've put:

What is the great sin of evangelicals?
    How many Jonah's did God send to Nineveh?

19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the great sin?

You seem to be acting like your beloved rabbit: darting left and right to avoid explaining yourself.

20. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

Probably trying to find a book that has those answers in them..