1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ground of Rest

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NetChaplain, Jul 11, 2018.

1. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The moment we begin to rest our peace on anything in ourselves, we lose it. This is why so many believers have not settled peace. How can you have settled peace? Only by having it in the Father’s own way. By not resting on anything, even the Spirit’s work within (not on the fruit of our faith but on the Source of our faith—NC), but on what the Lord Jesus has done entirely outside you.

Then you will know peace—also conscious unworthiness, but yet peace. The more you see the extent and nature of the evil that is within, as well as that without and around, the more you will find that what the Lord Jesus is and did, is the only ground at all on which you can rest.

As knowing the Lord Jesus to be precious to our souls, our eyes and hearts being occupied with Him, will we be effectually kept from being taken up with the vanity and sin around, and this too will be our strength against the sin and corruption within. Whatever I see in myself that is not in Him, is sin (the presence of sin is not the issue but rather the identification of it is—NC).

But then it is not in thinking upon my own sins, and being occupied with my own vileness, that will humble me; but thinking of the Lord Jesus and dwelling upon the excellence (1 Cor 2:1; 2 Cor 5:7; Phl 3:8—NC) in Him. It is well to be done with ourselves and to be taken up with the Lord Jesus.

We are entitled to forget ourselves—we are entitled to confess and forget our sins—we are entitled to forget all but the Lord Jesus. It is by looking unto Him that we can give up anything, and can walk as obedient children. Were it simply a command, we could have no power to obey.

“God hath chosen you from the beginning to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thess 2:13). It is then the belief of the truth; it is not the belief of the fruits. The Holy Spirit cannot present to me the fruit He has produced in me as the object of my faith. He speaks to me of my faults and of my sins, but never of the good works that may be in me.

He produces them in me, but He hides them from me; for if we think on them, it is but a more subtle self-righteousness. It is like the manna which, being kept, produced worms. All is spoiled—it is no more faith in action. The Holy Spirit must always present to me the Lord Jesus, that I may have peace.

— J N Darby

Excerpt from MJS devotional for July 11:

“If and when the trial comes, you will find Him waiting there.” MJS

“We should always be prepared for circumstances that will arise, and for blessings that are to come, without foreseeing what these circumstances and blessings will be. This preparation consists in attention to present responsibility, and acceptance of present discipline.

“If day by day we first seek divine direction, and then follow it, we shall be ready, when new circumstances arise, for the new blessings which will be offered. Today should be preparation for tomorrow. The only proof that we shall be equal to tomorrow’s test is that we are meeting today’s test believingly and courageously. The only evidence that we shall be willing for God’s will tomorrow is that we are subject to His will today.” -W.G.S.
    http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

• Like Like x 1