1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The HarperCollins Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by alexander284, Mar 6, 2020.

1. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The HarperCollins Study Bible: New Revised Standard Version.

What are your thoughts regarding this particular Study Bible?

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not like the first RSV, so wouldn't expect to like a "New" RSV.

I don't really know anything about it, so I looked online for info.
    From Bible Gateway
    I see they kept the "young woman" in Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.
    Compared to RSV, Isaiah 7:14: Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Imman′u-el.

As for the Study Bible, a study Bible from a secular publisher and the National Council of Churches is mostly a non-starter for me. Most of the names of the contributors mean nothing to me, but where they are from and/or with whom they associated suggests they are probably plucked from the liberal side of the theological spectrum.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are a few quotes plucked from the "Look Inside" feature at Amazon.

"Modern historical scholarship has customarily identified three main sources of Genesis--the pentateuchal sources "J" ("Jahwist" or "Yahwist," so named for its characteristic use of the divine name YHWH, "Lord"; see 4:26), "E" ("Elohist," for its use of the divine name Elohim, "God"), and "P" (or "Priestly" source), dated respectively to the tenth (or ninth), eighth, and sixth centuries B.C.E. But these alleged sources are orchestratd so skillfully and meaningfully by a later editor that the book's true literary magic arises not from the sources in their original state--if such can be known--but from their assemblage in a unified composition. The notes that follow presuppose most of the customary source divisions but, for all practical purposes, as preliterary traditions." pages 3-4

"The story depicts a flat earth and curved celestial dome surrounded above and below by primordial waters. The universe is conceived from the vantage point of earth, its center." page 6

"Both man and woman are created in the image of God, who is beyond gender or comprises both." page 7

4. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason I ask is because, in my personal experience, this study Bible is the most popular one among mainline Protestant denominations (PCA and Lutheran-Missouri Synod being the exception to the rule).

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the documentary hypothesis was starting to fall out of favor even among the lberals?

6. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in the San Francisco Bay Area, at least. ;)

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, Harper Collins is one of the four entities that holds a British Crown copyright on the KJV.

8. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Help me out here. How does this fact tie in with the OP?

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people seemta link anything from Harper Collins as evil.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have it. Only as a study reference. Would I recommend it? Generally not. I also have the NWT study Bible too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. How did you get your hands on a copy of the NWT Study Bible?

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the NRSV is better than the RSV in a few places: Genesis 1:16. Romans 9:5. It still shares problems: Isaiah 7:14. Hebrews 1:3.

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps your comment refers to mine above. I do not think of Harper Collins in terms of good or evil. I think of them as a huge publishing conglomeration. My point was that "Harper Collins" in the name of a commentary does not draw my interest as something I would likely want to buy.

As far as publishing, Harper Collins is a profitable business and will look in all directions they see as profitable, which includes the Christian market. I do not see that as inherently evil, just normal capitalism. Among the Harper Collins family is HarperCollins Christian Publishing, Inc, which includes Thomas Nelson and Zondervan, names familiar to most of us, probably. Bible Gateway, which I use regularly, is owned by Zondervan. Do "some people" think Harper Collins is "evil"? I don't know. Do I? No. Will I rush to buy a study bible with their imprint? No. I will be skeptical. (Also the NCCC connection doesn't help.)

Perhaps that this is published under "HarperCollins" rather than Thomas Nelson or Zondervan indicates they are directing it toward a certain market?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bought it for $10.00 from a JW aquaintance many years ago (in the 1990's). You can download the PDF. They have a new 2013 edition of their translation. Which completely omits John 7:53 - John 8:11 and omits the long ending of Mark 16:9-20.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see.

But I don't use study Bibles anyway. The "study" is just an opinion, and I have an opinion as well, so why fool with them?

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes it is useful to understand a view not held, if an explanation of that view can be found.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main reason became so popular was that it was one of the first translations to get into gender inclusive renderings, and also that its notes and Introductions reflects liberal scholarship of the worst kind!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    really good for Introductions, articles, supplemental study materials!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they still have their Greek interlinear that did call Jesus the lord and God of me for Thomas?

20. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer commentaries to "study Bibles," with the opinion and commentary clearly and distinctly separate from the Bible text itself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1