1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Heresy of Ideological Religion

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FollowTheWay, Jan 12, 2018.

1. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sojo.net/magazine/february-2018/heresy-ideological-religion

Perhaps the most blatant recent example of a “state church” mentality in relation to Donald Trump was a tweet by Franklin Graham. “Never in my lifetime,” the son of Billy Graham tweeted, “have we had a @POTUS willing to take such a strong outspoken stand for the Christian faith like @realDonaldTrump. We need to get behind him with our prayers.” Such an uncritical, unprophetic, and ungodly devotion to such a deeply ethically compromised president does call to mind the complicit church in 1930s Germany.

The Barmen Declaration was clear about the separation that must be maintained between the church and the state. “We reject the false doctrine,” the declaration said, that “the church ... should and could appropriate the characteristics, the tasks, and the dignity of the state, thus itself becoming an organ of the state.”

Uncritical devotion to Trump by some conservative Christians calls to mind the complicit church in 1930s Germany. THE PRESIDENCY of Donald Trump has raised the question of whether this is a “Bonhoeffer moment.” This goes far beyond partisan politics—many conservatives and Republicans, along with liberals and Democrats, are raising questions about the moral and religious issues at stake in the presidency of Donald Trump.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FTW, my friend you do see that he is a decoy to certain peoples agenda and so his base will never criticize him don’t you? His base will always adore him....and even if he is exposed as a no-good scoundrel, they will become hysterical on any attack on him. In fact, they will attack the outraged attackers of their darling.

But you should know this, you certainly have been experiencing it. Trump has what, 30-40 % approval rating so what he does with DACA will be significant. You will just have to wait and see.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW I have let it be known that I am a former Democrat (JFK Type) and personally I would NOT be upset if the "dreamers" were given amnesty.

Mostly because of their innocence in their supposed "crime".

What is taken for granted: For the most part they have assimilated, they are productive "Americans".

Some howevers:
    However, President Trump will be maligned by some of his core and even lose some of his base if he fails in his promise to send them back, perhaps deservedly?

However he will gain some to his core perhaps even outweighing his loss.

What is disheartening for me (as it was with the previous administration) is that the verbal fisticuffs focus is on the bipartisan issues rather than the consideration of human values and compassion and that of the innocent, that is bad.

HankD (Pro-life, small "i" independent)

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "worship" pf president Obama by the liberals and mainstream media makes the views of us towards Trump look like mauch ado about nothing!
    President Obama was seen by many as being the "Black Messiah"

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I
    Then he should show what he is all about and deport them all, fire Mueller etc. He needs to be a strong president, build that wall, insult whom he pleases at will and stop pussyfooting around.:Sneaky

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All this fire and fury when the constitution says that the government should stay out of religion.

7. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right after he was "elected" I told my asst. pastor that the real loser was not thew Democrats but the evangelical Christian Church. I will NEVER back off fighting against those who diminish the potential for spreading the gospel throughout the world. I know about politics ( I once headed up a political campaign and appeared in radio debates, running the campaign office, coordinating volunteers and was on a local morning talk show.) That was a long time ago and I had decided to back off politics because it impacted my ability to witness to all. But I can't stay out of this one. Not only is Trump destroying America but he is of the Devil and is causing Christians to distort their faith. I think you can see that here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ridiculous. Did Christian leaders like Franklin Graham and the SBC leaders call him the greatest Christian President they've seen in their lifetime. I've had it with Franklin. I think the world of Billy Graham. I wonder what he thinks about his son's heresy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see, first it was Hitler's Germany and now it's heresy--all over one tweet!

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fear not, he is nothing more than a distraction my friend. Gods people have more important things to consern ourselves with than this low life...they come and they go.

11. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does your Pastor know that you support pro-abortion democrats? Not that I'd be surprised, but if he does, and has no concerns, and I would be more concerned about him than Trump.

Back in the day the Church used to take moral/political stands. They did so with slavery, they did so with abortion. Today, the Church is either apolitical or hard left, supporting everything from gay marriage to abortion rights. That to me is a step toward Hitler (not the other way around). Because when you look at the abortion numbers, we've tripled Hitler's murders. That's astounding.

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

Like what? Turning your backs and trying to forget the millions of babies you sacrificed in the name of piety? You really think God is more grieved with Trump than you?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh, did somebody show disrespect to your big fat hero again....boo hooo booo hooo. If you were only a true Christian, you would be out there disciplined others to follow Christ so that they would honor life instead of guarding Trump all day long... then maybe you would save some lives you phony you.

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

Thank you. You just made my case. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You neither know the history of this country nor do you understand its founding.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your case is that you are a phony then you wear it well :Laugh

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg your pardon but Trump is not causing Christians to distort their faith. Rather they are freely choosing that path on their own

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you do!?! :Roflmao

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that freedom of speech and freedom of religion means that it is not Nazi Hitlerism and not Christian heresy for Franklin Graham to tweet a thank you to Donald Trump no matter how often you and FTW say that it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn’t talking to you