1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Heresy of Indifference

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Apr 18, 2015.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for ruining the May Edition for me :)

Where was the spolier alert? I'm still in the April magazine.....you know, because it is still April...haha.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There must a complement between good doctrine and the graces of the local church. A.W. Pink was a theologian that did much good in the teaching of sound doctrine. Unfortunately he eventually turned his back on the local church. His personal pet peeves became so great that they eclipsed the very institution Christ established. Corporate worship, fellowship, loving correction (discipline), administration of the ordinances, et. al.; all of these things come under the pervue of the local church. When we willfully exclude ourselves from Christ's established administration, we are exhibiting rebellion.

3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about that!

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly. I created that thread as a way of reaching out to those who are on the receiving end of CDS. I am a work in progress in that regard. There is a vocal minority of BB members who have a bad case of CDS. The gut reaction is to respond in kind. That does nothing but bring the person on the receiving end down to the other person's level. It would a wonderful thing if we were able to debate doctrine and theology on their merits, but that does not happen. CDS is the playing field and the game is rigged. The only way of responding is not to respond. I wish all those with whom I share a like-minded theology would simply agree not to respond to those suffering from CDS. Cut off the food supply (in-kind responses) and only the most pathological will keep posting.

#24 Reformed, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2015
  5. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. Christians too many times are guilty of exalting doctrine over the church, people, and dare I say...God.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you talking about me....if you are then you don't know me very well. And btw what's your responsibility to all this? When someone tells you there is a void? Where is your support....yea big freaking zero. However it's the assumption it's your personal problem......it's you that's in rebellion. Yea,I didn't leave the area.....lm here with people who are leaving your churches in droves.you know who's left Calvin, I will tell you....the dead and the dying. 10 years from now pal, all these places will be is real estate sell offs. So keep it up....keep throwing up pat excuses for all your ineptitude. You know what.....ahhh forget you.

7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not referring to you. I was referring to you in post #20.

8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. There needs to be a balance between doctrine and the Church. I cannot imagine what my life would be like if I had doctrine but no friendships. A few years ago I was facing a life threatening illness. It was God's people who surrounding me and my family with Christ's love. I needed that manifestation of God's love more than I needed to hear a rock solid sermon.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry?!? You are suggesting you have to be in church to have close friendships???? Huh, my next door neighbor lost his wife to cancer and this whole neighborhood helps him, takes over meals, sits with him, watches over him....and nobody belongs to his church.....in fact, if anything they are ex Catholics whohavent seen the inside of a church in years.

But for my own edification,where then do we put DoG on the priority scale.....from your prospective?

Lastly.....since my community has no real 'Baptist church' of any stripe, but we have a plethora of Catholic churches, should I be going there for your suggested Christian fellowship? Isn't that your default suggestion?

10. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you thought about doing what Paul would do? Plant a church?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.......but do you have any experience doing that?

12. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no lol...I've taken a church planting and development course but no experience whatsoever. Lack of experience shouldn't stop you though...there seems to be a need.

13. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me? Yes. I am closest to those I worship and fellowship with. My church family is, in a very real sense, my family.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a pastor.....I have no training, no budget, not of sound health. Yada yada.....would you not think some of these here self professed Christian evangelicals would take the hint and come riding in like the calvery .....Ha ha ha ha:laugh:

But now we have drifted off the subject....Reformed was basically trying to make the point that some non Calvinists here take shots at Calvinists because there obsessive / cumpulsive fixation of hating the entire Calvinistic movement and the guts of any card ccorrect Calvie. Further he has a name for it and will apply it to anyone who is deemed a bomb thrower. So lastly, he is enploring all level headed Calvinists to either be scholarly when they can....or else go dark when the Cretan non Calvinist bomb throwers appears. Do I have that summation correct?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well my family is my family......without exception.

As for church.....I see them as all true believers without exception. So I'm duty bound to bring Christ out into the world through the Word. I don't limit that most important duty to just one group of people.

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go back to the OP. This thread has nothing to do with Calvinism.

17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outside of those that live under the same roof as me, I spend most of my time with the members of my church. That is just the way it is. That does not mean I do not share the Gospel with people outside my church. I do. But I am referring to those that I am closest to. I am closest to those who share my Christian journey.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ohhhhhhh dear....I must be slipping! My bad....that must be your CDS post I was describing....mi aculpa!!!!

One thousand apologies....this ones 'Doctrine' correct ....and its importance. Correct!?!

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure...that's your job....and hopefully your passion.....so do you have any friends who are not emmerced in your church...perhaps even non Christians?

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. But there is a ceiling on how high a friendship can go with an unbeliever. I just visited an unsaved friend in Langhorne, PA this past Monday. He is in rehab recovering from a serious illness. We are close. But for all our closeness he repeatedly rejects the Gospel. Our friendship can only go so far. We cannot mutually rejoice in our risen Savior. I have no hope that I will my friend in glory, unless God is merciful and gloriously saves him.