1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The hidden dangers of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know if I'm slow today but I still don't see how you get destroying Sodom and Gomorrah tying into the elect/non-elect.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God said He would destroy S & G if there were not 10 righteous people found. Only Lot and his wife were found to be righteous (less than 10). The others in the city that were destroyed were not righteous, i.e., not "elect".

Jesus said these non righteous, non elect people could have...no, would have repented. Calvinism teaches only the elect can truly repent. The non righteous, non elect of Sodom could have repented.

4. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi Tom Butler

I really appreciate your post about Matthew 11:

Here is the passage.........
    Did you notice the repeated point the Lord was making........
    “But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.”

The point being made is, how more judgement will be poured out on those, who were given more light.
    --------------------------------------------------
    It doesn’t say that no works were done in “Tyre and Sidon and Sodom”, but just that not as many works were done in other places.

While everyone is going to receive “some light”, some will receive even greater light.
    (But everyone will have to make there own decision!)

Thanks again for the heads up about this passage.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No - He's saying that even the evil in those depraved cities would have repented of their evil ways if God chose to reveal Himself to them. But He CHOSE not to. Didn't He?

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

#287 Jarthur001, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't pretend to have all the answers about Matthew 11:20 ff. I don't know howto interpret the verse you quoted about Sodom in v.25. Nor do I know why Jesus thanked the Father for hiding the truth from one group of people and revealing it to another, and that the Father considered it good to do so.

This seems to suggest that "these things" hidden in v. 25, refer back to Tyre, Sideon and Sodom. And, I dont know why Jesus said they would have repented had they heard of the mighty works, yet did not give them that opportunity.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't get that from that passage at all that He chose not to reveal Himself to them. Romans 1 states clearly that He is revealed to all men, and all men either accept or reject the Truth. What we do see from that passage is Christ saying that a group of people who are NOT elect, who were not chosen for salvation before the beginning of the world like calvinism teaches, could have repented!

#289 webdog, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And what would that be?

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Read carefully: "If" and "would." The works were not there, and therefore they did not repent.

The bigger question is this: If God wants all men to be saved, why didn't he do these miracles in Tyre and Sidon so that they would repent?

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

All you have done is attempt to explain what calvinism teaches vs what the Bible teaches about salvation.

No, only calvinism agrees with that point as I also agree with the Bible.

Both statements are true.

man's wisdom is compiled up into a testimony where salvation is concerned. It agrees with Scripture and is the most powerful tool in the Christian's hand to tell others about Christ.:godisgood:

You seem to imply a two-hearted belief system: one is the Gospel to every creature so men might be saved / the very essence of the will of God. The other is what we have witnessed is the ideal of calvinism that God chose only to save those he created for the purpose of saving and all others never had the chance to have their will broken. These "saved / created to be saved" is what you refer to as the "elect". The Bible NEVER refers to anyone as elect until they are addressed as being part of the Body/ the Church/ saved.

Jacob was called, Israel chosen. Jacob was the subplanter, after interaction of the Spirit he became the Chosen of the Lord/ the Son of Promise.

The Bible is very clear in this precept. Calvinism teaches against this very precept.

Calvinism fogs the understanding and leaves men at the mercy of the "scholars"

FOUL! Another danger of calvinism exposed!
    Yes, it does teach that, but then goes on to say only the elect can get saved.

Writing out the will of man in any decision about salvation and serving the Lord isn't a far stretch of the imagination.

No, I said that any saved man has the evidence before him that all Scripture is in harmony, yet calvinism is NOT in harmony with all Scripture!

The problem here is twice now you have alluded to a supposition as if I have broken BB rules.

If you cannot do any better than make accusations from the convoluting of what I say then it might be best you stay out of the kitchen.
    OK, which is it now? Sounds like you're stabbing in the dark for a slimey morsel that just isn't there!

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Simply because they killed all the prophets sent unto them and God had enough of their wickedness and destroyed them!

God had witnesses in all cities of Sodoma and Gomorrah, yet their wickednesses brought on the judgement of God.

All those had their chance, yet they refused to repent.

Repenetence is necessary for election, yet those who refuse cannot be elect until they DO repent! These did not and passed God's deadline.:godisgood:

#294 Salamander, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

MB said,
    Exactly what I've been telling calvinists for years!:thumbsup:

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

According to the passage, Jesus said Tyre and Sidon would have repented had they seen the same mighty works of Chorazin and Bethsaida. That's the great mystery to me. If that's the case, why did not Jesus go there, or send somoe of his disciples? I simply don't know the answers.

What I do see here is that Jesus made a connection between the mighty works and repentance. Paul made a similar connection in Romans 10, when he asked, how shall they call on him of whom they've not heard, and how can they hear without a preacher?

I wish I knew why no one went to Tyre and Sidon so they would repent; and I don't know why God sent no prophet to Sodom to warn them. The result was the same--they died in their sins.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Vs? What Calvinism teaches about salvation is what the Bible teaches.

No, they're not.

Really? Man's testimony is the most powerful tool? Too bad Paul didn't know that. He said the gospel was the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes. He said nothing about your testimony (or mine) being the most powerful.

You seem not to read very well. I have implied nothing of the sort. The Bible teaches that all men are sinners deserving of hell, and willfully going there. The Bible teaches that God chooses some to save them. The Bible (not me) calls them the elect.

Well, 2 Tim 2:10 is a plain and direct refutation of this. There we see elect who are not yet saved.

Nonsense.

Can you show any non-elect person getting saved?

Really? Can you show me a passage of Scripture that Calvinism is out of harmony with? (I hope so, because I have asked before and no one ever seems to be able to give one).

I simply read what you said.

I believe you do not understand either the Scriptures or Calvinism.

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

hmmmm ... you got verses for this? Because it sounds to me like God admitted he didn't do everything he could have to secure their repentance.

You got a verse for this to? Can you show us one place in Scripture where election is predicated on repentance

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Calvinists and most non-Calvinists agree that all the elect from eternity will be saved in time. And none of those who are not elect will be saved.

Thus, both sides will hold that those saved in the Nineveh revival were those whom God had chosen. We'll disagree about the ground of the election, but agree on the objects.

Where did you come up with the view that the people of Nineveh were non-elect but were saved in spite of it?

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If they both teach exactly the same things then one of the two is not necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.