1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The high cost of a believer rejecting Jesus Christ

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by icthus, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Oh how you twist and turn! </font>[/QUOTE]Feel free to demonstrate how. You have made this accusation several times, but so far, have been unwilling to provide any scriptural evidence of it.

Why haven't you used Scripture to support your idea that God redeemed man because of his value? I can't find that anywhere, and so far, you haven't shown us.

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Larry,
    You have ignored others more skilled in doing so than I, so there is little prospect that you will recognize yourself in what I post from these threads that you have said that actually twist scripture from its true meaning to what you want it to mean.

I am convinced that you either do not understand the scripture or you are so steeped in calvins doctrines that you cannot see the truth before your very eyes.

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

YOu are convinced wrongly. I have yet to see anyone show a place where I have twisted Scripture. You certainly haven't even offered a place. Why not? You made the accusation. You should probably either back it up, or retract it. It doesn't seem to me to make a lot of sense to talk a good game, and then back away when someone takes you up on it.

I haven't ignored anyone that I know of. I may have not seen something, but I haven't ignored it.

I have shown places where you have misused Scripture and twisted the meaning. I didn't back away from that challenge. I have shown clear evidence on many occasions that you have misused Scripture.

So, I encourage you to either back up your statement so we can discuss it, or retract it. I don't care which option you choose, but you should take one or the other.

And you still haven't defended your statement that God saves us because of our value. Why not?

4. icthus

icthus New Member

There are some non-calvinists on this thread that are placing far too much emphasis on the "human" in Salvation, and not enough on the Work of the Holy Spirit.

I am sure you can work out who they are.

5. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Larry, here is one example of how you twist the truth of scripture to suit your own personal belief system.
    No Larry it does not mean that at all. That in fact is a twisted, convoluted way of looking at our relationship with God. God shows us how much he loves us by sending His own son to redeem us. If we were worthless as you have twisted the scriptures to say, then God would not have sent his own son, He himself would have delivered upon us fire and brimstone like he did on Sodom and Gomorrah, for their sins were a strong stench in God's nostrils.

I have read Ephesians 1 through several times in a deliberate attempt to discover what you see there, and I cannot find it Ephesians 1 that our salvation is all about God's worth and God's Glory. Yes, it does say this
    Is this what you are referring to as being God's purpose for salvation?

Is your declaration not an attempt to twist the truth contained in Ephesians 1?

I said,

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Doin' a little shadow boxing Icthus?

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

No Larry it does not mean that at all. That in fact is a twisted, convoluted way of looking at our relationship with God.</font>[/QUOTE]Then show us this with Scripture, not your own opinion. The Bible says that we are helpless, unprofitable, wicked, sinful people. How much is that worth?

I agree with that.

So we are worth something but the people in Sodom and Gomorrah were not? The Bible says that we all deserve what they got. Yet God showed us mercy. And on those who do not believe, they will have fire and brimstone on them for all eternity. What are they worth?

And what Scripture do you base your position on? I keep asking that and you refuse to tell us anything other than your own opinion.

You can't see that three times he talks about salvation being to the praise of the glory of his grace (vv. 6, 12, 14)? How can you miss that? And look at how the focus is on God in that passage.

No, my declaration is the express statement of Eph 1. There is no twisting involved.

That seems a very convuluted paragraph. Its major problem is its total lack of Scripture. The fact that we are powerless to save ourselves from the penalty of sin is not a twisting of Scripture. It is the direct teaching of Scripture, such as Titus 3:5 where it is not based on what we do, and Eph 2 where it is not of our works. In fact Gal 2 says that if we could be saved any other way then Christ died in vain.

For the umpteenth time, where does Scripture say this? Why should we take your word for it? Show us what God said.

This is based on a faulty premise, and thus draws a faulty conclusion.

Again, show us Scripture. And tell us how that fits with the passages about sin. Nowhere can I find such a teaching in Scripture.

You should have stopped after "Father." you would have been right.

Why do you refuse to use Scripture to support your views? I don't quite understand that.

8. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Ephesians Chapter 1

Address and greetings

1. Paul, by the will of God an apostle of Christ Jesus, to God's holy people, faithful in Christ Jesus. 2. Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

God's plan of salvation
    3. Blessed be God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with all the spiritual blessings of heaven in Christ. Thus he chose us in Christ before the world was made to be holy and faultless before him in love, marking us out for himself beforehand, to be adopted sons, through Jesus Christ. Such was his purpose and good pleasure, to the praise of the glory of his grace, his free gift to us in the Beloved, in whom, through his blood, we gain our freedom, the forgiveness of our sins. Such is the richness of the grace which he has showered on us in all wisdom and insight. He has let us know the mystery of his purpose, according to his good pleasure which he determined beforehand in Christ, for him to act upon when the times had run their course: that he would bring everything together under Christ, as head, everything in the heavens and everything on earth. And it is in him that we have received our heritage, marked out beforehand as we were, under the plan of the One who guides all things as he decides by his own will, chosen to be, for the praise of his glory, the people who would put their hopes in Christ before he came.

13. Now you too, in him, have heard the message of the truth and the gospel of your salvation, and having put your trust in it you have been stamped with the seal of the Holy Spirit of the Promise, who is the pledge of our inheritance, for the freedom of the people whom God has taken for his own, for the praise of his glory.

The triumph and the supremacy of Christ
    15. That is why I, having once heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus, and your love for all God's holy people, have never failed to thank God for you and to remember you in my prayers. May the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, give you a spirit of wisdom and perception of what is revealed, to bring you to full knowledge of him. May he enlighten the eyes of your mind so that you can see what hope his call holds for you, how rich is the glory of the heritage he offers among his holy people, and how extraordinarily great is the power that he has exercised for us believers; this accords with the strength of his power at work in Christ, the power which he exercised in raising him from the dead and enthroning him at his right hand, in heaven, far above every principality, ruling force, power or sovereignty, or any other name that can be named, not only in this age but also in the age to come. He has put all things under his feet, and made him, as he is above all things, the head of the Church; which is his Body, the fullness of him who is filled, all in all.

9. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

10. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

For the umpteenth time, where does Scripture say this? Why should we take your word for it? Show us what God said.</font>[/QUOTE]JOHN 3:16

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Because it isn't there. That isn't what the words mean, and therefore it isn't what God said. It has nothing to do with choosing apostles, as you can tell by the lack of reference to choosing apostles.

Because that isn't what it says. The praise of his glory refers to redemption.

The point of Eph 1 is that God saves, beginning with election, for his sake -- to magnify his glory. There is nothing about our worth in there, as you can tell by the absolute lack of references to our worth.

The same is true about John 3:16. There is absolutely nothing in John 3:16 that indicates God sent his Son because we were valuable to him. That verse tells us how God loved the world, not why.

12. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Larry have you read John 17:1-26?

Look for the keywords contained in Eph 1:1-12

There is a direct parallel between the two sets of scripture.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I have read both, and there are parallels, but they are certainly not direct, and they both say the same thing ... That God saved us for his own glory. Neither say anything about the worth of man.

Why keep stalling on us? Why not tell us where Scripture says that God saved us because of our worth to him?

14. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

The scripture do not say it directly, but have you ever heard the expression "actions speak louder than words"?

Likewise, the scriptures do not use the terms trinity or Rapture, However, there is not a living Christian that does not understand them both.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

The difference is that the Scriptures teach clearly both the Rapture (whenever you tyhink it is) and the Trinity. It does not teach anything remotely similar to "God saved us for our worth." It teaches that man is completely and utter sinful, with nothing worth saving.

16. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

For what possible reason would God save us then if it was not for the worth that HE sees in us?

17. RodnStaff

RodnStaff New Member

And this you say of God's creation. So, God does create junk. Perhaps He is not all that creative.

Honestly, Calvinism is like a slap in the face to God. How could anyone dare to insult and blaspheme Him so?

18. russell55

russell55 New Member

No, God created good. The junkiness comes as a result of Adam's fall.

What is a slap in the face to God is not acknowledging that the process that begins when we are born again is a new creation. It is an "ex-nihilo" creation in the same way the first creation was.

Out of nothing, out of darkness, God's light shines into our hearts to recreate something of value within us--He gives the glorious knowledge of God in the face of Christ.

19. whatever

whatever New Member

For the umpteenth time, where does Scripture say this? Why should we take your word for it? Show us what God said.</font>[/QUOTE]JOHN 3:16 </font>[/QUOTE]John 3:16 is about the quality of God's love, not our value.

20. whatever

whatever New Member

For what possible reason would God save us then if it was not for the worth that HE sees in us? </font>[/QUOTE]Great question. It was in order to display the worth in Himself - the glory of His grace and mercy - that He saved us.