1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The History of Hannakah

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

As we draw close to Christmas it is interesting to see that Jewish people and others are celebrating Hannakuh.

There is no instruction in the Bible for Christians to celebrate Christmas, yet Jesus is recorded in John 10:22 celebrating Hannakuh.

Yet what is Hannakuh? I really had no idea what it was all about, yet I came across an interesting site from the History Channel which seems to give a great outline of what Hannakuh is all about.

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/holidays/hanukkah/history.html

2. mioque

mioque New Member

The historical background of the feast is covered in I + II Maccabees which are included in any RC Bible and in the older editions of the KJB.
    http://biblia.com/bible/maccabees.htm

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hanukkah is the celebration of the cleansing of the temple after its desecration by Antiochus Epiphanes in the 300s BC. (He sacrificed a pig upon the altar.)

In this time the Jews had rededicated themselves to completely obeying God; it was their equivalent of a "revival". It soon became an annual event. Remember, at His baptism, when asked why HE needed baptism, Jesus replied, "I must do all that's good". Same with Hanukkah...although Jesus needed no 'revival' He was simply doing that which was good. The OT contains several accounts of great 'revivals' occurring after a Godly king had replaced a pagan one who'd led israel into idol-worship. So Scripture does indirectly mention the SPIRIT of Hanukkah before the actual event was initiated. And nowhere is it CONDEMNED in Scripture.