1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Holy Life

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

The1Bill...

You took...it appears...great exception with Vans comment here...

I would suggest you spend some time studying New Covenant theology, and learning the difference between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant.

What Van posted, and you took exception to, is in fact gosple truth.

As new covenant (or new testament) children of God, our primary scriptures for learning are the New Covenant scriptures.

Everything before that...the Old Testamemt and the 4 Gospels, should be studied in light of the truth contained in the Epistles.. This is VERY important. It can not be over emphasised.

God bless.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    aic
    all scripture is given by God and profitable

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Actually I don't hold that the NT has replaced the OT. I believe that the NT has has fulfilled the OT. As to Matt one could easily argue that it is part of the OT even though it is written and placed in the NT writings since the church did not officially start until Pentecost.

4. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast...

Of course it is! My goodness, that's a given.

But, the scriptures that are the primary source of doctrine, for the new covenant christian, are the scriptures that emphasise new covenant truth.

There is indeed progressive revelation.

Nobody denies that. However, we must always take into consideration the further revelation..known as "progressive revelation", that God has given us when interpreting the scriptures.

Of cource. But it is extremely imprortant that we interpret the old covenant in light of the truth revealed in the New testamant, and particularly the New Covenant scriprtures. Failing to do so will only produce great GREAT confusion for those who ignore that princlple.

Actually, the fact that you are argueing AGAINST such an important principle as "progressive revelation" is somewhat telling, to be honest.

It explaines a lot.

I highly recommend that you not scoff and make light of such an important topic as this, Iconoclast.

God Bless.

5. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir,
    There are no caps in my screen name so that there is a paradox contained there in. The screen name is a hang on from my days on stage and today, I know, I´m not, your not and neither is Van that important! Now, I take exception, strong exception to any man that teaches heresy!

On the other hand you need to find out who you are addressing before placing foot in mouth, it awfully hard on the teeth. You jumped right off the Bridge with that New Testament Theology statement and you almost landed in Gehana! I teach the Bible and Life-Style application of the scriptures every day of the year for better than 19 years now and right off the bat you told me that ascribe to that Oxymoron Ideology of New Testament Christianity.

The Bible Jesus used and taught from is the one He inspired to be written and that we know today, incorrectly most of the time, as the Old Testament! The Bible has been divided into 39 books today and the following 27 that are also inspired to be written by Him are the very best Life Application ever written on the Bible. Van and my concern for his false teaching goes beyond this string and every time Iḿ slapped with these ¨Cold Hard Facts¨ that teach of the passing of the Mosaic Law and it´s replacement contract I do my best to teach you young men to stop interpretting the Bible, to fall down on your faces praying for the indwelling and the infilling of the Holy Spirit, that He can and will teach you, just as He has me for these past 21+ years.

6. Alive in Christ

th1bill...

I think I got you name right this time. sorry!

I dont care for them either. But I see absolutly no heresy of any kind in Vans post.

Well, I applaud you :applause:. I hope all is going well for you.

I'm not sure what you are saying with that statement. Could you you articulate it more clearly?

Thats correct.

But some wonderfull things have happened since then.

They are...

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corithians, Galatians, Ephesians, etc etc you get the idea.

We have what is known as progressive revelation.

Bill, nobody wants to get rid of even one jot or tittle of the scriptures. The scriptures are what they have always been...our truth standard.

But the scriptures themselves make supremely clear that we, in this particular period of time,are not in any sense "UNDER" the 10 commandments. The Ten Commandments are an instrument of condemnation.

We, as New Covenant christians have been freed from that condemnation.

The scriptures proclaim that we have been freed from the Law, we are no longer "under" the law, we are dead to the Law, we are released from the Law, We are told that NOBODY can possibly be justified by the law, etc etc etc.

The law is out tutor..to force us to flee to Christ. And after we come to Christ..."we are no longer under the tutor"

The law has done its job.

We now walk in the "newness of the Spirit" and NOT the "oldness of the letter.

Its a beautiful thing that our great savior has done for us.

7. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I´ll do my best to make it clear and if I fail, just let me know and I´ll try again. But before explaining New Testament Christianity i need to explain the context that flows between Van and myself. We recently had a conversation where he laid out his premise to me and it was heresy and I so stated. He, having not repented, is on less obvious ground here but when one has read his words before there is a context that is unbroken.

Now, New Testament Christians are, indeed, called by a title that establishes a thing that is not in the eyes of God. For all of my study over the past two decades, I have found no break in continuity of the scriptures from Gen. 1:1 through the very last Amen of Rev. 22. The Bible is one continuous context from beginning to end and any time a person takes on the NTC position they have tossed the Bible into file 13 and they are studying the Commentary alone. Any serious study of scripture links the Old Testament to the New because that was the Bible Jesus, Peter, Paul and all the rest taught and quoted from.

I´m going to make my point with some light humor, I hope. If you were to find one of my favorite East Texas expressions is, ¨It´s raining cars and dogs out there.¨ If that statement is quoted without the surrounding context, the case for dead pups and kittens all over the ground in Texas could be made and somebody would believe it because they read it on the WWW.

The same, and just as dramatic, can be done with the New Testament only. Not only can it be effectively, it has been done in the near past.

Here´s hoping that You are not a NTC, but in any case may God bless you and yours.

8. Alive in Christ

th1bill and Iconoclast....

Do you hold strictly to the dietary requirments given in the old testament, as God commands?.

If not, there are only two options...

1) You are in disobedience and rebellion.

2) You hold to at least 1 aspect of progressive revelation...which you are currently argueing against.

#28 Alive in Christ, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

On this board that is not your call.
    It is also against the rules on this board to call into question another person's salvation. It is God that condemns a person to Hell not you.
    Be careful how you sling that word "heresy" around.
    Van is entitled to his beliefs on this board. He need not to be condemned by you. Condemnation is not debate. If you need help in wording further posts please read the rules posted at the bottom of each page.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to freeatlast

Neither do I!!!, The New Covenant has replaced the Old Covenant!!!! I hold to that. Why change my words around and create strawmen? If you just want to play word games, fine, but I was trying to present my view of scriptural truth.
    And for that I am condemned or my words twisted.

Perhaps we should back up and make clear a few definitions. The "Old Covenant" refers to the arrangement God had with His people given in the "Old Testament." This arrangement has been replaced by the New Covenant in the blood of Jesus, a once for all sacrifice providing justification to all men.
    Jesus is now the propitiation for the whole world. No one comes to the Father except through Jesus.

For if the first Covenant had been faultless there would have been no occasion sought for a second. But what does Jeremiah 31:31-34 say?

I cannot understand how anyone could study Hebrews, especially chapter 9 and not teach this truth.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi bill...haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well with you brother. how are you feeling, I hope hasn't given you to much trouble.

Have a blessed Sunday!:jesus:

12. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you anjd may God bless you and yours.

13. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The biggest point missed and not taught to the new breed of New Testament/New Covenant Christian Teachers is, the Bible is the Book Jesus/God not only wrote for us but taught from it here on earth. In the Christian version of the Holy Scriptures, that is the first 39 books misnomered as the Old Testament. the following 4 books are the Gospel and the other 23 are the only God inspired/authored Life Application Commentaries on the Bible that Jesus inspired/authored. (Jon 1:1-3)