1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Holy Spirit and Salvation !

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by savedbymercy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Of righteousness !

So the Holy Spirits role unto the World of the Elect, for whom Christ died, is to convince that world of sin, mainly the sin of unbelief, because by nature they believe not on Christ, but are self sufficient in their own self righteousness.

Next , 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

Yes, its all about Christ righteousness before God, thats why He was sent to die for God's People 2 Cor 5:

21For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

You see, by nature, we go about to establish our own righteousness as the jews did Rom 10:

2For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

You see if men are to attain righteousness by their own efforts, then why should Christ die ? And so thats why the Holy Spirit is come into the world to teach the standards of True righteousness, as Christ had done when He was in the world see Matt 5:17ff.

So when and following the Holy Spirit's work of convincing the elect sinner of their own unrighteousness in themselves, He reveals to them [Through the Gospel Rom 1:17] Christ as their righteousness. You see, they must first however be taught of God their own self righteousness which is implied here Jn 6:

45It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Note: The Spirit's work can also be The learning of the Father, since the Father is First cause, and He [The Spirit] is sent by the Father in the Name of the Son Jn 14:26.

Now , The Gospel Truths of Christ being made sin for us, a elect people, in order that the righteousness of God we be made in Him. This Gospel comes to us in Power, revealing the righteousness of God to us Rom 1:

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

17For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Notice that this righteousness is revealed. The greek word is apokalyptō which means:

to uncover, lay open what has been veiled or covered up

a) disclose, make bare

2) to make known, make manifest, disclose what before was unknown

A righteousness that we did not know we had is disclosed to us through the Gospel, its made known by the Power of the Holy Spirit.

Its the same word paul uses in 1 Cor 2 :

7 But we speak [Preach] the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

10But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

So its the Spirit that reveals this Righteousness we have because of Christ, of which we knew nothing of, if we are of the elect..So its a revealing, something that has to be made known.

When Jesus said of the Spirit, that He shall Glorify Me Jn 16:

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

He takes of Christ righteousness, which He worked out for His People, and shews [Make it known] to them..

And Christ is Glorified When once a self righteous sinner, trusting in their own efforts and works, is now caused to rest in His righteousness for them.

Now understand whats happened here, the sinner has been shown that Christ has already been made their righteousness, and their Faith, which is by the Grace of the Holy Spirit, receives and rests and Trust in the gospel of their salvation see Eph 1:13, but they Trust in what has been revealed, so Faith or believing is not the cause of this righteousness, but Faith reveals that it [righteousness] is ours and effects the believing or the Trusting..

Hence Paul says as well as all True believers Phil 3:

9And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Thank the Blessed Spirit for making this Righteousness known to God's Elect..

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Of Judgment !

Jn 16:8-10

8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

What is it the Holy Spirit in Salvation applied teaches the redeemed church of Judgment, because of the Prince of this world, who is satan is judged.

Satan the god of this world was Judged and defeated at the Cross, Christ destroyed him who had the power of death Heb 2:14

14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

This was His Judgment, and the tyranny he held over the gentile world in regards to the True God was rendered inoperative by the Cross. Thats why it says He shall bring Judgment to the Gentiles. Isa 42:1

Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Repeated here Matt 12:18

Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

The Knowledge of salvation being now revealed to the Gentile world is an effect of satan being Judged and defeated at the cross. Satan was also bound for a thousand years, again, so that he couldn't as he once did, deceive the nations, or the gentiles..Rev 20:3

And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

This knowledge was especially needed for the first true ministers of the gospel, the Twelve as they were to go into the nations and disciple Christ Sheep. Now knowing that the Spirit has come, satan Judged, they could expect success in the gentile world with the Gospel of Christ..

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

St Jn 16:8-10

When the Holy Ghost comes to the elect sinner, that sinner having had been redeemed[purchased] by the blood of Christ, He comes in Power[1 Thess 1:5] and convinces that one or ones of all that Christ has accomplished by His Faithful obedience to the Cross Phil 2:8

8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

as our surety. When He [The Holy Spirit] reveals Christ in us [ St Jn 16:14] we are taught of God [ Jn 6:45], that our sins have been sufficiently dealt with Ps 103:10,12

10He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

12As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Note: This is Covenant Knowledge.

That Righteousness has been everlastingly established by Christ obedience Dan 9:24

24Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

And that Judgment or Justice has been appeased by Christ blood, and Satan has been Judged, that his head has been bruised.

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Holy Spirit reveals to us our Salvation !

People do not realize it today, but being saved is matter of it being revealed to us. Its nothing that we do to get saved, but what God through Christ has done to His People, and this is and or will be revealed [testified] unto to all the Heirs of Salvation in God's due time by the work of the Holy Spirit.

Paul writes to the Corinthians 1 Cor 2:7-12

7But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery [The Gospel], even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

8Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

This word prepared, is the same word Jesus uses in Matt 25:34

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

God the Holy Spirit reveals unto the Heirs of the Kingdom, that they have been Chosen in Christ from the foundation to be recipients of this Blessed Kingdom ! God sends them this Revelation by the Gospel of the Kingdom. Thats what Paul is saying here to the Corinthians.

10But God hath revealed[made known] them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

The Spirit makes it known to us our Salvation in Christ, our being Joint Heirs with Him Rom 8:16-17

11For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things the Gospel reveals, God gives us of His Spirit first [New Birth] in order that we might Know the things [ Forgiveness, Redemption, Justification, Righteousness and etc] freely given [not offered] to us [The called] of God !

I do not believe there is a more clearer statement that declares New Birth before Faith.

Paul writes to Timothy in 1 Tim 2:4-6

4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

The All here for whom Christ gave Himself a ransom for, will have it Testified unto them by the Spirit of God 1 Cor 2

The word Testified is the greek word martyrion and means:

testimony

Its the Testimony of God 1 Cor 2:1

1And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

Its the Testimony of the Gospel 2 Tim 1:8

8Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

This Testimony is confirmed in the called of Christ 1 Cor 1:6

6Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:

This is the Work of the Holy Spirit to confirm in each Heir of Salvation, Gods witness to them through the Gospel that they have been given the Kingdom Matt 25:34, He reveals it to them, makes it known, and Hence, thats having our Salvation revealed unto us, otherwise we would not have known, and there was nothing in and of ourselves we could have done to inherit the Eternal Kingdom..

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saved....Im right there with you :smilewinkgrin:

6. lakeside

lakeside New Member

I'm confused as usual when trying to figure out who belongs to 'which' denomination, you all claim to follow the Protestant rule of faith, to believe the teachings of Scripture alone,but that hardly tells me more than the claim to be Baptist . To be a "Protestant," One could be Baptist or pedobaptist, Calvinist or Arminian, Anglo-Catholic or low-church Anglican or anything in between.Was this all the invention of God or was it a purposeful confusion invented by someone other than God ?

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The Sanctification of the Spirit is unto obedience ! What obedience ? Its the obedience of Faith to the Faith.

1 Pet 1:2

Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

The word obedience here is the greek word hypakoē:

obedience, compliance, submission

2) obedience rendered to anyone's counsels, an obedience shown in observing the requirements of Christianity

Its the same word used here Rom 1:5

5By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

This obedience to the faith answers the law of faith, mentioned Romans 3:27.

The act of faith is the obedience of the understanding to God revealing, and the product of that is the obedience of the will to God commanding.
    Faith is an act of obedience , for its commanded to believe 1 Jn 3:23

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ,

Obedience is used for Faith here Rom 15:18

18For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,

And here Rom 16:26

26But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

The submission of Faith. Remember Paul said the jews had not submitted themselves to the righteousness of God Rom 10:3

3For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Paul is basically saying they have not believed, they had no faith.

But this is the obedience the Holy Spirit works into each elect vessel of mercy, He brings them unto obedience unto Faith.

2 Thess 2 :13 states the same here :

13But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Belief of the Truth here is an obedience to it, a submission or hearkening to it Gal 3:1

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

8. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

The obedience of Faith is through the Spirit !

As though 1 Pet 1:2 is not enough for the adversaries of the Truth to attribute Faith to the Work of the Spirit, Peter mentions it again later in the same chapter that they obeyed the Truth through the Spirit. 1 Pet 1:22-23

22Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

23Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

This obeying here is the same word for obedience in 1 Pet 1:2 , another confirmation that Gospel obedience comes through the effectual working of the Holy Spirit through the New Birth.