1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Dec 27, 2010.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a very disturbing trend in the Christian family today, even more disturbing than our prominent inability to get along. When we read the Book of The Acts of The Apostles we see that the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Holy Trinity, descended upon them. As we read the letters we also see that when Gentiles were saved, the Spirit descended upon them also. And as a Christian Teacher in a Southern Baptist Church, I know and I teach that when a man or a woman are saved, they are indwelt by the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit.

I have had folks, proclaiming to be saved, both in class and on the Internet tell me that not everyone can be as holy as I am! I always have and still do teach that I have no righteousness in me without the Imputed Righteousness of my Savior. If I am only found to be righteous through Him then it follows that without Him I have no holiness either. Now, if we flip this around and examine my condition carefully, in light of the revealed nature of God, in the scriptures, we see that any saved man or woman will have the same Holy Spirit to lead their lives.

I was recently informed, by an eighty-three year old "ex-pastor?” who is also an exprof that taught the Bible, that I should never hit him with "this HS Stuff,” when explaining why I had posted a message or I had stated a specific thing in a message. His explanation, as I recall, is that he had both preached and taught the Bible and he knew better!

As we all should know, God does not force any to do anything, evidenced by the fact that His perfect will is that None should perish (2Pet. 3:9) but that all should come to repentance and be saved and yet we know that the penalty for sin and failing to repent of it is death. (Rom. 6:23) And then we are taught by Jesus that there are two ways to live our lives and these are represented by the wide and the narrow gates. (Matt. 7:13) For, even the newest Christian, Hell is a real place and because they are indwelt with the Holy Spirit of God they will understand and affirm the teaching that the Second Death. (Rev. 20:14-15)

So, because we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit when we are saved we have a choice to make, we can follow His leading or, because God is not a cosmic bully, as some have suggested, we can deny Him and not be saved but still call ourselves Christian and no matter the good works we perform, work ourselves into Hell.

I will be rebuked by folks because of this message but it does not matter, the truth of the scriptures is just that, the truth! Many teachers, in and out of the church, are not God's teachers but are motivated by the all mighty dollar and any number of other purposes and they are very busy leading the deluded into Hell. In the scriptures we see Paul applauding the Bereans for their diligence. They accepted nothing that he taught without checking him and his teaching against the Bible! Today, it is no less important than it was then to test another's teaching against the scriptures and to rely on our memory to accomplish this is a Fool's Folly! One's memory is frail and easily deceived.

My prayer is that you take this message to heart. May God bless each of you abundantly.

2. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Heb 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
    Heb 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
    Heb 12:10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
    Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
    Heb 12:12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;
    Heb 12:13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.
    Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: A child of God is corrected when we do something wrong. There are a lot of people who say they are Christians and it never seems like they get corrected for doing something wrong. I have seen a lot of them in my family. Not to cast a snare on them. It just gets me worried for them when I see stuff that is so wrong but they feel it is okay to do. Not that I judge them but I worry for there soul. Some say well he is doing it I will be all right to do it! Being a bastards, and not sons is not a Good thing! Being a Christian and not being chastised by God is not a good thing. How can you be a son of God?(Christian) without being chastised. Heb 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If he has not receiveth you then you are non of his. It is scary thing to me to believe you are a Christian and are not being chastised by the spirit of a all wise and living God. I would be on my knees!

3. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Awesome! Both of you simply awesome! And I'll go further and say the Holy Spirit will manifest in us and great things will happen!The Holy Ghost is a river that will flow out of the believer performing great signs and wonders, and not lay dormant like a lake.:jesus:

4. walkbyfaith

walkbyfaith New Member

Amen brother!!!

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
    Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

5. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WOW!! I got up this morning, expecting the usual replies to this Spirit inspired topic and sure enough, on some other forums the resentment is there but not here!

May God bless each one of you as He is me!

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How can anyone deny the Holy Spirit? I can see unbelievers but believers? I'd seriously question their salvation. I see the work of the Spirit DAILY in my life. Oh my gosh - to ever think that I'd diminish His work, I just can't fathom.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I have largely found the dismissal of the work of the Holy Spirit to be a myth, constantly perpetrated.

In almost every Baptist church, and with almost every Baptist person to whom I have had a conversation on this topic wished to be somewhat quiet about the topic of the Holy Spirit, lest he or she (or they) be seen as "charismatic" in some sense by other Baptists who do not hold to the same doctrine. At the end of the day, we've been taught to be quiet about the work of the Holy Spirit in order to not offend some, but the question is, WHO? For virtually every one I talk to or hear of is working in the Spirit and admits such.

Perhaps a tactic of the enemy? :confused:

8. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, it is a tactic of the enemy! I also agree that any person that does not feel the leading of the Spirit is not saved, they cannot be. Just as God chastises His children, so does He lead us in righteous behavior.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The issue sometimes comes down to how He leads us...

I've met people who say things like, "God told me to..." or "God said..." And, when I ask them how God said or told them to do or know something they can't really answer. In a lot of cases, I'm wondering if it were God at all...

Especially when some of the things they claim that God has told or said go directly against the written, revealed Word.

Case in point, a man once told me that "God told me that I should divorce my wife so that I can be like the Apostle Paul, "single" and available for the work of ministry." When I argued that God would not say something like that because He already "said" some rather important things about marriage, the man insisted, and became divorced. Of course, he also had no ministry either. Guess it was someone else that "said." :tear:

On the board, one person made a point in a post, claiming that he "knew" because God revealed it to him. I asked him to explain this, but he could not. If God can "say" to one, He can "say" to all, and I get suspicious when He only says to one... :thumbs:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I have heard the Spirit speak to me and it's almost like my own mind thinking things but it's not something I would necessarily think. It IS hard to explain but one example is that I had just miscarried the second time, my 4th pregnancy (gave birth with one and two, lost three and four, gave birth with five and six) and was crying out to God "Why??" I then just prayed "God, I'd be comfortable with just the two children you gave me but I have such a desire for more. Please show me clearly if I should pursue this again or if I'm just going to be the mom of 2 and I will be content." I really clearly heard "You'll have more but they will be to my glory." That's it. I continued to pray and that's what I continued to hear. So I went to my husband and told him - and he has heard the same thing. So we decided no more fertility doctors. Instead I'd go back to my ob/gyn, get on the medication for the condition I have and leave the results to God. We also went to the elders of the church and were annointed and prayed over. Then we just went on our way. I DID chart my temperature still just to keep track of what was going on with my body but we weren't overly concerned with timing of everything. Well, 5 months later, I ovulated but hubby was stuck in Ohio in a snowstorm so we figured maybe next month. He came home 5 days later and a week and a half after that, I took a pregnancy test because I was late and I was pregnant! I went to the doctor and even he laughed because of my history of infertility (my first 4 pregnancies all involved fertility drugs). My son was born 8.5 months later. :) This was with no fertility drugs, no doctor's involvement, nothing more than the medication to help my insulin resistance. There was no question, this little one was conceived to God's glory. I later went on to have another baby and that one we didn't even know about until I was 10 weeks along! God not only blessed us and answered our prayers the way we hoped, but He also gave us a bonus!! :D So, I did hear from the Spirit. I know it and He was right. We'd have another to God's glory.

11. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann,
    The Holy Spirit deals with me in just the manor you have shown us here and to get my attention in November of "66 God spoke exactly 7 words to me, "Why curse me, you don't even believe?" My best friend had just died from an 81mm Mortar to the chest and I left the bunker to get him out of harm's way and found his pieces. From that moment until now God has not left me to myself.

God bless.

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Ann, what a blessing! My wife and I have had similar, but not as difficult, issues. She miscarried once and we lost our second son.

I also agree with you about the work of the Spirit. But I hear others saying that God has "instructed" them without study, etc., all of which seems to go against the Word, that tells us to study to show ourselves approved and so that we can have an answer to those who ask, not to mention all the OT scriptures that deal with hiding the Word in our heart, teaching the Word to our children, etc., all of which imply something in addition to osmosis.