1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Honor of Ron Paul

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jun 26, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sobran: The Honor of Ron Paul
    by Joe Sobran

I guess I’ve known Ron Paul for a quarter of a century now, and I don’t remember how we met. My first memory of him is a quiet dinner on Capitol Hill, during the Reagan years. He told me with dry humor of being the only member of Congress to vote against some bill Reagan wanted passed. For Ron it was a matter of principle, and he was under heavy pressure to change his vote.

What amused him was that the Democrats didn’t mind his voting against it; all the pressure came from his fellow Republicans, professed conservatives, who were embarrassed that anyone should actually stand up for their avowed principles when it was unpopular to do so.

That was Ron Paul for you. Still is.

- rest at http://buchanan.org/blog/?p=787

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I know a President who... wait a minute he is still the President....does the same thing. But instead of being cited for honor for standing up for his principles he is maligned as a liar. Interesting. Very interesting.

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

The difference is, Dr. Paul is standing as the opposition in favor of the Constitution. President Bush is not.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, but he also supports convicted criminals who act with contempt for the Constitution. (As noted in another thread)

Puzzling, to say the least.:confused:

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Let me guess.. you don't like Ron Paul?

Jamie

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Actually the opposite is true. However the op said nothing concerning the constitution. It just mentioned him taking a stand on principle in the face of much opposition.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Brother Reed is correct.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you did not watch the interview that Ron Paul did with Neil Cavuto linked in another thread?

9. Bro. James Reed

You're gonna have to explain that one to me.

The whole point is, no one would care a lick if Dr. Paul was standing for his principles if they weren't in line with the Constitution. That is why we admire him. When so many of his colleagues have trodden over that document that they are supposed to uphold, and when most of his fellow Republicans in the Congress and Presidency decided the age of big government should return, Dr. Paul stood behind his pledge to support the Constitution and continues to do so, not just in years when the Republicans want to win the majority in Congress.

Principle means nothing if it isn't grounded in something greater than itself.

10. Bro. James Reed

Maybe carpro didn't, but I did.

Dr. Paul is not in favor of armed resistence and he does not agree with the Browns' assesment of all law enforcement officers. Dr. Paul said he supports anyone who wants to legally challenge the IRS on taxes in court, even including non-payment of income taxes and other forms of non-violent protest. He also warned that anyone who does such ought to realize that they very well could lose everything they own, up to and including their freedom, if they fail. That was the comparison of people who refuse to pay taxes with Ghandi and Dr. King. All pushed for change, non-violently, and paid dearly for it personally.