1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The husband is the head of the wife

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Without a husband, Christ would be your head. Submit to His and to the Church in that order.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Actually, what the scriptures actually advocate is is mutual submission, from both partners..

It is gods "better idea"

3. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Ephesians 5:23 tells us the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church... That next bit is important. :)

Ask yourselves 'does Christ force the Church to do something they may absolutely hate'? I don't think he does. I think Christ through the Holy Spirit may move the people in such a way to get them to comply. But he's not violent with the Church. He wont get into a long argument I don't think. God has given us free will and we have a choice. And if we choose not to do (whatever), I don't think he abandons us. We may lose our joy in Salvation, but not our salvation.

Likewise, should we divorce our wife If she doesn't want to go to Sunday School? Or get into a shouting match?

Jesus is loving and gentle. Should husbands not be the same?

And a wise pastor will leave well enough alone unless invited to counsel them.

#23 Dennis324, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What verse? Where in the Bible do we see Jesus submitting to the Church?

5. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

She's looking at what you type...right? :laugh: (JK)

6. Alive in Christ

Hopefully this will help your understanding. (many scriptures)

/"]http://http://blog.cbeinternational.org/2006/11/mystery-a-defense-of-mutual-submission-within-marriage/[/URL]

Well, as is normal, the link doest work so, it will have be fixed it somehow.,

Sorry

#26 Alive in Christ, Jul 8, 2013
  7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is just fine, thank you.

Please note that I didn't ask you to explain the concept to me, but to back up your claims.

What I asked you is what verses you believe back up your claim that the husband is to submit to the wife in the context of the marriage relationship and where in scripture we see Christ submitting to the Church.

Don't care. I wouldn't read it anyway. The blog author did not make the claim. You did.

#27 JohnDeereFan, Jul 8, 2013
  8. Alive in Christ

........Thats correct. However, you sound like you will blindly reject any evidence that is given, so I wont wast my time trying to fix the link.

God bless

9. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. So, in other words, your claim that the Bible supports mutual submission in the marriage relationship is false.

Just for future reference, you really shouldn't say "the Bible says" if you're not able to show that the Bible says. That's misrepresenting the Word of God and is a sin. It also makes you look weasly.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If husband and wife have mutual respect and love for each other, and their relationship is founded on Jesus Christ and Scripture, this is never a problem. The word submission does not mean tyranny or mistreatment of each other.

11. Alive in Christ

John deer fan

You said...

Thats what you belive.

I belive that the scriptures support mutual submition.

Do you have comprehension issues?? The scriptural evidence was is the link.

The one that didnt work

There was a thread on here recently about some people (not me) posting material with out a link

I am NOT going post my material without a link.

12. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet, when asked what verses support mutual submission, you couldn't think of any.

No, I just have a no time for internet trolls issues.

But the link didn't make the claim. You did. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but this is a discussion board, not a make stupid claims and then let somebody else do the work of backing them up for you board.

I feel I gave you a fair chance to defend your claims and you just wanted to play childish games, instead. So, in accordance with Pr 26:4. (see how easy it is to show a Bible verse?), I'm going to go ahead and put you on my ignore list where you belong.

#32 JohnDeereFan, Jul 8, 2013
  13. Alive in Christ

John Deer fan...

You posted...

That will be be pefectly fine with me.

You have a good evening, and God bless you

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, not to interrupt the ignoring and such going on, but did either of you guys see Ephesians 5:21?

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I saw it and addressed it earlier in the thread. vv 1-21 refers to brothers and sisters in Christ submitting to one another in the context of the church, not husbands and wives submitting to one another in the context of the marriage. As I pointed out in my previous post, the passage concerning the relationship between husbands and wives does not begin until the next verse, v 22.

As I asked in my previous post, if marriage is an illustration of Christ's relationship with the Church, with the husband representing Christ and the wife representing the Church, where in scripture do you ever see Christ submit to the Church?

#35 JohnDeereFan, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If Ephesians 5:21 was for all relationships (which we know it is not - when does a boss need to submit to his employee?), then why would Paul then go on to just tell wives to submit to their husbands and not for the husbands to submit to their wives? Because that was a general principle for all general relationships in the church - but then there are greater "submission" roles in there as well.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The paragraph (Greek text) starts with verse 21. That means it applies to the later verses not the former and specifically to the husband, wife relationship, extending to the end of the chapter. Now you may want a complementation interpretation, which is fine, but you can't do it based on verse 21 being in the former paragraph because it's not.

Not sure about bosses comment, but the context is believer to believer submission, then husband and wife, not sure where bosses came into the picture. Paul did say that slaves should submit to their masters (6:5), is that what you're referencing? If so that comes much later in the text, and it would seem that Paul expected submission there as well.

In a broader sense, Jesus submitted to the world by being crucified for sins he did not commit. But I don't think that is what you mean. So I ask, do you view view submission as authority? I don't see that at all in the word submission. Paul could have used the word for authority here, but didn't. Submission is the voluntary, self-limiting, giving of self to another which describes Jesus wonderfully.

18. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did you come to this conclusion?

OK. Show the verse where we see Jesus submitting to the authority of the Church.

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paragraph divisions from the United Bible Society 4th edition

Uh, Ephesians 5:21. Jesus died for the church, which is the ultimate example of submission

From your answer and use of the word authority, is it safe to say you see submission as authority?

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not an example of submission.

No, but it is safe to say that you don't know what submission means. Submission means to defer to someone else's authority.

Jesus never submits to the Church's authority. To the contrary, it is always the Church that submits to Jesus' authority.

If you don't even know what submission is, then you have no credibility.