1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The husband is the kurios of his wife (1 Peter 3:6)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Olivencia, May 25, 2009.

1. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

1. They aren't "exactly" like me. I didn't buy my wife. I was travelling here and I met her. Just like with the word "hws" your giving your own twist to the meanings of words and how they apply.
    2. I don't ever plan on bringing her to the USA. She doesn't want to go there. She can not believe the women act the way they do there. Furthermore, I never want to live there. She wants to stay and I really love it here. The women act like......women. Ya know feminine.
    3. I have nothing more to say concerning "hws" as used in 1 Peter 3:6. Thayer even cites another passage and it is understood that way there as well.
    4. To top it off in my OP I cited Danker, Kittel (TDNT) and Brown who all specifically cite 1 Peter 3:6 and apply it to how a Christian wife is to be towards her husband.
    Danker, Kittel and Brown are all wrong on this?
    No way.
    Thank you though for being cordial.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your problem is that you are equating the culture of your country with verses in the Bible, and it is a flawed analogy. The correct analogy is written by Paul, that a husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church, and the wife is to submit to her husband as Christ is the head of the church. They work together in perfect union. It is God's perfect plan for a family. It is not a macho power trip. The best thing you can do is keep your culture in your country, because I sure do not want it infecting mine. You can do all the translations you want, buddy, you have missed the mark.

3. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

The culture of my country?
    The culture of the USA (my country) is so far removed to the commands for Christians.

I cited 1 Peter 3:6....that didn't originate from my country but it came from the very heart of God.

The Apostle Paul? Well he said tha a wife ought to "fear" (phobew) her husband (Ephesians 5:33). Rest assured I intend on starting another thread on this within a day or so - especially for people like you :)

I didn't do any translations. I cited authoritative Greek lexicons while you cite your opinion - which doesn't count for much.

#23 Olivencia, May 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
  4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, what is far removed from commands to Christians is your warped theology.

5. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

Thanks for your opinion but I'll stick with the facts.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why is it we never see threads on how a husband should treat his wife?

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No you don't. You ignore verse 7 where the husband is told to love, respect and honor his wife. You are taking isolated verses out of context, and without comparing these verses to the Pauline letters. In essence, you are leaving out the element of love in a marriage, and are looking at the situation as a business deal. You said it all. You stick with facts. The Bible is not a book of facts, it is the Word of the Living God, a book of love, faith and hope. What was the purpose of this thread anyhow?

8. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

Yes I agree with verse 7 but you don't with verse 6. Where have I ever denied it? Nowhere. Facts......facts!
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Amy,

In answer to your question I started a thread attempting to make a balanced approach. This refutes saturneptune's wreckless accusations.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=58941

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

OK, once more, the verses go together. They work together, as do Paul's verses on a husband wife relationship. Why would you or anyone else want to be married to someone where respect and love is a one way street?

10. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

I love and respect my wife. She menas the world to me. I try to take good care of her. I don't mind washing clothes, dishes and sweeping the floors. I give her massages whenever she wants. I am a faithful husband. No drugs, no womanizing, etc. Many men that live here are not like that at all. I spend tons of time with our daughter taking her to the park almost everyday and teaching her about the Lord and really loving her. No I ain't flawless but....well enough said.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

None of us are flawless, which is the whole reason for the Gospel. That is the first post of yours I must agree with. It seems different than your others.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You know what I find very 'curious' (pun intended) about this whole thing?

No where does Scripture say that a man is to teach a woman how to be a wife.

It is unbiblical.

Women are to teach other women how to treat their husbands.

Hmmmm.......

This is why I don't listen to other men on how to be a wife. They are not one, they will never be one and those that teach women how to be a wife are usually the ones who prefer to domineer and put women down. I've seen it before and apparently I'm seeing it again.

13. Doeroftheword

Doeroftheword New Member

I have been reading this thread last night and this morning and I have got a opinion on this matter as I have dealt with this issue and how it has become corrupted by the world.

I do agree with the original poster that it does say that wives are submit to their husbands as Christ did with the church but theres so much more to it then that. Husbands are to submit to Christ as well as He is the head of the household because we worship Him and follow His commands. The problem lies in the understanding of what a man is supposed to do. A mans duty is to make sure that he can take care of the family God gave him by paying the bills and so forth and taking care of the household. He is to be able lead them both spiritually and phisically and emotionally. So does that mean the man can boss the woman around? Of course not because the man has ordinances as well and things He must follow and she has the freedom to say no if He asks her to do something that is a sin. Its her responsibility to support him in his prayer life and support him in his decisions. I hope that makes sense to everyone. I could go on but it would be too big of a post.

God Bless

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How is this permissible? Seriously? Do we have actual moderators around here?

How does this advance the conversation? How does it speak well of others even in the midst of disagreement?

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The main problem here is that one verse does not a doctrine make. You can take 1 Peter 3:6 by itself and build your argument that every wife should call their husband master. If that was the only verse in the Bible that talked about marriage, then it's a conclusion that can be drawn.

However, 1 Peter 3:6 isn't the only verse in the Bible about marriage. And when all that the Bible says about marriage doesn't agree with the conclusion that you've reached about 1 Peter 3:6, then you have a choice to make. Choice A is to ignore the rest of the Bible, focus only on 1 Peter 3:6 because it makes you feel good and powerful to have your wife call you master. Then, because you're justified in your own eyes, you feel that you can smugly tell everybody else that they're wrong and disobedient. Choice B is to say that maybe you've been a bit hasty in drawing your conclusion about 1 Peter 3:6 says.

I'm no Greek scholar, but it doesn't look like there's any argument about what the word "kurious" means. The argument is that Olivencia has built up his command to his wife on one verse and has conveniently ignored what the rest of the Bible has to say because he loves it when his wife calls him master. He has subscribed to what he has laid down as a commandment to follow, but has ignored the spirit of what Peter said. 1 Peter 3:7 says to treat your wife with honor, but I see no honor given to a wife who is forced to call her husband master.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

preachinjesus, the moderators don't read every post on the board. They have to be alerted to it via the report post button. As I missed that particular post, I will now go back and make good use of that button.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Olivia is searching (I trust) for the entire meaning - grammar, context, history - not just listing words and meaning and thinking THAT his face reading would be the entire truth.

The Word of God is complex and to just read and think we know the nuances and depth of truth from surface listing of words is ludicrous

Scarlett, who has brought the words AND context, AND not read preconceived belief systems (falsely) into the text, should be commended. Excellent mateiral.

I would say Scarlett should be thought of like Sarah . . but that would not be a great compliment!

p.s. - let's be careful about using the "moron" word when someone does not agree with us. They may well BE morons, but it does not enhance discussions here.

#37 Dr. Bob, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Olivia is a HE.

Is it permissible to call someone a "maroon"? :laugh:

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry - saw Philippines as home and should have considered that. Mea culpa and certainly no offense meant.

'Maroon' is slang on talk sites like this for 'moron' (like a moron can't spell anyway.) It applies well to some I see here . . . and I don't know if there is any "rule" condemning such.

Will wait for the "short bus" riders to comment. ;);)

:cowboy:

20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :flower: Whew!! I humbly thank you.....I took it as a compliment none-the-less. :flower: