1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Identity of the Two Witnesses of Revelation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by christiang, Oct 12, 2017.

1. christiang

christiang Member

Faith:
    Jewish
  2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that the Two Witnesses are literal, though it is impossible to prove that until Christ returns without them having appeared. This is one of the delights of futurism: you can't be proved wrong until it's too late to worry about it.
    This is my take on the subject:
    Revelation Part 7. The Temple Measured, and the Two Witnesses

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. christiang

christiang Member

Faith:
    Jewish
    And this is precisely why I made this study, because there are many like you who believe they are not literal. Its because of lack of belief that many of you think this passage is figurative, because even though it is obvious this passage is to be taken literally, you find it difficult to believe that this will actually happen, so its easier for you to take this passage as something figurative.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for telling us what Martin believes. That is very helpful for us. It will also be very helpful for him because it seems he doesn't know what he believes and why he believes it, as your statement seems to imply.

How do you do that, by the way? Do you have the gift of mind reading? Do you use a crystal ball or some other arcane talisman to achieve your remarkable understanding of what a man believes and why he believes it, especially when you have never even met the man and are not even on the same continent as the man?

5. christiang

christiang Member

Faith:
    Jewish
    Does not the mouth speak out of the abundance of the heart? [Rule violation edited]

#5 christiang, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017
  6. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because something is not to be taken with a wooden literalism, that doesn't mean that it is not real. Think about Deuteronomy 18:15 and Luke 10:1 and then read Revelation 11 again. It is being fulfilled in our time.

Wooden literalism is the bane of good exegesis. It led Nicodemus to cry out, "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter into his mother's womb a second time and be born?" And the Pharisees to ask, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" And of course you end up with transubstantiation, and people bowing down to a wafer of bread.

7. christiang

christiang Member

Faith:
    Jewish
    Then interpret the meaning of the passage, if it is figurative, such as,

Explain the distinction between the 42 months and 1,260 in that same passage, even though they both equal the same time.
    Explain who the witnesses symbolize and where they had 1,260 days to prophesy.
    Explain how whoever this passage "symbolized" all died in Jerusalem, since the two witnesses die there, and how they would be resurrected 3.5 days later.
    Explain how whoever these witnesses "symbolize" ever had authority to bring plagues on the earth.

Many of you will be quick to say, no its a figure of speech, but never offer a suitable interpretation, whereas I have, its literal. But because of your lack of belief that such men would exist you would rather deny the obvious. But for giggles, let see what you come up with.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I linked to my blog page on the subject in post #2. I assume from your post that you haven't bothered to read it although you expect others to read your blog.

9. christiang

christiang Member

Faith:
    Jewish
    How do you know whether I did or not? I will tell you that you are in error in one of your first statements already,

" Only the seventh trumpet, which represents the Return of Christ and the Final Judgement, is yet to sound."

Not knowing when the seven trumpets of Revelation will be blown relates to not having knowledge and understanding of the Law, which is very common among the Gentiles that are taught by Protestant or Catholic churches, that teach the Law is done away with. Now, why does lawlessness relate to not knowing when the seven trumpets of Revelation will be blown? Because if you had understood the necessity to fulfill the Law, then you would've understood that just as the spring festivals were fulfilled at the first coming of Jesus Christ, so will the autumn festivals of the Law become fulfilled in his second coming, where the Festival of Trumpets of the Law are fulfilled in the blowing of the seven trumpets of Revelations, which happens shortly after the second coming of Jesus Christ, which is apparent in reading the end of the sixth seal of Revelation. I have a study on these matters here, Why the Law Is Not Abolished, Yet Circumcision, Festivals, Sacrifices, Sabbaths, Foods Are No Longer Observed | Wisdom of God and then once you understand shadows of Law, then can you understand the second coming of Christ, The Second Coming, the Trumpet Blasts, the Bowls of Wrath, and Inheriting the Earth | Wisdom of God .