1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The image of God

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Yelsew, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

What specifically is the image of God?

2. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

It appears no one has an opinion, or that no one is convinced enough to be able to declare their understanding of what Image of God means.

So, let me state this: I am a male human being, therefore God must be a male!

I am 6 ft tall, therefore God must be 6 ft tall.

I am white Anglo-Saxon, therefore God must be white Anglo-saxon.

I am a flesh and blood being, therefore God must be a flesh and blood being.

What do you think? Do I have the right idea?

3. russell55

russell55 New Member

The scripture doesn't tell us exactly what being made in God's image means. What things I would come up with to explain it would simply be speculation on my part.

Note as well that it is A&E pre-fall that were made in God's image. I'm sure we post-fall beings retain some form of this image, but it has most certainly been defaced by the fall. Things don't work the same for us as they once did.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From my personal notes on Genesis:

5. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

The Bible tells us that we were made in His image and after His likeness. [James 3:9] I believe that being created in His image means that each of the attributes of God can be found in any human being but in a much, much, lesser degree. For example, God is love, justice, mercy peace, and the One who is longsuffering. What complicates the the problem is that every human being has inherited the Adamic nature which produces our human depravity. Although we have a conscience and have an inner sense that there is a God, we also have the other nature that pulls us away from the living God. In the Garden Adam and Eve enjoyed perfection as God's created being; since the Fall we have a proclivity toward sinning.

6. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Thanks Dr. Berrian, you are accurate. However, I think we need a little broader perspective.

Jesus said,

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Yelsew,

I agree with your expanded version about the 'image of God' in human beings.