The Immortal Soul?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darrell C, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fallen asleep refers to a believer tasting physical death....

2. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Asleep in death - has nothing to do with believer or unbeliever - it is all mankind

But the first resurrection -- the one in 1Thess 4 and Rev 20:4-5 is all about "just believers"

1 Thess 4
    13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

1 Cor 15
    50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable

John 11
    11 After saying these things, he said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him.” 12 The disciples said to him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.” 13 Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep. 14 Then Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus has died,

3. Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, things like that just don't happen, do they? Maybe the afterlife itself is only symbolic, as you know you're to die, just thinking about "where you're going" lets you die 'happy,' so you're eternally happy, as there is no other feeling.

We just can't let an old book written over many centuries by ignorant sheepherders, or their despotic masters, tell us things happened and are gonna happen that ain't. One of the first has to be that people live again-- such an illogical thought! And blood crying out!-- must be Type O, for crying out loud! Doesn't that prove that the 'creation story' is not literal? Creating 33 billion stars per day-- I guess I would need a day's rest, too (and that's only for this galaxy).

Of course, some people can't make up their minds as to whether every incident in the creation story is literal, so they do what just about everybody does... believe it where it supports what they have already made up their minds about, and assign the rest to the concussion section of drum beating and symbols.

4. Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It really does.

God bless.

5. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Asleep in death - has nothing to do with believer or unbeliever - it is all mankind

But the first resurrection -- the one in 1Thess 4 and Rev 20:4-5 is all about "just believers"

1 Thess 4
    13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

1 Cor 15
    50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable

John 11
    11 After saying these things, he said to them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him.” 12 The disciples said to him, “Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover.” 13 Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep. 14 Then Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus has died,

I find your logic "illusive" in view of the clear statement on this doctrine in the texts we see above.

6. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't know what a euphemism is you not only have no idea what the Bible says, but you have no idea what the daily news says.

7. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is a thread on a doctrinal topic .. you knew that right?? insults and false-accusation alone will not cut it here.

1 Thess 4

1 Cor 15

John 11