1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Importance of Exegesis

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#1 Reformed, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The problem I've been seeing, however, is that those who claim to be participating in exegesis are doing anything but. Though I believe formal education isn't necessary for good exegesis, one can't help but realize that the worst interpretations of Scripture usually comes from those with insufficient education in the biblical languages, Christian history, philosophy/logic, biblical content, and critical analysis of Scripture. And to make matters worse, those who don't know better are unable to realize they don't any better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago, when I was helping to evaluate complex machinery, I would conclude this is the problem or that is the problem. Others, more credentialed than myself, would sometimes agree and sometimes disagree. But no matter, if we were right, the "fix" would be appropriate and the "problem" would go away. But if we missed the mark, the problem would recur and we would know we missed. Not so with theology. Reality does not provide a validating feedback loop, at least not this side of heaven. So mistaken doctrines, that do not stand up to exegesis, are seemingly bullet proof, because it always boils down to my scholars are better than your scholars, or in other words an appeal to opinion.

#3 Van, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true to a point. I agree with you and not with James White. :)

The problem with "bias" is it also often skewers the exegesis, so that the exegesis validates the traditions. So in the quote by James White, he is not accurate because he leaves out what you included.

You stated, "...that good exegesis ..." That one word "good" is the determiner.

That is why more often I take your view and thinking above that of James White. You see what he intended to say (imo) and actually put the appropriate wording to the statements.

Good for you! :)