1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The International Mission Board Manual for Field Personnel (MFP)

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Anleifr, Jul 28, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thank the Lord someone did.

;)

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That sounds awsome! We need 100 more churches like that.

3. RandR

RandR New Member

Anleifer,

Keep in mind a couple of things about the manual. As has already been noted here, there are serious security problems with making copies available to any who might be asking.

Further, given the current climate in which a faction of their very own Board of Trustees is undermining adminstrators at every opportunity...I can understand their apprehension about making copies of the manual available for public consumption. Especially to someone in Fort Worth!!

Don't take it personally, and don't let it cause you to question the motives or integrity of IMB adminstrators and staff.

Your seminary president and dean of school of missions are probably the ones to whom to direct your concerns about the narrowing of parameters for cooperation and the exclusion of potential missionaries over non-essentials.

4. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

Keep in mind a couple of things about the manual. As has already been noted here, there are serious security problems with making copies available to any who might be asking.

That is my assumption as well. However, it is odd that they would not state that this is the reason. I can understand that they do not want “foreign entities” having such knowledge (whatever it may be), but that they would not tell anyone that this is the reason.

Again, the “security issue” factor is just speculation and it’s the factor which most gives them the benefit of the doubt. All of the missionaries I know do not even know why it’s not made public. They themselves are not given the manual either.

Further, given the current climate in which a faction of their very own Board of Trustees is undermining adminstrators at every opportunity...I can understand their apprehension about making copies of the manual available for public consumption. Especially to someone in Fort Worth!!

I think you might have hit the nail on the head with that one.

I began to investigate this issue in May but, apparently, others had been doing so since the Fall of 2005.

Of course, in recent years, some SBC leaders have narrowed doctrinal parameters required for SBC missional activity (the 2000 BFM). However, apparently these same SBC leaders have attempted to further narrow the required doctrinal parameters beyond what is expressed in the 2000 BFM. In order to accomplish this, they have used the agency trustee boards to make such doctrinal decisions in the name of setting policy. Of course, the fact that such new parameters go beyond the 2000 BFM has caused many on members on the trustee boards go against these changes (including those members which were hand-picked by the SBC leaders seeking such doctrinal change). Unfortunately, may of these SBC leaders and assenting trustees have neglected trustee board rules in order to accomplish their goals. When these leaders and trustees are called on it, the person who does so is tarred and feathered and attempts are made to remove that trustee from the trustee board (see the Wade Burleson incident). The reaction by these SBC leaders to such dissent in the IMB and on the trustee boards has resulted in greater secrecy and lack of public information with regards to the deliberations and decision making of policies.

I think many IMB employees are caught in the middle of this between SBC leaders who want greater secrecy and those in the SBC who want to find out what is actually going on there.

Don't take it personally, and don't let it cause you to question the motives or integrity of IMB adminstrators and staff.

Oh, I don’t take it personally. I think the IMB administrators and staff are scared. That is why I ceased to pursue the matter with them.

Your seminary president and dean of school of missions are probably the ones to whom to direct your concerns about the narrowing of parameters for cooperation and the exclusion of potential missionaries over non-essentials.

(With sarcasm) Yeah, I’ll go ask them. That would go over real well.

“Tell me: why are you using the trustee boards in order to set doctrinal parameters.”

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Anleifer

Can't you go in and talk with Patterson? I would think that as a president, he would have access to that kind of information. Couldn't you request it as part of a research project for one of your classes?

Just a thought.

Wayne

6. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Is the OPster doing a research project on this?

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Lagardo

That is a good question. I thought he might be with the questions about the head of missions at the seminary, but I don't know.

8. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

"Can't you go in and talk with Patterson? I would think that as a president, he would have access to that kind of information. Couldn't you request it as part of a research project for one of your classes?"

1) No, I cannot.
    2) I'm not doing a research project for one of my classes on that subject.
    3) Ha!

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wellllll

Do you know someone that can go and talk with Patterson?

Ha! was it? Should I know what we are Ha'ing about?

10. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

"Do you know someone that can go and talk with Patterson?"

Yes, but I prefer to not involve myself in this particular episode of institutional bureaucracy and political intrigue.

Once I found out how scared IMB employees are about these issues I decided to lay off it all altogether. I don't want to be a reason why more people get fired.

"Ha! was it? Should I know what we are Ha'ing about?"

It would probably be best if you did not know.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Anleifr

Do you really walk alone? I have found that few actually do. But, if you do - you won't be the first. And I think that places you in good company.

Ha! Back to ya'!

12. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

"Do you really walk alone? I have found that few actually do. But, if you do - you won't be the first. And I think that places you in good company."

I'm not sure what you mean by "walk alone".

Well, if I do "walk alone" and I'm not the first and I am placed in "good company" then I "walk alone" with a lot of other people. Yes, it gets pretty crowded walking alone.

No, I prefer to be different just like everyone else.

Thanks.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ha!

Right back at ya'!

Ha!

Well if ya' want, I could try to find a copy of that there field manual.

14. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

"Well if ya' want, I could try to find a copy of that there field manual."

Nah! No, thank you. I am not going to pursue that rabbit anymore. Anyway, I already have someone from whom I can get a copy.

I just think that too many innocent by-standers (i.e., IMB employees) could get in trouble if I continue to pursude the matter.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Even tho' I think I can understand all of the pregnant meaning in that statement, I will still not even try.

:saint:

16. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

"Even tho' I think I can understand all of the pregnant meaning in that statement, I will still not even try."

Probably the best thing, yes.

17. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Because it contains many protocals for the security of "undercover" missioanaries in closed countires, and if that became public it would - well, you get the picture now.