1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The King James Only Controversy by Dr. James White

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Dale-c, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Have any of you read this book?
    I have found it to be very interesting.

2. readmore

readmore New Member

I have... Good book. I bought that along with Dr. Stauffer's One Book Stands Alone when I decided to investigate my KJVO beliefs. After reading both books, I began the long path away from KJVOnlyism.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

It's not a history book but I learned as much about the history of the Bible through reading this volume as I have learned from any other source.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That would be my experience as well.

5. readmore

readmore New Member

If you're interested in Bible history, try From God to Us by Norm Geisler.

Amazon Link

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

This is probably Whites' best work in print.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and I loved it. :thumbs: :thumbs:

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's probably White's best known book and it has sold well . I appreciate it very much ( from what I remember of it ) . I "loaned"it to a KJVO a couple of years ago , and haven't been able to track him down yet .

White was an advisor to the NASBU . For a Reformed Baptist he actually said nice things about the NIV . Most Calvinists don't say nice things about the NIV.I say that even though a couple of conservative Reformed Churches use the NIV .I suspect that they are in the minority. It would be interesting to take surveys of NIV-using (or even TNIV-using) churches which are biblically conservative . Detailed questions could be poised.Calvinistic Churches which use other versions such as the NASBU,ESV,NKJ or KJV should be in on the poll . I think the NIV crowd would do rather well in comparison to the others.

I digress . Back to James White . I think "The Potter's Freedom" is a classic . Now that's what it's all about !

"Letters To A Mormon Elder" is quite instructive. You may be surprised at the depth of biblical doctrine contained therein.

In the same vein: "Is The Mormon My Brother".

Some books of his that I wish I had :"The Roman Catholic Controversy";"The Forgotten Trinity";and "Drawn By The Father".

I met James White once when he delivered a lecture regarding the dangers of Islam. That guy really knows his stuff . His breadth of knowledge is rather extensive .

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This is probably next on my list to buy from him.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Have you read David Sorenson's book, "Touch not the Unclean Thing"? If so, what do you think of it in comparison to White's book?

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Yes, I read it. I do not recommend it for anyone because of many false comments in this book.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Please enlighten us.

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I read it. Good book!

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Yes, I read it. Good book.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just got the book and so far so good! VERY easy to understand for a non-scholar like me thus far and I've been able to clarify a few things in my head. I'm really enjoying it. :)

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Dr. White said on his program The Dividing Line that it intended it to be an intro to textual criticism.
    I think he did a great job of making it understandable for laymen without dumbing down anything.

17. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

By saying that it contains false comments you are accusing a brother in Christ of dishonesty.
    If the accusation is true and you document it, then you are justified but without such an explanation your post is merely false witness.

I have the book so I can look things up.
    Please give me the page numbers where the false comments are and I will look them up.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. There's definitely meat in there but it's such that I can understand it without having to quiet the kids and spend an inordinate amount of time concentrating on it. LOL The kids will do that to you - make your mind mush! But even with the distractions, I can come back and re-read a paragraph and understand it right off without having to go back and restudy what I've read before. I like this book a lot.

19. kubel

kubel New Member

I have the book, and I have found it very helpful. It's definitely a recommended read for anyone interested in the topic.

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Dishonest? NO! Look at the link that I provide you: http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/examining01.htm David Cloud answered concerning that book. Please read "EXAMINING "THE KING JAMES ONLY CONTROVERSY" on ALL 4 pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.