1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Last Church or the Church of the Last Days

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think the Seventh Day Adventists have a point!

There are many different approaches to the interpretation of the 'seven churches' of Revelation. I have read on a few, and each seem to have a little bit of truth here or there. Few have relevancy anywhere!

That's why I think the 'eras-interpretation' like the Seventh Day Adventists hold, merit second thought! It has relevancy!

According to this approach, each 'Church' (referred to in the 'seven letters to the Churches') represents a section of history in chronological order (or disorder, if you want).
    The character of the last church - of Laodecea - especially, is so characteristic of our own age which I believe is the latest possible hour in earth's history, that it is impossible not to notice the resemblance.

Luke-warmness and egotism are the order of the day and mark every aspect of the Christianity of our time. The Church thinks NOTHING of the Scriptures; it changes it wherever needed to suit its own liking and comfort. Conformity is Law; Unity, God.
    There is no fear of God left, no respect or love for His Word. Arrogance places the bed of spiritual wantonness and indulgence. NO DISCOMFORT SHALL BE TOLERATED, NO INTERFERENCE WITH OUR HARLOTRY!

That is how I see the Christian Church - 'Christianity' - at large, today, and I believe, justifiably!

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Many fundamental baptists also hold to this view.

At one time I would have held to this view strongly, but am not so sure now.

#2 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The better interpretation is that since all seven churches existed at one time in the first century, the same kinds of churches exist today.

There are Laodicea-type churches in the world today, but there are also Philadephia churches, Smyrna kinds of churches, etc.

The SDA version is the kind of mischief one can get into when one tries to put a label on "the church" as a universal entity. There are only local churches.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How does God look upon the 'local churches'? As 'local', or, as 'universal Church' of His?

I may be wrong, but I have come to the point in my life, where I think God does not view the Church either 'locally' or, 'universally'. I think God only has eyes for individuals: God knows who are His, Paul said, and that fact, if I remember right, Paul made the very foundation of salvation. I'll have to go read that Scripture again; but I can recall the great comfort it gave me.

5. grace56

grace56 New Member

Dosn't Paul say in 1 TIm 3:15 "the Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth". He doesn't say each individual is a seperate truth.

Grace56

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The universal church is the body of believers in Christ.

The universal church is also the bride of Christ.

Christ is head of the church.

Go to http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/ and do a search on "church" in the NT. A lot comes up! Here are just 2:

He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything. Col 1.18

that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. Eph 5.27

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE
    Ja, That was true of the Church in Paul's day. You want to say it still is? I bet you won't.

It is one of my heaviest crosses that I so passionately believe The Church the Body of Christ's Own! How is it I cannot fit in? I turn to the right, to the left, the Church leaves me in the lurch; it gives me the cold shoulder; it closes its doors in my face; yet I believe these are they that are Christ's. The fault must lie with me? I shall not deny my believing the Church, so help me God, despite I am engaged in battle with the Church --- exactly for believing so strongly in it.

It's doctrine that causes the problem. Doctrine and being the Church -- there is it! And it's not doctrine; it is the Scriptures; because there is no 'doctrine' that does not claim to be based on the Scriptures. Back to where I started and always end up.

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marcia:
    "that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. Eph 5.27"

GE:
    See the enigma? WHERE IS THIS CHURCH THIS DAY? This very text implies it exists NOT. It exists not because this text sees this Church ONLY when God will present to Himself the Church "In all her Glory". Is it the Church in all her glory what we find today? I would rather say, the Church in all her miserable worst. So how can one live in peace with the Church of our own age? I one can, one must already have compromised.

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The church at ease with itself is feasting at the table of the devil and his companions, unfit for the marriage feast of the Lamb. Friend, how have you entered in?

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I choose to believe God's word. Even though we see many faults in the church, that is because people are in the church and people certainly are not perfect. I believe that when Jesus comes for his bride, the church will then be seen "in all her glory." God makes it that way.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not sure if you are asking me a question and if so, what you are asking.

How did I enter in the church? By becoming a believer, that's how.

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    It's my rhetorical question put to the Church. It's not only you and me posting, is it? (That's my question I put to you.)