1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the LAW

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by donnA, May 23, 2008.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I am not advocating keeping the law. As the Word says, Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
    Is trying to keep the commandments such a bad thing? The way some have jumped on it you would think that I have suggested that they do a bad thing.
    Is having no other gods before the LORD GOD a bad thing?
    Is not making a graven image to worship a bad thing?
    Is not taking the Name of the Lord in vain a bad thing?
    Is keeping the Sabbath a bad thing?
    Is honoring you mother and father a bad thing?
    Is not killing someone a bad thing?
    Is not committing adultery a bad thing?
    Is not stealing a bad thing?
    Is not bearing false witness a bad thing?
    Is not coveting a bad thing?

Are these ten things too hard for any of you to do? Is it a bad thing to try to keep the Ten Commandments?

Jesus said, Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

If He thought they were worthy to keep should not we consider them important? I am not being legalistic. I know of the two commandments of Christ, having already referenced them in a previous post. Some people on the board get all worked up over a non-issue and try to make a mountain out of a mole hill. :(

#21 Cutter, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but simply saying that the 10 commandments were part of OT law. They were for Israel only. That doesn't mean that if we keep them, it is a bad thing. But it seem Christians, who are under the law of grace want to retain the part of the law of the 10 commandments. Those commandments went much farther than what we see as Christians.
    For example, the Sabbath. Christians think this commandment means go to church on Sundays. But the true law involves much more than that. The Sabbath was on Saturday (from sundown on Friday until sunrise on Sunday), no work could be done, including lighting a fire to cook meals. You could not leave your home. Anyone who broke the Sabbath law was to be put to death. If you are going to say that we should obey the 10 commandments, you are going to have obey ALL of it.
    But Christians will say that we should obey the 10 commandments (which were given to Israel only), and at the same time, pick and choose what part of the law we should obey.

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

It doesn't matter if you think keeping those aren't a bad thing(and it isn't a bad thing), but they aren't for us and never were. It matters not what you think but what the Bible says. The 10 commandments were never for Christians and ought not be taught as such, no matter how good it sounds.

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

As I once heard a very well educated person say, "True dat." :thumbs:

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

OK. You guys win. I never should have suggested it is a good thing to strive to keep the Ten Commandments. My bad, I hope you can forgive me.
    Pray that God will forgive me, too, for having the audacity to think such, much less say it.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Actually Cutter, I still don't believe you have the point that is being presented.

When you say you strive to keep the commandments, and I'm sure you do, what is occuring is a superficial keeping of the commandments. Now don't offended, I'm not implying that you are superficial.

Let's go back to Amy's illustration of keeping the Sabbath. Does your wife(mom, MIL) cook Sunday dinner? Then she has broken this commandment, probably very frequently. My grandmother broke it every chance she had.

Why do I say she broke it? Because cooking wasn't allowed on the Sabbath by those of the OT and early NT. Food was prepared the day before and eaten cold. There are Jews to this day that still practice this.

So saying that we Christians are keeping the Sabbath, means a very different thing to a Jew.

We keep it barely. We go to church/temple, we try not to work(or mow grass or go fishing) and so forth. But Mama cooks dinner and Daddy runs down to the local market to buy more eggs for her.

So when someone, as in the other thread, complains that we don't love God enough or we wouldn't allow our women to wear pants and then point to Jewish law as God's commandment to us, do they have a valid point or are they not understanding the importance of what Christ did for us? Do we have liberty in Christ or are we bound to OT Jewish law?

This is not really about which laws are required by every Christian, but rather why do we often times pick out one issue(pants, alcohol, what brand of car to buy, how to invest your money) of the group and then claim that it is a sign that others must not "love God" if they don't agree to go along.

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Amen..:jesus: :godisgood:

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh Cutter, don't take your toys and go home. :laugh:

This is a discussion board. We're just discussing.

MK's post is spot on! :thumbs:

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Jews had a lot of rules and regulations that they actually did not always keep in an effort to reach God. The NT teaches that they fall short of having a relationship with God. Paul kept the law and did not have a relationship with God through the law.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

When one advocates keeping the law, they are bound to keep all the law.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Dead right. You can't pick and choose which parts of the Law we have to oeby and which parts we can ignore. All or none.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

C4K and DonnA have nailed it, exactly.

The law is an absolute "all or nothing" proposition. (Jas. 2:8-10)
    BTW, the context of the first part of that chapter deals with clothing in the church assembly. (Can anyone say women "wearing pants vis-à-vis dresses", here? How about the men "wearing pants", even, since both men and women wore 'robes' and 'cloaks' in that day? I can virtually assure you, I will see neither any men, nor any women in cloaks and robes in church, this AM.)

Ed