1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The lessor of two evils

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Judith, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that most of the church has now crossed the line into what could be called the Laodicean age. So many have lost sight of our calling and now seek things of the flesh. We are seeing it so clearly this election.

In the primary we had the ability to support a Christian conservative, Ted Cruz, but instead many who claim to be Christian chose a godless liberal.

Now we are faced with two major candidates who are both morally deficient. Yes one is worst than the other and some try and justify their rejection of God by claiming the lessor of two evil idea but it does not change the fact that to do so we still reject God.

Let me say up front I support and cherish the freedom of religion, the right to bear arms, although that one is already gone, freedom of speech, as well as all of our freedoms, However those freedoms and rights are not my calling as a Christian.

My calling is to be faithful to Christ Jesus and not bring any dishonor on His name. That is impossible when we support evil even if it is the lessor of two. So many have forgot that we are not in a war against flesh and blood, but we are in a spiritual war and it must be fought spiritually. That means even when all seems to be lost we must stand for the Name of the Lord and not support evil regardless the consequences. I would remind everyone of Daniel.

Here is a link to an article that explains it better than I, but I would remind everyone that it is impossible to sleep with dogs and not get fleas.
    https://extranewsfeed.com/an-open-letter-to-the-religious-right-44fa0b4cd6c7#.qfea3z3i3

#1 Judith, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you. This election has destroyed the testimony of the Christian Right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Christian right" destroyed its credibility long ago when it agreed to be a wholly owned subsidiary of the Republican Party. This election only showed how bad a bargain it made.

4. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in the minority on this site, but I don't believe we're told in scripture to control the government. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing for a Christian to run for office with good intention, and that doesn't mean we should make bad choices when we have the ability to have a say in our government. I do think that means there is room for different political ideologies.

I do think this election shows how gullible the general voting population is. The religious right will elect someone based on what they promise rather than what their records and attitude shows. Though, that is true of the left as well. You'd think people would think twice this year, but...

5. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm a conservative Christian but I supported Trump in the primary. I don't think he has the best soteriology (he may not be a Christian), but I felt his policies lined up with God's purposes better than the other candidates (protect the innocent, punish evil, Rom. 13, 1Pet. 2). Reminds me a lot of Reagan—divorced Hollywood actor, etc. Probably wasn't a Christian, but Christians at the time recognized his policies were more righteous that Carters.

I was also very concerned about Cruz's testimony. The cheating in Iowa was the deal breaker for me, and also his going after Trump's wife. Many don't realize Cruz drew first blood on that. The media would have torn him to pieces.

Cruz was also mixed up with some very bad groups—Word of Faith and Dominion theology. Many believe these groups are cults and the media would have destroyed him on that also.

We have a good candidate in Trump. We all need to get behind him if we care about the Supreme Court.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Do you remember the Reagan Carter election? Same arguments were made against Reagan. Flip flopped on abortion. He had supported abortion and divorce legislation in California as governor. And he himself was a divorced, Hollywood actor. And a democrat. And his opponent was a born again Southern Baptist Sunday School teacher. The arguments back then were much like today.

But the church in the 80s understood that policy was king. Reagan's policies were far more righteous that Carter's and thank God they understood that. Reagan was responsible for 2 great SC picks and 2 good ones. Carter would have been a disaster on the Supreme Court. The world would be vastly different if he prevailed.

I only pray the Church today as the wisdom of the Church in the 80s. Trump is a good choice. Don't base your vote on perfection, base in direction. Trump is going in the right direction, just as Reagan was in the 80s.

7. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just a twinkle in my mother's eye when Reagan was President, so I don't remember anything about it, no. (I of course did learn about Reagan in high school and have read speeches by him and his autobiography, so I'm not entirely ignorant.)

I'm not going to guilt anyone into voting one way or the other, I would consider that degrading toward democracy and freedom of thought. For myself I believe there is more at stake than just abortion. I'm not going to vote for someone who has policies I oppose just because they have one policy I agree with.

I do remain unconvinced that Trump is honest. And when it comes to Reagen, he had political experience and history. Trump does not.

#7 evenifigoalone, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Calminian

Site Supporter

I don't guilt people over many things. But indifference to murder is definitely guilt worthy. If we Christians turn outr backs on the innocent and helpless, what hope do they have?

And Reagan did have history—history as a democrat supporting liberal causes. A history of supporting abortion. History of supporting divorce legislation. But he got on the right path, and was a great president. It looks like Trump is on a good path also. I'm concerned about direction, not perfection.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hadn't meant the guilt statement to be directed at you or anyone, apologies. I was just saying I'm not going to get upset if someone supports a candidate I do not. (Also partially in reply to someone else, as I thought this was a different thread.)

I'm aware of this. I am unconvinced that Trump is on any path I wish to endorse. Even if I were still conservative I would not wish to endorse him.

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    From a Christian perspective, how was Reagan on the right path? Just curious.

11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not Cal, but Reagan was a life-long Presbyterian and while in the Los Angeles area he was a faithful attender of Bel-Air Presbyterian Church. He also was a friend of J. Vernon McGee who he described as the best bible teacher of the 20th century.

He had a good salvation testimony and was known to preach at some of his speeches.

http://www.imabelieverpin.com/ronald-reagan.htm

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was not the question. What policies did Reagan pursue that were "Christian"? BTW: He was not a lifelong Presbyterian. He was baptized in a Disciples of Christ church, which seemed to have informed his later life whatever church he joined (and admitting that you can find just about anything in a Presbyterian church, much like as in a Baptist church).

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He wasn't. In fact,much of what Reagan did ran contrary to proclaiming the Good News to the poor or setting the oppressed free.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reagan's mother was a Presbyterian and raised Ronald to be the same. He was told by a local Disciples of Christ church leader of a scholarship he could earn that would pay his tuition to Eureka College in Eureka, Illinois. Eureka College was affiliated with the Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, and in order to take advantage of the scholarship he had to submit to baptism by the Disciples of Christ. He did so when he was 11, worked very hard and earned the scholarship. But after graduation he never had contact with them again. He went back to being a Presbyterian. I grew up about 15 miles from where he grew up and used to swim in the Rock River at Lowell Park where he had worked as a life guard. :)

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the time, Reagan was unusual in his opposition to racial discrimination, and recalled a time in Dixon when the local inn would not allow black people to stay there. Reagan brought them back to his house, where his mother invited them to stay the night and have breakfast the next morning.

16. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, she was an enthusiastic member of the Disciples of Christ and taught Sunday School at the church (among other things) and had a reputation as a faith healer. Where do you get that she was a Presbyterian?

None of this, of course, answers the question I asked. What policies of the Reagan administration were especially "Christian"?

17. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ted Cruz, was/is s fraud. With a Bible in one hand, he played dirty tricks and violated election laws in nearly every primary. As Scripture commands us to do our best to get along with others, he gets along with none of his fellow Senators, both Christian and non-Christian. I think we have had enough experience with Presidents from Texas with LBJ and two Bushes. As far as I am concerned Cruz used the name of Christ and Scripture to garner votes.

What quality of nominees do you expect? This country not only sins against the Lord, we rub His nose in our sin by making abortion and same sex marriage the law of the land. He has blessed our nation more than any other in human history. We have the exact nominees we deserve. Your calling as all of ours is loyalty to Jesus Christ. Your argument about the lesser of two evils rings hallow, since we are all evil and sin after salvation. All does not seem lost to me. God ordains human history, and the two running is exactly who He wants. Whoever wins November 8, that is exactly who God wanted in the office of the President. Nothing seems lost to me, I will vote for the best person who I think is better for this nation. Did it ever dawn on you Trump is such a wild card might be the exact person the Lord molds as he grows in office.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Ronald Reagan was born and raised in Tampico, Illinois. His father was of Irish Catholic descent and is said to have been a believer, but his mother’s devotion to her Presbyterian faith overpowered the household, and Reagan identified with being Presbyterian his whole life.1" (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-01-31-column31_ST_N.htm)

While in office in DC he and Nancy were faithful attenders at the National Presbyterian Church, pastored by his friend, Louis Evans. (Dr. Paul Kengor, professor of political science and executive director of The Center for Vision & Values at Grove City College. Author, 11 Principles of a Reagan Conservative, The Communist: Frank Marshall Davis, The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mentor and Dupes: How America’s Adversaries Have Manipulated Progressives for a Century.)

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The lengths liberals will go to to try and tear down Reagan is astounding.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to hear about these election law violations that Cruz engaged in. Please tell.

Apparently this command does not apply to non-Trump supporters on Baptist Board.

What does the state of one's residency have to do with the quality of the President? This is pure discrimination based on geography.

Uh-huh. But Trump isn't doing that, oh no, not at all...

Yep, so lesser of two evils it is then. Just like when you voted for McCain and Romney. Anybody with an R after their name is good enough for you.

Did it ever occur to you that your statement could be just as valid by replacing Trump's name with Hillary Clinton?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.