1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The limitations of free will.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

So then what is your new meaning of this verse:

Matthew 22:14
    “For many are called, but few [are] chosen.”

Are there chosen among the saved? What are they chosen for if they are already saved?

2. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi Grasshopper

You said.......
    Another good question, that I am glad you asked.

I would say, that the few that are chosen, are “disciples” :
    Since few Christians “fulfill” the qualifications of a disciple!

3. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

So God only chooses certain people to be disciples?

Ever heard of Chinese Finger cuffs?

Finger cuffs is a gag toy used to play a practical joke on children and unsuspecting adults. The finger trap is a simple puzzle that traps the victim's fingers (often the index fingers) in both ends of a small, woven bamboo cylinder. The initial reaction of the victim is to pull the fingers outward, but this only tightens the trap more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap

4. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Good morning Grasshopper

You asked.......
    “So God only chooses certain people to be disciples?”

Of course: Certain Christians that is.
    God wouldn’t choose some half hearted backslider, to be a disciple; Would He.
    --------------------------------------------------
    The qualifications alone, make it clear that not all Christians are going to be disciples....
    Luke 14:26-27
    V.26 If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
    V.27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

5. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Wow, the lengths some will go to deny God's Sovereign choice.

Interesting you don't think it is the mission of the Church to make disciples of all believers.

6. Hawkins

Hawkins New Member

To me, if everyone is saved the term 'Elect' becomes a dummy. Perhaps the term 'wicked' is also a dummy. The covenant itself may also be a dummy, as whether you abide by it you shall be saved anyway. And even the Book of Life is a dummy as it may not be necessary for the names of those saved to be written down, everyone is saved anyway.

Sometimes 'all' is used to describe God's people, that is, God's Elect instead of all humans. 'All of us are His lost sheep' is an accurate statement though the 'all' here doesn't mean all humans but only Christians as His Elect.

Matthew 24:24
    For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible.

Mark 13:20
    If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.

It is apparant that the term Elect doesn't mean everyone. If you say that everyone is saved, I am afraid that you have to twist His Word to conclude that Elect = all humans.

#26 Hawkins, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  7. Joseph shall add

All men are elected for salvation, salvation was purchased for all. It is not God will that one should perious, the issue of elections has confused many. God has provided the same answer to all men in the person of Jesus Christ. But God will not force a person to get saved. He may be leading you to salvation or drawning you toward Christ. But that is not interfering with freewill. You can lead a horse to a well but he has to drink of his own will and desire. No were in the bible is God shown violating the free will of man.
    The interesting thing about humans is we worship Christ and Father God with out seeing them and as free willed persons. Unlike the angles who see God and worship for what they see. We see not and worship because of Gods goodness and because of the Gift of Christ. Which is a form of exaltation a higher form of worship becasue of the free will aspect of man. Were angles have no free will per say.
    But to be truthful after a person is annointed they better keep there station and submit to the Lords will. God can still send a person to hell after salvation if they keep disobeying. Sometimes people do not get into the promise land because of anger. In our case the promise land is heaven. So best to be asking God to search your heart and lead you to repentance over matters that offend him.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Out of curiosity, I checked out your home church's website. The doctrinal statement is quite orthodox Baptist, and your pastor appears to be, as well. Does your pastor know you believe this stuff? If I were your pastor I wouldn't let you get anywhere near any kind of teaching responsibility.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

I second that statement, and there are a few more 'indepth' questions I would begin asking as well.

#29 Allan, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2010
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have twisted the converse of that statement and made it equally true. It is not. It is simply stating the glorified ones were justified, called and predestined to be such. The converse and inverse of an immutable truth statement are not automatically equally immutable truth.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

+3. Can someone tell me what "getting there station" means :confused: Does it mean we need TBN?

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

:laugh:
    He said 'KEEP their station' - as in:
    IOW- Watch what you do or the 'believer' might just end up in Hell.