1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Limitations Of HIstorical Study

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Mark Osgatharp, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

You fellows remind me of an incident that happened several years ago in the messenger body of the American Baptist Association. An issue came up for discussion - I don't even remember what it was now - that had been discussed and voted on in the previous year's session.

One pastor stood up and something to the effect that,

"We sought the leadership of the Holy Spirit and prayed about this last year, and voted on the matter last year, and that should be the end of it."

I guess he thought the vote of the American Baptist Association messenger body constituted the oracles of God, just like some people think the vote of the North African Catholic pastor's conference constitutes the oracles of God.

Dear God, deliver us from all such ungodly attempts to usurp the authority of your Holy Word!

Mark Osgatharp

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Doubting Thomas,

Uh, let me venture a guess..... [​IMG] .....because the Council of Carthage said so!

LOL [​IMG] HEHEHE :D HOHOHO ;)

Question: Do you believe that the Council of Carthage was correct when it declared the books of Judith, Tobit, and the Maccabees to be the inspired word of God?

Mark Osgatharp
    </font>[/QUOTE]Matt, notice also that when some folks can't answer how they know that a specific book is in fact inspired (other than the fact it happens to be in the leatherbound Bible in their hand) they resort to evasion. :D

Somebody determined which books were inspired and which were not. Somebody collected the truly inspired apostolic books in the Bible to distinguish the authentic Word of God from the spurious claimants. Both these processes were done despite having no divinely inspired table of contents. It seems that some people will refuse to give any credit to the ones that made these decisions despite the fact that the specific collection of books in their hands was a result of those same decisions.

3. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

Sola Scriptura in the most rigid of senses is impossible! We must have the tradition of the church (note please this includes history--however you want to describe it Mark) in order to define the canon and come to a proper interpretation of that canon.

I have no problem with being called a catholic ("general") baptist, so bring it on!

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

4. Mark Osgatharp

Are you going to answer this question, DoubtingThomas?

Mark Osgatharp

5. Doubting Thomas

Mark Osgatharp
    </font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps if you answer the ones I asked first.

6. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp
    </font>[/QUOTE]Perhaps if you answer the ones I asked first.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I wasn't aware that I had failed to answer any of your questions.

Mark Osgatharp

7. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Excellent Danny! [​IMG] One of the majors problems with Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy is making scripture and tradition equal. One of the major problems with many Baptists is a total rejection of tradition (accept for those who accept the Trail of Blood or John Christian :D ) While tradition is not equal with scripture it is not irrelevant either. I think the Church of England had a better balance on this than most Protestant bodies. I have no problems being called a Evangelical Catholic or a Catholic Baptist. Too often Baptists give in to the RCC and assume the Church Fathers are the property of the Papacy. The Church Fathers are the heritage of all Christians.

8. Mark Osgatharp

Unanswered Questions:

1. Was the warning of Christ against all who rejected the book of Revelation effective before the Council of Carthage in 397 AD?

2. Was the Council of Carthage correct in it's assertion that the books of Tobit, Judith, and the Macabbes belong in the Old Testament canon of Scriptures?

Mark Osgatharp

9. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I think that has been answered. YES! But you assume all Christians knew there were 27 books of the New Testament. They didn't! The fact is Revelation was accepted at the Council. There were debates about it because of lack of knowledge of all the books...I mean they didn't have the internet, or Nelson or Zondervan New Testaments to help them.

No it was not correct. Jerome opposed it's inclusion but was over ruled. No one is claiming Carthage was infallible. The Apocrypha books are great literature, especially 1 and 2nd Macabbees, Tobit. Interesting among the Protestant Reformers, many of the Anabaptists (And not the heretical ones) accepted the Apocrypha as Scripture and some still do and if you read some old Anabaptist sermons you will find them freely quoting from it. Even the protestant forerunners, the Waldenses quoted from the Apocrypha though it is uncertain if they viewed them as Canon or held them strictly to be good devotional literature like the later Anglican Church and 1611 KJV did. I personaly don't think the Apocrypha contradicts any Bible doctrine but the books are just not inspired. 1 and 2nd Maccabees however provide a vital link of history between the time of Malachi and the Gospels that should be taught in Church but only as history but not as scripture. So yes, Mark they were wrong and made a mistake but Luther and the Protestant Reformers corrected their mistake 1100 years later. Aren't you glad? [​IMG]

By the way do you agree that the Council of Carthage were right on the 27 New Testament books?

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post, Kiffin.

11. Mark Osgatharp

The facts are:

1. There were those who accepted the Revelation before the Council of Carthage.

2. There were those who continued to reject the Revelation after the Council of Carthage.

3. The Lord held every man accountable for his rejection of the Revelation from the moment it was issued, which must mean that mean had the capacity to discern the truth thereof before the Council of Carthage, yes, from the moment the book went forth.

4. Therefore, the Council of Carthage proved nothing other than the opinion of the men involved in it, which was correct on some counts and wrong on others.

No it was not correct.</font>[/QUOTE]This is so laughable it would be funny were it not so serious. Here you castigate me because I disregard the Council of Carthage and their opinion about the New Testament canon, and yet you think they were wrong about the Old Testament canon. Now how, for Pete's sake, am I supposed to respond to such ridiculous reasoning?

Yes, and I also believe that the Roman Catholic Church, the Greek Orthodox Church, the Campbellite churches, the Mormon Church, the Holy Roller churches, the Jehovah's Witnesses et al are right about the 27 New Testament books. That doesn't mean that I believe the 27 books are right because those churches believe it, nor that I respect the authority of those churches, any more than I respect any imagined authority of the Council of Carthage.

Neither does it mean that I think that the Lord failed to assuredly inform any of His churches as to the authentic books of Scripture before the Council of Carthage.

Mark Osgatharp

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    To return to the original point of the thread ...

Mark, your outlook seems to me to be ahistorical. You reach conclusions from theology, then assume a historical record in congruence with it. That's fine, and you're welcome to it, but it's not history. Hagiography perhaps, but not history.

No one has said the historical record is complete. But that's the way it is and we deal with what we find.

The canon is a perfect example. There is no record of the early church recognizing what you consider to be the complete canon. Yet it must have, because your theology assumes it, even though there is no scriptural or historical evidence for it.

You may be right, of course, but we mortals are left to try to make sense of the process with the poor skills we have been given.

And it has nothing to do with lack of faith.

13. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think I have already answered these, but here goes:-

1 Yes, because it is canonical. BUT, just because a work allegedly contains an anathema purporting to be Jesus', does not make it canonical

2. No. I have already given my reason for that, namely that Carthage was about the NT not the OT, which had already been settled. You were unhappy with my explanation and that is entirely a matter for you

You still haven't proposed an alternative method of how the canon was determined, other than by implication the 'Book of Mormon' method I described in my last post. So, I ask again: How do you say the canon was determined?

Yours in Christ

Matt

14. Doubting Thomas

You still haven't proposed an alternative method of how the canon was determined, other than by implication the 'Book of Mormon' method I described in my last post. So, I ask again: How do you say the canon was determined?

Yours in Christ

Matt </font>[/QUOTE]I've been waiting for that too, but I don't think we should hold our breath expecting an answer. [​IMG]

15. Mark Osgatharp

1 Yes, because it is canonical.</font>[/QUOTE].

Then you acknowledge that it was canonical before the Council of Carthage so that council becomes irrelevant so far as determining what books are canonical.

No, it does not, and neither does the fact that some Council of Catholic bishops declares a book to be canonical make it so. You acknowledge this very truth in your answer to the next question.

No. I have already given my reason for that, namely that Carthage was about the NT not the OT, which had already been settled. You were unhappy with my explanation and that is entirely a matter for you.</font>[/QUOTE]Oh, I was very happy with your answer because it made it obvious how ridiculous your argument is. How can the Council of Carthage be trusted as a guide to canon of the New Testament if it was not correct in regard to the canon of the Old Testament?

The canon was determined by Jesus Christ when He sent forth the Apostles as prophets of the New Testament. It is the work of God to lead an individual to faith in the words of His prophets. Therefore any attempt to prove their authenticy is an exercise in futility - whether it be by the Council of Carthage or any other individual or council.

As to when these books were first gathered into one, I do not know and have no need to know.

Mark Osgatharp

16. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1 Yes, because it is canonical.</font>[/QUOTE].

Then you acknowledge that it was canonical before the Council of Carthage so that council becomes irrelevant so far as determining what books are canonical.

Matt: Yes it is, for without Carthage we wouldnt know it was canonical

No, it does not, and neither does the fact that some Council of Catholic bishops declares a book to be canonical make it so. You acknowledge this very truth in your answer to the next question.

Wrong! Your suggestion implies that you or I could sit down and write a 'book' purporting to contain the words of Jesus which pronounces as anathema any who doubt that it is the Word of God; this is the classic manipulatve technique of the religious charlatan. Hmm...the more we go on, the more parallels with Joseph Smith emerge....

No. I have already given my reason for that, namely that Carthage was about the NT not the OT, which had already been settled. You were unhappy with my explanation and that is entirely a matter for you.</font>[/QUOTE]Oh, I was very happy with your answer because it made it obvious how ridiculous your argument is. How can the Council of Carthage be trusted as a guide to canon of the New Testament if it was not correct in regard to the canon of the Old Testament?

Matt: because the OT had already been ruled upon; the NT had not - unless you know of an earlier ruling

The canon was determined by Jesus Christ when He sent forth the Apostles as prophets of the New Testament.

Matt: so Jesus said that the NT contains 27 books and then proceeded to list them? That's strange, because my NT doesn't say that; you obviously have a version I don't?

It is the work of God to lead an individual to faith in the words of His prophets. Therefore any attempt to prove their authenticy is an exercise in futility - whether it be by the Council of Carthage or any other individual or council.

As to when these books were first gathered into one, I do not know and have no need to know.

Mark Osgatharp
    </font>[/QUOTE]Matt: Really??? So you're perfectly happy to trust the publisher of your Bible that he's got it right

Yours in Christ

Matt

17. Mark Osgatharp

Matt: Yes it is, for without Carthage we wouldnt know it was canonical</font>[/QUOTE]Matt,

You are not making sense. On the one hand you say that men knew the Revelation was canonical before the Council of Carthage and then you turn right around and say we wouldn't know it was canonical without the Council of Carthage. That isn't logical.

I think you need to return to your orginal assertion that the warning of Revelation was of no effect before the Council of Carthage. At least then you were being consistent.

Mark Osgatharp

18. Mark Osgatharp

Matt,

I put no more trust in the publishers than you. For you must trust that the publishers are giving you a correct rendition of the Council of Carthage and of the content of the books declared by the Council of Carthage to be canonical.

I also find it amusing that you would lecture me about trusting Bible publishers when you put your all your New Testament stock in the declarations of a council whose judgment you reject when it comes to the Old Testament.

Mark Osgatharp

19. Doubting Thomas

Then, the question remains how do you know that the collection of 66 books found in your Bible is the correct one? Why isn't the Bible that has the "Deuterocanonicals" the one that has the correct collection? How do you know that Jesus didn't mean for the "Deuterocanonicals" to be included, and that you are subtracting from God's Word? (Indeed, these books were uniformly regarded as Scripture by the Christians during the first few centuries of the Church.) How do you know you are right other than your own subjective preference?

20. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Everyone agrees on that

Some but the 27 book Canon was never seriously challenged by any Church council or Church since then.

Of course they had the ability to discern but not everyone had heard of the book or were certain it was wrote by an Apostle. Even the Bereans, scripture says investigated Paul teachings to make sure in lined up with overall scripture and he complimented them on it.

I thought being a good Landmarker you had more respect for Church authority than that Mark. ;) If the Council of Carthage had rejected some of the 27 books or received others in those 27 would remain the Word of God. Of course your KJV Bible might have the Shephard of Hermes, Didache, 1 and 2nd Clement in it also. :eek: Even though they were wrong on the Apocrypha that was corrected by the Protestant Reformation showing God is sovereign.

Mark, it is no myth that the Canon was not settled until the Council of Carthage. In a real sense there was no official set Canon as far as Christians were concerned until AD 397. This is proven by the fact that between the 2nd and 4th century there were found differant Canons in Christian churches and most Churches and Christians only had portions of the New Testament.

So you think Christ has not empowered his Churches with any Authority? Do you have any respect for the Jerusalem Council in the book of Acts or was that just mere opinion. That is a revelation coming from a Landmarker since Christ authority is given to His Churches. Of course Church councils make mistakes but Church councils are not irrelevant.

I think Athanasius Canon did have it in AD 367 (I think :confused: ) but the issue is not if some isolated individual or church or churches accepted it but in overall Christianity did not. Do you think in AD 100 a few years after Apostle John's death that most Churches if any had a idea of 27 New Testament books? since Christianity extented from the Middle East to parts of Northern Europe and communication was slow and most churches had only parts of the New Testament. :confused: :confused: