1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lion of Judah Enters

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by plain_n_simple, Apr 3, 2014.

1. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Just as diligently and carefully as writing copies of the scriptures for hundreds of years, the Jews read the scrolls in a continuous, careful, methodical way. It was an honor to read the scrolls at temple on the Sabbath. Jesus held that honor among others. He was the most well read, wisest teacher in town when it came to the Torah, customs, Jewish life, the law and the Prophets, and how to apply it. He wrote it. He did not reveal much more than what was commonly taught at the time because it was not yet His time. But imagine the clarity He gave when teaching about David's exploits and Abraham's journey. How Sampson fought the Philistines, Solomon s love song, The Flood, not that stupid movie. The elders would go to him for sharpening, a great resource this son of Joseph.

So Jesus is home in Nazareth and goes into the Temple. He has been going there all his life. The elders and town respect him, some maybe a little grudgingly. He has never been in sin. No person has ever seen him, or caught him in sin. Unlike every other child in Nazareth, Jesus has never ever committed the slightest offense. He was a mostly silent but powerful prodigy. Not famous but plain. It was irritating except the guy was so humble you forgot he was perfect. He was not haughty like a Dallas theologian. He has a humble heart and has no pride. He goes with the flow of the elders for 30 years. Never a ripple. Never offending. Always trusted. On top of being wise, humble and sinless, he had his own carpentry work though he probably qualified for temple pay.

Then one Sabbath after He was baptized and was filled with the Spirit, Jesus goes in the temple, and they hand him the Isaiah scroll. He stands up to read, but He doesn't start reading. A few seconds pass. Then a few more pass. The only sounds are throats clearing in the back and the scrolls gently rustling... He should of started by now.

Okay what's up. Feels like minutes pass. By now the elders are looking up wondering why the kid is stalling.

"Does he need water? Wait, he just blew past where we were reading and he knows it! You don't just jump to where you want to Jesus!"

But it's on and over in seconds. He has broke out of sequence, and chose what he wanted to read...

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord,"

"Did he just? He just closed the scroll! He just went out of sequence, chose what he wanted, didn't even finish the verse, and just stopped."

"Okay that is like 4 violations in a row. This better be good Jesus or you are gonna get blasted out of here quicker than a Calvinist tossing a tongue-talker through the stained glass!"

"Wait. Did he just read what I think He just read? He just read Isaiah in a chopped up way that makes it sound like he is God! That's as scripture twisting as a Catholic in a....wait a minute..he just sat down dude..that's like number 5 buddy.....wait.....he's gonna speak."

"This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears."

What an entrance! And then I look at what Jesus did not read, but stopped on purpose:

"and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;"

To me, in one verse and by shutting the book where He did, Jesus set the start of the age of grace, and separated righteous vengeance and judgement for another time. Awesome! God is not mad at us. God declared peace and grace to all men for this season, and judgement for another day, in one small comma.