1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord Looks Down & Shakes His Head

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Did you pray for the electricity for you or the dog, dogs have no need for electricity. You threw in the way that you feel about the dog and how you desire to have electricity. You've gone from the collective
    prayer requests of a group for special needs and jumped off the cliff into only your individual and emotional desires.

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This topic reflects on the issue of animal ethics. When I was an animal control officer, state certified, I attended a seminar at the CSU Vet School where the topic of animal ethics was analyzed and the concept was put forth that identified the different groups that worship animals. For example, comparisons were made between Buddhists and Rodeo Cowboys as extreme examples of different animal ethics.

I am starting to see the signs of animal worship in groups like PETA and other radical groups that ask for donations when PEOPLE are hurting and need the donations instead.

Why did I say this? My point: I have a busy life, and I spend as much time in prayer as I can; my PEOPLE list is very long, so I pray for what PEOPLE need, knowing that God knows all and will deal with everything in His own time and according to His will. The same with our church service, we have a busy schedule, and no prayer request is ignored, but if you say that you don't somewhat limit your time for requests, you are LYING, because all churches limit their time in services to an approx deadline - otherwise we would never get home. So we prioritize in church just as we do in life. The emerging churches seem to focus on trivial matters and not on the people needs of salvation and security in the life thereafter.

Therefore, I still say that the deacon mis-timed his request. When I say this, it has nothing to do with my sensitivity or my caring nature. It is just common sense.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why? Becaues God has your perspective on the world? Didn't Jesus say not "one of these (sparrows) falls to the ground with out the Father's knowledge of it" I think its wrong to impute our POV on to God indicating that he reacts as we would. "he is not a man"

4. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Amen! dcorbett hit the nail with a very large hammer. I'M an avid animal lover, but people are far more important just the Lord said each of us are worth many sparrows. It is animal worship to place them at a higher level than God does. Jesus died for men and their needs, not for animals!

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Just a few weeks ago we prayed that God would help us find our lost dog. I've even prayed when I lost my keys or the time I lost a spring to the starter on my lawnmower. Keys and springs are a lot lower than my dog but I believe that God answered all three prayers. I've also noticed that in the past year that five people that I have been praying for, concerning their need of Christ, have made public salvation decisions. Seems in my life that God is concerned with the small things as well as the big. Paul, if I took your uncaring and higher and thou admonishment to heart my wife and I would probably be grieving the loss of our dog, still searching for a lost starter spring (you are too spiritually mature for me to tell you how it was found) and I'm sure that I would have been changing the locks on my house. I don't worship my pets, starter springs, or keys. But, when I have a concern, no matter how small, I bring it to the Lord. Also, I don't have trouble asking others to pray with me. But, I'll be sure to leave you out of the loop the next time, seeing as you are too far along to pray with me about a lost pet or other non-spiritual issues. By the way, only a pharisee would suggest that praying for an animal is some form of animal worship.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I knew a woman who prayed for a tree in her yard that was dying, and God healed the tree. She also prayed for her washing machine that quit working, and it started working again. She was the most godly woman I ever knew.

It might seem a silly thing, but if it bothers us then God cares. Our petty concerns are something that He cares about. To most people who have pets, they are like one of the family to them. To lose a pet is like losing a family member; I know from persnal experience.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

So I guess if a group has a prayer need for dog that's ok??

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    heck, my sister rebuked a storm that caused a flood that caused their vehicle to flood out that caused the flood to carry the vehicle away that caused the vehicle to crash onto a tree.
    Then she prayed for the storm to subside or leave, and the vehicle to restart with one flip of the starter.
    Didn't happen.
    They all ended up being rescued by a farmer.
    The farmer took them all to his house where they "witnessed" to him and told him he was a sinner according to God.
    The farmer said he's never really been away that much from the farm all his life and very seldom interacted with other humans so he doesn't understand how God could say he was a sinner.
    BUT, if God said so, then he must be.
    I guess the Lord shook His head that day because here is a poor farmer who will not argue with Him and take His word for what He says he, the farmer is, while a lot of educated people will not.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree the timing was bad. It does give the impression that prayer for the animal was just as important as prayer for the family.

If something of that magnitude occurs, I will normally stop the requests and immediate began prayer for the family, going directly to them and, perhaps, asking those who so desire to stand around the family, hold hands or touch them on the shoulders as we pray. It shows them we are all focused on their needs at that moment and share (as best any Christian brethren can) the sorrow of their loss.

In defense of the deacon, aside from the timing, could it be that he promised the family he would bring the matter up for prayer (for the dog) from the church? He may have simply wanted to keep his promise to those under his care or who were friends.

peace to you:praying:

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just don't think we should associate our feelings and understanding with God's

11. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

God took care of your needs, not the needs of the items
    Why so insulting, sag? Do you place these items on the same level of importance as the salvation of a soul?
    There you go AGAIN, your needs
    The OP showed a human need, the a person inserted a need for a dog. That there indicates the dog to be on the same level as that family's grief.

Why is it you are so insulting to try to , fail, to get your point across?

Jesus said we are worth many sparrows. That alone tells me this: sparrows were offered of sins of the poor by the poor, but that was only for annual atonement. Jesus did for all of man's sins and that is The Atonement and once and for all. God gives more importance there for mankind as giving his Only Begotten Son for us.

I am not saying don't pray for material things or for pets, but to place them on the same level is a form of worshipping the creature.

If you want to think I am a pharisee, it is to your shame to make such a remark. You make it out of PURE ignorance.

12. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

There again, God took care of the trivial to help His child.

Casting all your care upon him, for he careth for you.

That verse means to pray for the things you care about and cause you distress and anxiety.

God is more concerned with you than with things.

13. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Sure, now you have to explain the soul of a dog and make it equalaterally of the same essence and importance of a man's soul.:type:

14. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Since we are supposed to be Christlike, can anyone show where Jesus prayed for dogs? (Only in the canine sense, not the Gentile sense):type:

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

you just don't understand do you when God says He cares to cast OUR care son Him. Whatever we care about He cares about. But thats beyond your understanding.

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If you are going to use that argument then I can turn it around on you. Where did He not? Good try Paul but that argument doesn't fly. You will have to try harder.

BTW: No one is praying for the soul of an animal. Salvation and the relationship that comes from knowing Christ is limited to humanity period. And, I think that most Christians understand that.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You need to take reading comprehension classes. NO WHERE did I say such a thing. Don't put words in my mouth. Thanks.

18. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Why is it we agree but you feel you have to insult me?

Should our care be about others and our circumstances as well? But why should the same esteem be placed upon items.

I have said we should pray for our brothers in what effects them emotionally and you say I don't understand.

I try not to insult you, ut it seems you have some sort of mental block when you respond to me and dcorbett as well.

19. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Why not call Jesus a pharisee like you did me then, he didn't include praying for animals on the same level as people. Maybe you think the Lord is slack concerning His promises.:type:

Yet you equate praying for dogs with praying for people.:type:

20. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I didn't say you said anything, but you do leave it wide open for that conclusion.

Why not just discuss what you're trying to say without all the insults. Is it somehow beyond you?

I notice a certain group of the very same members who respond to others the way you have mch too often. If you want me to pray for your dog rather than you, ok.:type:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.