1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Inquiring Mind, Oct 12, 2006.

?
  1. High

74.4%
  2. Mediocre

12.8%
  3. Low

10.3%
  4. No Idea what you are talking about

2.6%
  1. nate

nate New Member

Personally I'm a big fan of the books and the movies.:thumbsup:

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

No sir. You are sadly mistaken. I SAID they are "drivel". I SAID I enjoyed them when I was a child. The difference is once I was lost (a child) but now I am a man (saved). As a lost person, I enjoyed them, as a saved man, now, I think they are DRIVEL.
    drivel
    DRIVEL, v.i. drivl. from the root of drip.
    1. To slaver; to let spittle drop or flow from the mouth, like a child, idiot or dotard.
    2. To be weak or foolish; to dote; as a driveling hero; driveling love.
    DRIVEL, n.
    1. Slaver; saliva flowing from the mouth.
    2. A driveller; a fool; an idiot. Not used.

BTW, Am I not entitled to my opinion of that slop just as much as you are?

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Jne1611:
    Uh, there is a difference (HUGE difference) in Salvic Good -as in Jesus stated only God is good [perfect/without sin] not that man does NO good things.

Unless you consider Jesus wrong when He states:
    When a child is hungry do you give him a stone
    or when he is thirsty do you give him a serpent. - This qualifies as good but not something that isn't tainted by unrighteousness

HOw is God a liar when He states:
    You RIGHEOUSNESS is as filthy rags. righeousness is a term for goodness but their good is tainted and therefore not salvic in nature but common.

These are just to name a few.

Another thought: HOwever I didn't say culture I said releigion but that aside:
    Do those people who hold to Judas as a hero claim his self-sacrifice was a pathetic attempt at repentence. The reason I ask is that from their perspective what he did was construed as self-sacrifice which maybe why they think of him as a "hero".

#43 Allan, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
  4. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

And we in turn are entitled to debate your opinion, particularly when you state quite clearly that the LotR is not something a Christian should read. Maybe you would care to back up that argument.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

and just when I thought we could find anything else to argue about...

6. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not certain if you're laughing or crying - or both.

Look at it positively. Edwad Gibbon once said, "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." So maybe all this arguing simply means we respect each other alot?:tonofbricks:

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Care to post where I SAID a Christian should not read it?
    Put up or shut up.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

You don't know what you are talking about. Read the books. You know nothing of their perspective. What I SAID was their highest ideal is BETRAYAL OF A FRIEND. Their 'religion' is one of Death. They WERE head hunters until Richardson brought them the gospel. They knew NOTHING of 'self-sacrifice' or 'repentance' as you put it.
    Read the books. The man, (Richardson) was a great Missionary to these people. Perhaps you could learn something about communication from him.

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Touchy, touchy, me thinks you need to lay off the caffeine, it's making you irritable.

While not in so many words, the implication is clear, you don't think Christians should read the LoTR.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Methinks you are a bit touchy.

It seems to me that the implication is clear that he thinks they are not right for him. He thinks they are drivel.

Nowhere does he say, "It's clear they are drivel and you shouldn't read them if you're a real Christian."

For me, drinking is wrong. But, the Bible doesn't say it's wrong in and of itself, and I would not deign to play God and tell you that as a real Christian, you shouldn't drink, either.

I like reading science books (particularly physics), economics texts, and history books, in addition to scholarly works concerning the Greek language, and the Scriptures in particular. I've been told that they are drivel and as a Christian, I should not study the Greek language because that just confuses things.

That's just an opinion as well, albeit on a different scale.

He said that it's his opinion that it's drivel, and he's not interested in it.

I have a feeling that if he simply said, "I think it's drivel", that he would not have had the same response that he did by stating why he thinks it's drivel.

11. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Hope, he linked his change in opinion on LoTR with his conversion. That kind of link strongly suggests an underlying feeling that it is sinful to read the LoTR.

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Methinks you are under conviction or something. You keep trying to read into my comments things which are clearly NOT there. Perhaps YOU think a Christain ought not read them and yer looking for a fight 'cuz you really like them.

Is it sinful for a man to wear his hair long? No. But since being saved, I DON'T DO IT!!! Get it?

Upon conversion MANY things and opinions of mine have changed. Does it mean they were/are sinful? NO.

Get over it. Yer wrong pal.

13. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I think it is you who is looking for the fight as you seem to be the most energetic, shall we say, in making your responses.

A simple no I don't think it is a sin would have sufficed but instead you respond with 'put up or shut up'. To which I responded with your quote that indicated such a conclusion. You could have simple disabused the notion but you haven't. In fact, to be honest I see much double speak. You claim it is not a sin yet at the same time you avoid as if it were. Maybe you would care to explain why when you had a positive outlook on the books it turned to such a negative after your conversion.

Obviously I do not think watching or reading LoTR is a sin otherwise I would not have objected to somebody insinuating that it is.

14. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

It would have been nice to know from what perspective you wanted our opinion.

The acting
    The photography
    The story line
    Good by the power of men overcoming evil

You get the picture no pun intended

thjplgvp

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

It was a thought interjected into the coversation, thus the term "ANOTHER THOUGHT" I was not stating THIS IS WHY or anything of the sort but what about...

For a believer (I assume) you have a pretty bad attitude.

Please remember that communication is the ability to express or convey a thought and or ideas and that it can be accurately conveyed agian.

Very few are adept at such a feat!

16. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was forced to read The Hobbit in high school and I kind of liked it so I read the LOTR books. Years later, I am not into fiction anymore and only read non-fiction. I looked at a LOTR book at Walmart when the movie first came out and went what the heck is this junk. I just could not see wasting my time reading it again.