1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Lord's Supper

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Squire Robertsson, Mar 2, 2002.

?
  1. Weekly

44.4%
  2. Monthly

43.2%
  3. Quarterly

12.3%
  4. Annualy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We already have an essay poll. But, let's get some basic stats. Your comments are welcome.
    These definitions are only guidelines for this poll. More can be and has been written about them in other places.</font>
    • Closed Communion-Only members of a given local church may participate in the commemoration.</font>
    • Close Communion-Members in good standing of a given local church and those present from churchs of like faith and practice may participate. </font>
    • Open Communion-All persons present who profess Christ as Savior may participate</font>

[ March 23, 2002, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: The Squire ]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good poll. Will bring the responses and our church practices into focus.

Wish you would have had "Non-alcoholic wine" as an option. Grape juice is full of leaven; wine isn't. But you can go thru the fermentation process, then remove the alcohol. It is a truer pix of blood of Christ.

BTW, did you know that all of our blood has yeast in it? Only purpose, according to my wife the doctor, is to help the body decay more quickly and thoroughly when we die.

3. Herself

Herself New Member

I answered for the EC-B church we attend in Sacramento.
    Your Sister in Christ,
    Anna G.

4. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info Dr. Bob. That would explain why we have this bloated constitution at times. ;)

[ March 03, 2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I want this to be an on-going poll, I bumping it up.

6. Christopher

Christopher New Member

The Primitive Baptist churches use fermented wine and unleavened bread just like the early church. Fermented wine is used because grape juice contains leaven, which is a symbol of sin in scripture. It is clear that the church at Corinth used alcoholic wine because Paul condemned them for turning communion into a drunken festival. Had they not been using fermented wine they could not have been drunk. Paul never condemned them for the use of alcoholic wine, but for drinking it in excess (which he speaks against in other parts of scripture). The Bible says that an elder nor a deacon are to be drunk with wine by drinking excessive amounts. Obviously this is fermented wine that Paul is referring to or else there would have been no warning to not drink excessive amounts. Surely Paul didn't have a problem with elders and deacons drinking grape juice.

By His grace, Chris

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe that why my wife calls me a li'l stinker; I'm decaying, but just slower since I'm not dead!(?) (I do eat a LOT of bread---sourdough!) :D :D :D

8. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    So by your own admission, it is not the yeast in the blood for the aroma surrounding your physical attributes..... ;)

[ April 26, 2002, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Rev. Sam

Rev. Sam New Member

I liked your poll I think many average Church members don't know the difference in the different communions. I wished you would explain it for those who don't know.

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. A.J.Armitage

A.J.Armitage New Member

I think you guys have the right idea there.

14. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is more important--what is used as elements(wine vs grape juice, etc), or the One Who made the elements--the One Whom we remember as we partake the elements?

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought the thread was dead, but then it came to life again ...

This is a link to a very interesting thesis on the Lord's Supper. While I'm not convinced the different views spring from Calvinism, it describes a view of the ordinance that is more than symbolic, yet less than sacramental. From my personal experience, there's a lot of agree with there.

http://bonaire.1stbaptist.org/comunionpaper.htm

[ May 04, 2002, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church practices open communion. It's usually done on Sunday night, probably to minimize the possibility that nonmembers will be there. The last time was on Maundy Thursday, and it was a blessed experience. BTW, I am not officially a member there, but I sing in the choir.

I have attended churches that practice close or closed communion, and I think it's largely a matter of the size of the church. When you have a small congregation, it's easy to police membership. With thousands of members, it's not.

I see no problem with open communion. The Lord's Supper is not sacramental.

17. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

My Church offers the Lord's Supper to all saved people who have received believer's baptism by Immersion. It's not technically either Close or Open though it would probably be closer to Close.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I wish there was another choice on the frequency of observance. We do it bi-monthly and at Christmas & Good Friday

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

To the above forum "Rocket-Scientists!" Just were oh where did you all conjure up the idea that grape juice(aka Welch's, Wal-Mart brand, etc.) contains leaven but wine doesn't? Just WHAT do you guys smoke while you're preaching that?!!

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    blackbird, I really can't speak for Welch's and Wal-Mart, but real grape juice does contain leaven. It does not require any addition of leaven to ferment. Maybe you should check your science! :D