1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The lost sheep of Israel

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Truth.

2. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. - Jer. 31:3

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I read it you are wrong.
    ". . . For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. . . ."
    The circumcision are the Israel of God. The uncircumcision are the them.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry, but I know of no commentary that understands the verse in your way. They see it as saying the opposite.

Ellicotts Commentary: And upon the Israel of God.—The benediction is addressed, not to two distinct sets of persons (“those who walk by this rule” and “the Israel of God”), but to the same set of persons described in different ways.

Barnes Notes: And upon the Israel of God - The true church of God; all who are his true worshippers

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown: Israel of God—not the Israel after the flesh, among whom those teachers wish to enrol you; but the spiritual seed of Abraham by faith (Ga 3:9, 29; Ro 2:28, 29; Php 3:3).

Expositor's Greek Testament: καί is not properly copulative here, but intensive. Those who walk by the rule of the Spirit are declared to be indeed the true Israel of God, not the Jews who have the name of Israel, but are really only children of Abraham after the flesh.​

#24 Van, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another myth proclaimed by some is that "the sheep" is always the same group as "my sheep." However, if the sheep refers to humanity, and my sheep refers to those placed within Christ's spiritual body, then they can refer to two very different groups.
    Another confusion factor is that the same phrase can be used for different groups in different illustrations. Thus in Matthew 25:32, obviously "the sheep" in contrast to "goats" does indeed refer to those who belong to Christ. And in another illustration, again "the sheep" refers to those saved, John 10:3.

Now in John 10:11, Christ begins another illustration. Here the "Good Shepherd" lays down His life for "the sheep." Since Christ died as a ransom for all, and became the means of salvation for all humanity, we can conclude "the sheep" in this illustration refers to all humanity.

In Hebrews 13:20 again "the sheep" refers to those that belong to Christ.

In John 10:26 we see the phrase "of My sheep." Here the group in view is not those who belong to Christ nor to all humanity, but to those of humanity who are open to God's word. These are those who make the fields "white with harvest." Not yet belonging to Christ, but are open to the idea.

In Matthew 9:36 and Mark 6:34, we see Jesus refer to groups of unsaved people as sheep without a shepherd.

Bottom line, do not think "the sheep" always refers to those belonging to Jesus.

6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A bias of false teaching that the Church is Israel. In the text, verse 16, the "them" are the "uncircumcised" in contrast to "the Israel of God." Both are equally in Christ, per Galatians 6:15.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have shown my view of Galatians 6:16 is widely held, and your view is not easily found. Not much more I can say...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 10:6
    but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Matthew 15:24
    But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

The widely held view is that Jesus was sent initially to Jews, and subsequently, after His death on the cross, to all mankind. But if He was going to lay down His life as a ransom for all, then He was actually sent to Gentiles as well as Jews.

So let us consider these verses. First Matthew 10:6 describes where at that time and place Jesus sent His disciples, and thus fits with the idea of spreading the gospel message first to Jews, as the most receptive audience, and then after the body of Christ was built up, to spread the word to all the earth.

The second verse (Matthew 15:24) tells that Jesus says to a Canaanite women that He was sent "only" to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. But He subsequently helps the woman because of her faith. Apparently people of faith are part of the "house of Israel" in God's eyes.

Does the verse actually say "lost sheep?" The Greek word translated "lost" actually means "destroyed" or "ruined" or "perishing."

And to what does "house or household" refer? Members of the group in view.

Which brings us to "of Israel." Here we see that the members of Israel are in view. Under the Old Covenant we know that term is used to refer to believers of God. And in the New Testament, we know that the Israel of God includes Gentiles. (Galatians 6:16)

So it seems possible the idea is Jesus was sent only to the Israel of God who are perishing.

Thus Jesus Christ was sent for everyone who believes such that God credits their "all in" faith in Christ. Gee John 3:16 is spot on.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, [?Israel of God?] saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel [?Israel of God?] shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel [?Israel of God?] for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. Ex 31:12-17

Just asking.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Percho, I suspect you are asking which of the many "Israel" usages refer to "all Israel" also called "the Israel of God?"

Do not look for the answer in the Old Testament, as the true nature of the Israel of God is revealed in the New Testament.

Romans 10:21 (NASB)
    But as for Israel, He says, “I HAVE SPREAD OUT MY HANDS ALL DAY LONG TO A DISOBEDIENT AND OBSTINATE PEOPLE.”

Galatians 6:16 (NASB)
    And all who will follow this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.​

In these two NT verses we see "Israel" used to refer to biological descendants of Abraham, those believing and those not believing, (Romans 10:21) and for an entirely different group, termed "all Israel" and the Israel of God in the NT.

Here are the verses where "All Israel" refers to everyone saved, Jews and Gentiles:
    Romans 9:6 (NASB)
    But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel;

Romans 11:26 (NASB)
    and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written,
    “THE DELIVERER WILL COME FROM ZION,
    HE WILL REMOVE UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB.” ​