1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Louisiana Holdup of the American Taxpayer Begins

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by carpro, Sep 26, 2005.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Louisiana Goes After Federal Billions

By Michael Grunwald and Susan B. Glasser
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Monday, September 26, 2005; A01

Louisiana's congressional delegation has requested $40 billion for Army Corps of Engineers projects in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, about 10 times the annual Corps budget for the entire nation, or 16 times the amount the Corps has said it would need to protect New Orleans from a Category 5 hurricane.

Louisiana Sens. David Vitter (R) and Mary Landrieu (D) tucked the request into their $250 billion Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief and Economic Recovery Act, the state's opening salvo in the scramble for federal dollars.

The bill, unveiled last week, would create a powerful "Pelican Commission" controlled by Louisiana residents that would decide which Corps projects to fund, and ordered the commission to consider several controversial navigation projects that have nothing to do with flood protection. The Corps section of the Louisiana bill, which was supported by the entire state delegation, was based on recommendations from a "working group" dominated by lobbyists for ports, shipping firms, energy companies and other corporate interests.

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I would just as soon not pay for the rebuilding, but I know I probably will.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dangerous precedents are being set with this, just like the 9-11 payments to survivors

I've no doubt that down the road these decisions will come back to haunt us!

The gov't teat is getting more & more encompasing.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist