1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Manhattan Declaration: standing for life and marriage

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by shodan, Sep 18, 2010.

1. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

his is a major Christian declaration on marriage and right to life.

They want at least a million signatures.

http://www.manhattandeclaration.org/home.aspx

Have you read and signed it? Email the info to your church and Christian friends.

From BreakPoint:
    Chuck Colson

"Just two weeks ago I was in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for a rally on behalf of the Manhattan Declaration. It was organized by the Catholic Archbishop of New Mexico, Michael Sheehan, and a former congressman named Bill Redmond, who is a Centurion graduate....

"There were representatives from across the denominational spectrum: Southern Baptists, Nazarenes, Assemblies of God, Methodists, Presbyterians, Catholics. The Church had come together...."

http://www.breakpoint.org/bpcommentaries/entry/13/15280

2. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Why Sign and distribute?

From the Manhattan Declaration:

WHY SHOULD I SIGN?

Because it is Important for the Church
    The central concerns of the Manhattan Declaration – Life, Marriage and Liberty – have been treasured and defended by biblically guided churches throughout history and across traditions. The Manhattan Declaration courageously addresses these vital issues of our day with principles that are consistent with the best values of the historic church. Also, it helps today’s church speak with a new tone of respectful compassion in the national discourse.

Because it is Important for the Nation
    The Manhattan Declaration is a statement of principles, not a political action plan. The Declaration’s aim is to alert secular leaders and other influences of our culture that Christians of many different traditions are already united in fundamental convictions regarding biblical morality and conscience. We are deeply concerned about legislative and judicial actions that: deny value to the innocent, weak and aged; dismantle historic protections and definitions for families, children and marriage; and, impose legal strictures contrary to the constitutional freedoms long provided for people and institutions of faith in America. The Declaration reminds the nation as well as the church that the Christian conscience is bound to Christ. We cannot love him or our nation well if we refuse to address challenges to morality and liberty that we believe will unravel the social fabric that protects all her citizens.

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I signed it back when it first came out. I received a lot of grief over at the Puritan board for doing so since many Catholics endorsed it. I don't feel I'm endorsing Catholic doctrine by agreeing with them about the moral situation in America. I like Glenn Beck and most of what he says politically, but in no way do I endorse his theological views.