1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Manhattan Declaration

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by kyredneck, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

As the article, and I myself stated, there are many doctrinal differences, of this there is no doubt. But I do not see that personally as reason to suggest withdrawal of my fellowship from one who worships our Lord as a member of the catholic faith.

3. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Im missing something, would someone explain the objection. If You were in a burning building on the third floor and a Roman Catholic gave you a ladder would you refuse to use it?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Fellowship means that you share faith with -- I do not share the same faith as the Roman Catholic faith. Would a Roman Catholic Church allow me to have communion/Eucharist with them? No, they would not. So they do not "fellowship" with non-Catholics, either. That is the basis of my objection but merely an example that it is on their side as well.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, unless I'm suicidal.
    But then the question can be turned around.
    If the Roman Catholic were in distress in that burning building, would one refuse to hand him a ladder because he's not a Christian ?

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is not about handing a ladder to anyone. This is a red herring.

The issue is signing a document that makes certain presumptions and assertions.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Please forgive my lack of clarity, I intended a more general, less theological usage of "fellowhip". But yes, there are "matters" of faith that I do share with my catholic brothers and sisters. If that makes me "anathema" here, so be it.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If you believe that salvation is by faith alone, then they have declared you to be anathema, according to the Council of Trent.
    http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aiia/james2-24.html

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

They are correct in refusing me communion [Even if that good Southern Baptist did sneak in!] and I would not allow them to take communion in the Church of which I am a member; assuming I could or anyone else cared.

In fact if I took communion, the Eucharist, with the Roman Catholics I would be guilty of blasphemy. In fact it would be improper for me to take communion with any paedo-baptist denomination.

That being said I have no problems with Roman Catholics voting the same way I do on abortion, homosexual marriage, etc.

10. OldRegular

I read the Manhattan Declaration and have no problem with it. I could not have said the same about the "Statement on Justification" issued some time back.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, okay. I take the other view and I think the links I provided give good reasons for not signing it.

12. OldRegular

I don't believe that DR. Albert Mohler would sign anything that compromised the non Roman Catholic theology.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't have enough faith in any man to go by an assumption like this. Too many evangelicals have fallen into some bad stuff. Chuck Colson is admired but he signed the ECT document and promoted it. I can't even think of one evangelical "leader" that I don't disagree with something on.

14. OldRegular

The ECT was a theological document. the Manhattan Declaration is a social behavioral /political document.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But there seems to be an assumption that there are theological agreements, which is why some would not sign it. Sometimes labels don't reveal the whole truth. Some groups have a reason to promote this; for example, the RCC is actively trying to bring non-Catholic Christians into their camp.

If you watch how people fall into different camps (or cults), it's not usually via theology, but rather through exposure, seeing how "nice" the people are, and then believing such "nice" people couldn't be wrong.